Got questions for Basran?

Re: Got questions for Basran?

Postby ckil » Nov 19th, 2020, 8:45 am

I have to laugh. The city spent 2 years studying light-rail transit to conclude it is not feasible. It must have cost a few hundred thousand when all they had to do is travel to a city with the same population to conclude that it would not work. City counsel sure loves to waste money.

Counsel is about 40 years ahead of themselves. Kelowna Virus - a dreadful local pandemic that make Kelownites think they are a major metropolitan area.

2 people like this post.
ckil
Übergod

Liked in: 629 posts

Postby Boosted632 » Nov 19th, 2020, 9:04 am

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Nov 19th, 2020, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Offtopic
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY

Scrobins94 likes this post.
Boosted632
Übergod

Liked in: 1308 posts

Postby Gilchy » Nov 19th, 2020, 9:12 am

ckil wrote:I have to laugh. The city spent 2 years studying light-rail transit to conclude it is not feasible. It must have cost a few hundred thousand when all they had to do is travel to a city with the same population to conclude that it would not work. City counsel sure loves to waste money.

Counsel is about 40 years ahead of themselves. Kelowna Virus - a dreadful local pandemic that make Kelownites think they are a major metropolitan area.

Kelowna would be ideal for transit corridors (whether they be LRT, dedicated bus lanes, etc). Due to the geography here, people either feed directly down Glenmore Rd, Hwy 33, or Lakeshore/Pandosy towards the highway, and then the highway from downtown to the airport is a straight shot. We should be moving towards mass transit.

2 people like this post.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1943 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 19th, 2020, 9:27 am

ckil wrote:I have to laugh. The city spent 2 years studying light-rail transit to conclude it is not feasible. It must have cost a few hundred thousand when all they had to do is travel to a city with the same population to conclude that it would not work. City counsel sure loves to waste money.

Do you have some sort of evidence to support those conclusions? "A few hundred thousand" should be easy to find in the expenditure report, I can't find anything of that nature.
City counsel sure loves to waste money

Although counsel appears to waste money, they are invaluable when the need arises. Since there has been no need to consult with counsel, because there are no accusations of any wrong-doing, there is no need for counsel to become involved.

However, since Kelowna is the fastest growing city in BC and the 5th fastest in Canada, "40 years ahead" is not an unreasonable time. They did say the same for the new bridge, and yet here we are again, just a few years later and that bridge is already too small.

City council is already 10 years behind of mass transit requirements.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7077 posts

Postby Even Steven » Nov 19th, 2020, 10:07 am

Gilchy wrote:Kelowna would be ideal for transit corridors (whether they be LRT, dedicated bus lanes, etc). Due to the geography here, people either feed directly down Glenmore Rd, Hwy 33, or Lakeshore/Pandosy towards the highway, and then the highway from downtown to the airport is a straight shot. We should be moving towards mass transit.

2 people like this post.
Even Steven
Guru

Liked in: 4354 posts

Postby mexi cali » Nov 19th, 2020, 10:25 am

and grey winter weather (at least the sun shines during winter in Calgary).

Uh huh. I'll take a lighter shade of gray over sunny and minus 35 any day. Lived it for more than 15 years. winter in Calgary is torture. Calgary's winters are like that kids song; "this is the song that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends".

Moving back to topic; I don't have an opinion of Mr. Basran one way or the other. The infrastructure that is Kelowna has been messed up for decades. From the very start, it was laid out as though by a group of drunkards sitting around a table aimlessly plunking down houses and industrial buildings.

The most effective solution when the footprint is unwelcoming? Tear it down and start again but you can't do that to a city as you could a structure.

There are many that look at Kelowna as the base for a large town and they prey upon the most attractive areas to do so. It doesn't take long once you're here to figure out where everybody wants to be and developers do that. Then they take what was the heart and soul and they change it into something that has no semblance of what it used to be.

Overcrowding is what results and our town, in some areas, has become unrecognizable.

We need the growth but not the way it's being handled. Basran is just one of a group. The only thing separating him from his fellow council members is that he can cast a tie breaking vote. The whole group is responsible for allowing an endless stream of variance permits to be considered which essentially throws out the OCP.

So, my question would be "why"? You are all overstepping your bounds and our city and its residents are paying the price.

There is no point in having rules if they can arbitrarily be ignored.

This city is a difficult blueprint to work with. Understand that and also understand that you can't keep adding more and more living space to areas whose infrastructure can't support it.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

3 people like this post.
mexi cali
Guru

Liked in: 6599 posts

Postby normaM » Nov 19th, 2020, 10:51 am

Doubtful they will allow any hard hitting Qs.. for $1.00 I'll answer questions , no pre screening either
"Who's your favorite development group Mr Mayor- and explain why"
I don’t care what they’re going to say. Let the storm rage on.

3 people like this post.
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 16941 posts

Postby the truth » Nov 19th, 2020, 10:54 am

normaM wrote:Doubtful they will allow any hard hitting Qs.. for $1.00 I'll answer questions , no pre screening either

any hard questions that have not been vetted , he will answer a question with a question like he always has.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

holdin likes this post.
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 10767 posts

Postby the truth » Nov 19th, 2020, 12:30 pm

it was not wasted money, safe bet the contract went to friends or favors
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

ckil likes this post.
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 10767 posts

Postby ckil » Nov 19th, 2020, 4:16 pm

Gilchy wrote:

Kelowna would be ideal for transit corridors (whether they be LRT, dedicated bus lanes, etc). Due to the geography here, people either feed directly down Glenmore Rd, Hwy 33, or Lakeshore/Pandosy towards the highway, and then the highway from downtown to the airport is a straight shot. We should be moving towards mass transit.

I agree with you. But, is not financially feasible without a population of at least 500,000 people.
ckil
Übergod

Postby ckil » Nov 19th, 2020, 4:24 pm

alanjh595 wrote:

Do you have some sort of evidence to support those conclusions? "A few hundred thousand" should be easy to find in the expenditure report, I can't find anything of that nature.
City counsel sure loves to waste money

Although counsel appears to waste money, they are invaluable when the need arises. Since there has been no need to consult with counsel, because there are no accusations of any wrong-doing, there is no need for counsel to become involved.

However, since Kelowna is the fastest growing city in BC and the 5th fastest in Canada, "40 years ahead" is not an unreasonable time. They did say the same for the new bridge, and yet here we are again, just a few years later and that bridge is already too small.

City council is already 10 years behind of mass transit requirements.

Let me see, 2 years with 2 employees alone will cost over $200,000. But I bet they hired "consultants" to rip them off. Clearly you have never travelled because one is hard pressed to find LTR in a city without a population of 500,000, at least. If you want your property taxes to quadruple, giver. But it will drive the population down.
ckil
Übergod

Postby casey60 » Nov 19th, 2020, 4:43 pm

The LRT is a good idea. So start planning now. By the time you have planned it and have taken care of all the issues that you may have to deal with, its at least 20 years form now.

stuphoto likes this post.
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 594 posts

Postby stuphoto » Nov 19th, 2020, 5:27 pm

normaM wrote:Doubtful they will allow any hard hitting Qs.. for $1.00 I'll answer questions , no pre screening either

Dear Norma N,

I am a rich developer looking at expanding into your city.
How many parking stalls do I need in a 300 unit apartment building?
In addition
If I decide to double the height part way through the construction would it be frowned upon?

holdin likes this post.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1618 posts

Postby phasyluck » Nov 19th, 2020, 6:34 pm

mexi cali wrote:
and grey winter weather (at least the sun shines during winter in Calgary).

Uh huh. I'll take a lighter shade of gray over sunny and minus 35 any day. Lived it for more than 15 years. winter in Calgary is torture. Calgary's winters are like that kids song; "this is the song that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends".

Moving back to topic; I don't have an opinion of Mr. Basran one way or the other. The infrastructure that is Kelowna has been messed up for decades. From the very start, it was laid out as though by a group of drunkards sitting around a table aimlessly plunking down houses and industrial buildings.

The most effective solution when the footprint is unwelcoming? Tear it down and start again but you can't do that to a city as you could a structure.

There are many that look at Kelowna as the base for a large town and they prey upon the most attractive areas to do so. It doesn't take long once you're here to figure out where everybody wants to be and developers do that. Then they take what was the heart and soul and they change it into something that has no semblance of what it used to be.

Overcrowding is what results and our town, in some areas, has become unrecognizable.

We need the growth but not the way it's being handled. Basran is just one of a group. The only thing separating him from his fellow council members is that he can cast a tie breaking vote. The whole group is responsible for allowing an endless stream of variance permits to be considered which essentially throws out the OCP.

So, my question would be "why"? You are all overstepping your bounds and our city and its residents are paying the price.

There is no point in having rules if they can arbitrarily be ignored.

This city is a difficult blueprint to work with. Understand that and also understand that you can't keep adding more and more living space to areas whose infrastructure can't support it.

Torture you say...sounds like you might be a little thin skinned? Don't get me wrong Calgary isn't paradise but neither is Kelowna.
Sure do love Rutland!!

2 people like this post.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 908 posts

Postby Symbonite » Nov 19th, 2020, 8:15 pm

They will really need light rail when they wonder a year later after moving Costco by Superstore on why there is so much traffic with no roadway upgrades. :/
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1174 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan