Are We a City of the Future? Or are we a Mess ?

featfan
Guru

Re: Are We a City of the Future? Or are we a Mess ?

Post by featfan »

6.JPG
5.JPG
4.JPG
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

8.JPG
7.JPG
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

What exactly did you expect them to save out of that a few bricks and a couple of 2x10s its garbage and is being treated as such
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

The last picture shows the permanent table? areas

I always though the patios could not have permanent structures.

And there goes a few more parking spots.
But hey it is a multi billionaire building it.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Boosted632 wrote:What exactly did you expect them to save out of that a few bricks and a couple of 2x10s its garbage and is being treated as such
Are you serious ??

The lumber alone would be worth it to a lot of people , never mind the bricks ..

But hey , it's just a "few" old bricks and a couple of 2x4's ..

What a waste ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

Boosted632 wrote:What exactly did you expect them to save out of that a few bricks and a couple of 2x10s its garbage and is being treated as such
Definitely garbage now.
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

It is not a demolition.
It is a Kelowna restoration project to an historic building!! :200:
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

MAPearce wrote:
Are you serious ??

The lumber alone would be worth it to a lot of people , never mind the bricks ..

What a waste ..
Cheaper to go buy new stuff than spend the time stripping it apart to sell a few 2x10s and old bricks nevermind the liability if they miss a nail and you cut your hand or if its covered in asbestos.
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Cheaper to go buy new stuff than spend the time stripping it apart to sell a few 2x10s and old bricks nevermind the liability if they miss a nail and you cut your hand or if its covered in asbestos
You'll never see that wood again unless you live until you're 200 years old , if that ..

Old , seasoned lumber goes for thick money because "they don't make it anymore "

If Tony Baloney gave a rats azz , he'd have stock piled it and made something out of it or sold it to someone who would have ..

What a waste .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

MAPearce wrote: Are you serious ??
What a waste ..
Tell them to come and get them.
Let's see how many are willing to put in the work to;
~Pick them up and cart them away.
~Clean them and make them ready for re-use.

What is the value of time compared to the value of return?

How many saw blades would be destroyed by cutting cement coated lumber verses the difference in cost of buying virgin lumber?

How much time and labour would be involved to sort out and extract usable materials?

Who is going to pay that cost?

*****Rent a lot, truck the materials to that lot, buy liability insurance to cover accidents.
~~~~~Let others enter and pick-up what they want and cart it away.
~~~~~Pick-up what is left over, AGAIN, and take it to the dump.

For WHAT in return?

MAYBE a couple hundred bucks?........And that is before adding in storage and handling cost for "who knows" how many years ...

I have a big pile of century old, clear, Douglas Fir in my garage right now, taken from an old army barracks in Esquimalt, what's it worth?

To the right person, maybe a couple 1,000 $$.
To me if the power goes out.........priceless.

Send it to the dump and be done with it, people won't remember any of this "must do" part of the rejuvenation project that will bring millions of $$$ into the this area.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Kelowna_Born
Fledgling

Post by Kelowna_Born »

I have friends looking at buying in Kelowna. Unbelievable the Junk for sale on Clement and North End.....Close to the water LOL you mean the Sutherland Goose-Poop/Toxic waste mill Park. Close to the St Paul Injection Site/Rail trail homeless camp.

I told them to look in Glenmore, or Black Mountain. The 10 speeds and shopping carts can't make it up the hills!!!
bigtimeoperations
Board Meister

Post by bigtimeoperations »

MAPearce wrote:
Cheaper to go buy new stuff than spend the time stripping it apart to sell a few 2x10s and old bricks nevermind the liability if they miss a nail and you cut your hand or if its covered in asbestos
You'll never see that wood again unless you live until you're 200 years old , if that ..

Old , seasoned lumber goes for thick money because "they don't make it anymore "

If Tony Baloney gave a rats azz , he'd have stock piled it and made something out of it or sold it to someone who would have ..

What a waste .
I agree, those are some awesome reusable timbers. Probably Douglas fir too. They don't care, just cart it to the dump and forget about it! :-X

This is supposed to be a heritage building, what on earth are they doing? What is going in there?
Don't Vancouver our Kelowna!
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

its gross how kelowna just destroys our heritage . there is not much left of downtown anymore. its like the city/real estate/developer crowd looks at heritage and history and sees old junk.one of these days they will be tearing down the old fire hall to make way for a shiny new 46 story tower too
deedub
Fledgling

Post by deedub »

The city doesn't care . No tenants , no taxes . Just a bunch of old buildings . Construction is hap hazard at best . 36 stories here , 46 over there . It's already a mess .
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Most of the wood does not have concrete on it, it's a brick building.
Those sections of floor up to 10 ft wide , could be loaded on trailer to take else where to take apart.
The packing house cold storage on Clement got a fair amount of money selling the wood. And timbers.
What happens to salvaged timber, well a lot of it gets cut down the middle and sells for more , for each half , than what those boards cost new for what you can get today .. not as high grade wood. .
They likely don't care , and don't try to save or recycle any of it.,
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Central Okanagan”