"Mobility Tax" looming ..

Sparki55
Guru

Re: "Mobility Tax" looming ..

Post by Sparki55 »

Staredintoabyss wrote:There is a limit to what people can endure when the issue is how poorly managed and "planned" Kelowna is, and when the normal mechanisms fail peaceful protest is an essential right and step in pushing back. Again I highlight: peaceful protest.

Nah, what will happen is they will set the mobility pricing low enough so it only inconveniences the bottom 10% of society enough to care. The rest of us will just pay the $60 a month it costs to drive thru the city.

Same as carbon taxes, we all moaned at first and then just skipped a few extra purchases to pay for fuel.

The next generation will have more added to their burden.

Only 18,000 residents out of about 100,000 eligible voters cast their ballot for the current mayor. So 18% of our citizens get to decide. Only 30% total voted at all in the election. If people don't go use their voice at the polls, more dumb things will happen as the council knows that we don't care.
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

Staredintoabyss wrote:This kind of thing I would hope would lead to genuine political protests.
Leaders having protests in front of their offices, leaders having protests outside of their home, leaders not being able to ignore the people they hurt.

There is a limit to what people can endure when the issue is how poorly managed and "planned" Kelowna is, and when the normal mechanisms fail peaceful protest is an essential right and step in pushing back. Again I highlight: peaceful protest.

If its peaceful the media won't cover it and no one will care. Politics is about being seen and not sitting in the shadows hoping someone notices.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

vegas1500 wrote:For every one that thought the spec tax was “great”..... I hope this tax comes into play. Open the door and allow one tax, more will follow.

Council needs a wakeup call, to remind them they were NOT voted in, to sit on their arses dreaming up creative ways to extort money from us! :cuss:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
t76turbo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by t76turbo »

Can’t wait till they implement a forum tax. They’ll tax each letter written.

Our responses to dumb ideas will look like “.....,...?”
I really like your post, just can’t find the button. I’m part of the fringe minority.
Defund the CBC? You bet, they are part of the spreading hate machine, protecting their captain!
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by ckil »

Kelowna has a huge misconception about itself. Why locals and the municipal government compare themselves to Vancouver is beyond me. We have a fraction of the population. It cannot afford a transit system as good as the LM nor will it be until the population is closer 1 million people (roughly 100 years down the road). If Kelowna was concerned about anything to do with traffic, it would get rid of numerous stop lights in favor of roundabouts and build a ring-road outside of Harvey. Having moved here from Vancouver last sprig, the traffic here is a nightmare in relation to Vancouver.
Staredintoabyss
Board Meister

Post by Staredintoabyss »

Same problem the council has we have on these forums: tons of experts thinking they know everything.
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

Speaking of taxes, anyone care to guess what local taxpayers are facing when Kelowna Council sits down to debate the tax increase(s) for 2021.
My guess? It will be a whopper!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

ckil wrote: the traffic here is a nightmare in relation to Vancouver.

Give me the choice of rush hour in Vancouver and rush hour in Kelowna and I will choose Kelowna any day.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

CoK jumping on the bandwagon to tax us more on the use of an outdated infrastructure they only deal with to encourage us to ride bicycles in winter time. My gosh can we recall these jokers please and get some people on council that know what they are talking about and are willing to adhere to the OCP?
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

When it comes to municipal elections, I think every property taxpayer’s vote should count as two, as opposed to those of who have no skin in the game. No wonder the later group is almost always the most vocal in support of city tsars and their silly and expensive vanity projects, when they don’t have to bear consequences of their wrong political choices.
lifegives
Board Meister

Post by lifegives »

response.jpg
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

lifegives wrote:
response.jpg

Property taxes were also a choice made one day. Guess we can choose not to pay those lol.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

lifegives wrote:img
You realize, property and income taxes are two biggest tax items in every household budget? The last time I asked my tenants, they don't pay the former. Of course, the taxman will take as much money as they need/want, one way or the other (hence the "mobility tax"). What I'm saying, not everyone contributes equally, but we all have the same voting power. Which, in my mind is wrong, because it removes from one segment of population monetary risk associated with it.
lifegives
Board Meister

Post by lifegives »

ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by ckil »

BC Landlord wrote:
lifegives wrote:img
You realize, property and income taxes are two biggest tax items in every household budget? The last time I asked my tenants, they don't pay the former. Of course, the taxman will take as much money as they need/want, one way or the other (hence the "mobility tax"). What I'm saying, not everyone contributes equally, but we all have the same voting power. Which, in my mind is wrong, because it removes from one segment of population monetary risk associated with it.
So your rental income does not cover operating costs?

Return to “Central Okanagan”