Council approves another one

Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Council approves another one

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

City council, as is their custom, approved another variance and apartment application.
This one at the southeast corner of KLO and Lakeshore Roads, once the home of a Texaco gas station.
The application for a seniors retirement residence was given a variance to construct a 9 story building over a 7 story build, permitted under the zoning.
The applicant had a novel reason for the variance request."It wouldn't be economically viable at 7 stories.Also a novel idea to get around parking requirements: car sharing.
Note, the height variance provides not for living spaces, but 2 floors of commercial.
Council members enthused at the project: Luke stack:" detailed and attractive and enhance the pedestrian experience"
Mohini Singh: it will give them a chance at living an active life style" Charlie Hodge "liked the green roof and that the building had rounded corners"
As a former gas station site, I wonder if remediation has been done on it and surrounding property, ie the former church property next door.
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Council approves another one

Post by kelownman »

The owner of this development, Park Retirement Living https://parcliving.ca/ is in various communities. Here are examples of this type of development and what to look forward to right here in Kelowna. :biggrin:

Oceana (white rock)
studio apt 412 sq ft $2850 a month
1 BR 610 sq ft $4460 a month
1Br + den 684 sq ft $5140 a month
2BR 924 sq ft $6740 a month
3BR + den 1181 sq ft $9850 a month

Summerhill (N Van)
1 BR 548 sq ft $5310 a month
2 BR 774 sq ft $6670 a month

Mulberry (Burnaby)
studio 385 sq ft $2879 a month
1 BR 525 sq ft $3650 a month
2 BR 718 sq ft $4725

I guess Parc chose Kelowna cuz their seniors can afford to live in such a place! :200: [icon_lol2.gif]
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Seeing all the Porsches and Jaguars driving around, and all the homes in the hills creeping closer to million dollar value, it might lead a developer to think there's a lot of money here...
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

The average worker in Kelowna can afford the 412 sq ft in Whiterock at $34200 per year.
$4460 x 12 = $53,520 so well above the average Kelowna paycheck.
I am of course not counting taxes or anything else.

The way it's looking, if I decide to retire in Kelowna, I may be stuck in a cardboard box.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

stuphoto wrote:The average worker in Kelowna can afford the 412 sq ft in Whiterock at $34200 per year.

The way it's looking, if I decide to retire in Kelowna, I may be stuck in a cardboard box.

there is always a free wet facility bed , lots here in kelowna
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Mrmarvingardens wrote: once the home of a Texaco gas station.

As a former gas station site, I wonder if remediation has been done on it and surrounding property, ie the former church property next door.

When it shut down it was an ESSO (could have been a Texaco before that) and no remediation has been done so far that I am aware of. I would assume if there is some still needed the developer would have to do that. If the building is going to have underground parking that would pretty much take care of the soil problem.

As far as the building itself goes I like the look of it and that corner certainly needs something. It has been empty far too long.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Of course remediation will be looked at...if not already done..
Nothing new here. . In fact I doubt someone would even invest in it without looking at that aspect..
Another thing... not all stations necessarily had leaking problems. .
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
holdin

Post by holdin »

yea a developer playing the "Seniors Card"--if you believe that I got a bridge for sale real cheap--bet there will only be a few senior spaces but it looks real good on paper and got approved--smart move by the developer.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

stuphoto wrote:The average worker in Kelowna can afford the 412 sq ft in Whiterock at $34200 per year.

It's a retirement home- they provide meals, entertainment, transportation, etc. And of course its for wealthy peeps, not just anybody.

Return to “Central Okanagan”