Please Don't Buy Renters Insurance Just Start A Gofundme

Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Please Don't Buy Renters Insurance Just Start A Gofundme

Post by Hmmm »

Of course its a tragedy when someone loses a home to a fire or flood. But renters insurance is not that expensive at all and there is always some excuse for not having it. And it seems today you don't need it. When tragedy strikes, just put your hand out and ask others to save you because you wanted that Tims coffee daily instead of the $40 a month or less towards protecting your family. I hope you who still don't have insurance but do have excuses will learn from yet another sad case of victomitus. https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/315847/Family-loses-everything-in-mobile-home-fire#315847 i do feel bad for the family, but its always the same thing when this happens and the same excuses.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Please Don't Buy Renters Insurance Just Start A Gofundme

Post by TylerM4 »

I agree with your message about renters insurance.

But wanted to point out:
1) Someone else opened this GoFundMe in their name.
2) Are you sure it's a rented home? Article and GoFundMe if anything lead the reader to believe they owned the home.
3) How do you know they don't have insurance?
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Reading the article it does say they owned the home and nowhere does it say they don't have insurance.

According to a GoFundMe campaign, the mobile home belonged to the Samm family, who lost everything to the blaze.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

ferri wrote:Reading the article it does say they owned the home and nowhere does it say they don't have insurance.

If they have insurance it can take the Insurance Co forever to pay up anything. In the interim they might need funds to live and get back on their feet.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I would hope someone cares enough about me to start a gofundme campaign if I was involved in a house fire.
I could always turn it down if i didn't need it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

stuphoto wrote:I would hope someone cares enough about me to start a gofundme campaign if I was involved in a house fire.
I could always turn it down if i didn't need it.

Good point. Or donate it to the next fire victim's gofundme.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

stuphoto wrote:I would hope someone cares enough about me to start a gofundme campaign if I was involved in a house fire.

I'd donate, you sound like a nice person.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Mobile homes never fair well with fire, they are tinderbox.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Seen on a local FB page posted from the resident that they don’t own the home, one of their parents did. The parents had no insurance and they had no tenants insurance. So zero coverage all the way around
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Bsuds wrote:
ferri wrote:Reading the article it does say they owned the home and nowhere does it say they don't have insurance.

If they have insurance it can take the Insurance Co forever to pay up anything. In the interim they might need funds to live and get back on their feet.

If they have insurance then why is the gofundme for $100,000? I'm just putting two and two together.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Even Steven wrote:
I'd donate, you sound like a nice person.
If you dont have proper cheap coverage and were irresponsible, plus a friend, i would also donate and then hope you learned your lesson. I am just hoping more people who read this forum and their story will get off their butts and purchase basic, cheap insurance.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

vegas1500 wrote:Seen on a local FB page posted from the resident that they don’t own the home, one of their parents did. The parents had no insurance and they had no tenants insurance. So zero coverage all the way around

Even if they had insurance in this situation the insurance company would probably argue that it's family owned and not pay out tenants insurance.
Or call them tenants and not pay property insurance.
Without a fight anyway.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

stuphoto wrote:
vegas1500 wrote:Seen on a local FB page posted from the resident that they don’t own the home, one of their parents did. The parents had no insurance and they had no tenants insurance. So zero coverage all the way around

Even if they had insurance in this situation the insurance company would probably argue that it's family owned and not pay out tenants insurance.
Or call them tenants and not pay property insurance.
Without a fight anyway.

If the owner is a different entity than the resident, then both the owner and the tenant would have to have their own coverage based upon what they own.
Nobody can have insurance coverage on something they don't own.
If an owner has personal belongings at a different address than they reside at, they will need a "rider" added to their residential insurance where they live.
Similarly, if it has wheels, (car, truck, trailer) they must have their own policy. Just like tools that are over and above what would be owned by a regular homeowner. (regular homeowner would not have $50K in tools) the same goes for the amount of jewelry.
Only a percentage of the property that is in a storage locker will be covered, anything that are "tools of the trade" must also have a rider for their coverage. If you want to have coverage for those tools on a job-site or during transport, they will need to be covered by a commercial policy.

When in doubt, ask your insurance provider and read the small print on your policy.
Bring back the LIKE button.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

GordonH wrote:Mobile homes never fair well with fire, they are tinderbox.

We used to call them chimneys on edge. They get fully involved pretty quickly.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

They are both not very smart!

If they can't be bothered to protect themselves then why should everyone else pay for their mistakes.

I feel sorry for the kids losses though. It's not their fault.

Return to “Central Okanagan”