Kelowna's answer to Crime?

Brerrabbit18
Fledgling

Kelowna's answer to Crime?

Post by Brerrabbit18 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... ave#314961

I don't know about you, but if this is our new Top Cop, I'm more than a little concerned.

I've never read an interview that contained more "it's not our fault" excuses. Unbelievable.

Doesn't bode well for the future of policing in Kelowna.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Kelowna's answer to Crime?

Post by TylerM4 »

I've got to agree.

She's likely right on some of this. But man is this girl tone deaf. So many concerns raised via the community over the last couple of years saying "things are getting out of control". Now a report comes out that says "Things are out of control" and their response is to blame the data gathering process.

They need to acknowledge that there's a problem if they expect citizens to take them seriously. Message we get is "They have their heads buried in the sand" - not listening to citizens or independent reports/evaluations.

Edit: Gender pronouns
Last edited by TylerM4 on Oct 30th, 2020, 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

The crime stats speak for themselves. No excuse for it. Most citizens know how much crime has risen. The report is very accurate. Two things Mayor and Council can do, 1 address the problem or 2,just ignore it. My guess, proven with their in action in the past, No, 2 it will be.
DarbyD
Übergod

Post by DarbyD »

He is a she. Kelowna's top cop is a woman for those who haven't been keeping up to date.
I'm not your enemy. We have a difference of opinion, and I can live with that. Can you?
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

DarbyD wrote:He is a she. Kelowna's top cop is a woman for those who haven't been keeping up to date.

Thank you for that! Hard to tell from that pic in the article. Great to see a women holding that title!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

One of Kelowna's finest rode past us on his bike towing someone's blue recycling bin behind him. They use these bins to load around stolen goods from yards. And it is stolen!

It's crime like this that is tough to stamp out without actually getting buddy off the bike all day and into something constructive. I do wonder what the police can actually do with all these street people accustomed to not answering to anyone.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I would hate her job, basically a Pawn. Walking into a problem city like Kelowna and being held responsible for the past problems.
I hope she can make a difference, but she still has the same bosses answer to.

I wonder if these old, frowned upon systems would work.
Where they transport these repeat offenders a couple hundred km into the middle of nowhere on a cold winter day. Then let them find their own way back.

As a next step, I like the First Nations approach of Exile onto a remote island for 1+ years.
No additional supplies, make your own shelter and find your own food.

Both systems may seem harsh, but they were known as an effective dererant.
I suspetct that most of the problems would either move, or straighten up fast.
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

I think I've heard these claims once or twice before but we are told not to worry because the reported crime numbers are completely distorted ?

I wonder how long Supt. Kara Triance will hold this post before being shuffled along either sideways or to some upward position ?

She does have a nice smile.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Until there is a return to Vagrant Laws and a place to put them I suspect there is no viable solution at all.
I know I've said this in another thread, but there should no longer be a "live on the street" option.
No supports for street living, supports for living in low income housing yes, but not street living.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

The explanations from the RCMP concerning Kelowna's high crime rate is typical from other explanations from the past:
"Kelowna is a vacation destination"; "one offender commits many of the crimes" ; etc., Supt. Mckinnon several years ago used the same reasoning. Adding at the time; a John Deere gator painted white that used to roam the downtown, now in mothballs somewhere; numerous bike patrols.Now not so much.Officers doing "policing" that is not really policing. Directing traffic, returning stolen bikes to their owner and so on.
McKinnon suggested horse patrols for the beach.(Kamloops has them).Traffic enforcement is almost non existent.
Some may disagree but my suggestion is the Kelowna detachment has a dysfunction problem. It seems to have more than its share of problems within the detachment.Officers charged with assault; allegations of assaults not handled properly;early departures of commanding officers before their time.
Officers posted to Kelowna with limited experience
Perhaps part of the the answer is the result of management by senior officers
Another big problem for the RCMP at the community level is they take their orders from afar...Ottawa.Those in charge there are in many cases are out of touch.Commissioners close to retirement after 30 plus years of policing spend the next 5 years staying below the radar before they head out the door.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Basaran, the mayor who declared Kelowna is safe just a short year or so ago

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... ime#315014

RCMP cant' do it all.

Soooooo, are you telling Judges to step up with harsher sentences, longer jail terms?
Because suggesting you are suggesting vigilante groups may have to step up would be asinine.

If I were casting about for a business op right now, it would be in property security.

Surveillance
Fencing, Gates,
Cameras, video
Inventive ways to make climbing fences un-inviting, within the law.
Window security

Because the criminal can't be detained permanently.

You'd be busy til you retire at age 90.
LivinginKelowna
Board Meister

Post by LivinginKelowna »

TylerM4 wrote:
DarbyD wrote:He is a she. Kelowna's top cop is a woman for those who haven't been keeping up to date.

Thank you for that! Hard to tell from that pic in the article. Great to see a women holding that title!

How about "great that they picked the best person for the position".

I don't care if it is a man or woman, we just need to see things change

Anarchy is coming when citizens finally start to take back their neighborhoods from the people causing the disruption
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

If you're on the right fb sites you see more and more people are calling for exactly that.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

QueenK has actually said this many times..if WE want crime in our city to be recognized and taken seriously, than we ALL have to report every single crime that happens to us, big or small..get a police file

and Marvingardens you are 100% spot on..
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

LivinginKelowna wrote:

How about "great that they picked the best person for the position".

When will the day come when we can celebrate progress made against sexism without someone making some sort of an implication that she only got the job because she was a women? I don't have any doubt she's the best person for the job - why do you?

Return to “Central Okanagan”