Portland Oregon slams the lid in public toilet costs

Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Portland Oregon slams the lid in public toilet costs

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

Kelowna city council is discussing the costs of providing public toilets throughout the city.
The leader in public loos is Portland, Oregon, where they have installed a number of these at minumul cost: 90 thousand dollars each.
City staff in Kelowna informed council they are installing a Portland loo in Rowcliffe Park.
The cost? 280 thousand dollars.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... costs-down
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Portland Oregon slams the lid in public toilet costs

Post by the truth »

friends of friends getting nice contracts $$$$$
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Mrmarvingardens wrote:Kelowna city council is discussing the costs of providing public toilets throughout the city.
The leader in public loos is Portland, Oregon, where they have installed a number of these at minumul cost: 90 thousand dollars each.
City staff in Kelowna informed council they are installing a Portland loo in Rowcliffe Park.

The $90K is in USD, which is about $120K in CAD, plus shipping and installation.

Nelson budgeted $140K for one and Kamloops $370K

http://nelsonpolice.ca/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/144
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.4556131
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I realize at times it is easier and more cost effective to use a builder who has all the plans and likely produces the stainless fixtures.

I do hope at the very least they checked with local contractors, as those who built the Kelowna Detachment cells. It might be less using local. Just a thought.

As for spending large dollars for public washroom, maybe putting effort on those who will use / abuse might be money better spent in the long run. I'm just hoping they don't become wet houses for drug abuse.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

OKkayak wrote:
Mrmarvingardens wrote:Kelowna city council is discussing the costs of providing public toilets throughout the city.

The $90K is in USD, which is about $120K in CAD, plus shipping and installation.

Nelson budgeted $140K for one and Kamloops $370K

http://nelsonpolice.ca/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/144
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.4556131

We have a 24 hour a day public loo in Kamloops? :200:
At $370,000 plus $55,000 a year to maintain? Holy crap.
I'm not sure if that ever went through, but from the various stains found around the downtown at times, it either wasn't installed or the losers don't give a damn (which is what I expect).
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

By Adam Toy 770 CHQR
Posted June 17, 2019:

Crime has spiked in the area around the supervised consumption site at the Sheldon M. Chumir Centre, Ward 8 councillor Evan Woolley said on Monday, and in locations in the Beltline.

“One such situation is in and around Tomkins Park on 17th Avenue S.W.,” Woolley said Monday in a council meeting.

“A number of the business owners are expressing concerns around the automated public toilet.”

Woolley said the public toilet is being used to consume drugs.

That sucks.
Attachments
tomkins-park-auto-toilets.jpg
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... costs-down

Gyro's washroom is be-a-u-tiful. Why only a 50-year lifespan, though? Vandalism proof is a huge plus.

My mom sent me in to a public washroom one evening in some park in Kelowna when I was about 9 years old (years ago). There was a man sleeping on the floor. I turned around and left. My mom made me pee outside. lol
firsttimecaller
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by firsttimecaller »

Public toilets tend in Kelowna tend to be more of a place for junkies to hide out while they shove a needle in their arm, unfortunately.

I've had to shoo the *bleep* junkies out of the city park bathroom so my kids could go pee. Charming, right?
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

bb49 wrote:
We have a 24 hour a day public loo in Kamloops? :200:
At $370,000 plus $55,000 a year to maintain? Holy *bleep*.
I'm not sure if that ever went through, but from the various stains found around the downtown at times, it either wasn't installed or the losers don't give a damn (which is what I expect).

55k a year to maintain a crapper? it better come with concierge service
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

firsttimecaller wrote:Public toilets tend in Kelowna tend to be more of a place for junkies to hide out while they shove a needle in their arm, unfortunately.

I've had to shoo the *bleep* junkies out of the city park bathroom so my kids could go pee. Charming, right?

basran and his clowns would call you a liar, as there are no junkies causing problems :200:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

The politicians have won when all we do is whine about it on a Castanet forum and don't do anything substantial when we see the kinds of numbers for the cost of a toilet that mostly junkies will use. Where has the common sense in politics gone. But we are all just as guilty of being complacent and not doing anything about it or getting vocal about it to the right ears. Can anybody get us together on the same page to make this madness stop.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

oldtrucker wrote:
the truth wrote:friends of friends getting nice contracts $$$$$

But....but.... It's the Canadian way.

It's how I get a certain portion of my work also...
so there is that !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

oldtrucker wrote:
the truth wrote:friends of friends getting nice contracts $$$$$

But....but.... It's the Canadian way.

are leader jt and basran have made that pretty clear

Return to “Central Okanagan”