Three-tower Leon Avenue development back before city council

Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Three-tower Leon Avenue development back before city council

Post by Scrobins94 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... ty-council

---

Not super attractive but glad to see some retail and 3-bedroom units being proposed.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Three-tower Leon Avenue development back before city cou

Post by stuphoto »

Just what downtown kelowna needs.

I could almost bet that they will be reducing the parking by at least 30% and putting in another building before it's finished.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

they probably have a great view of the junkies looting their vehicles from that high up
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Re: Three-tower Leon Avenue development back before ncil

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

That is very tall.. :200: ... hope it does not pass..
Or like another high proposal... take more than a decade to ever get ground broken.. :smt045
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Why not show location in sketch.. like HWY 97, or Abbot..Street or Water street..
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Why not show location in sketch.. like HWY 97, or Abbot..Street or Water street..
Because that would give actual perspective rather than just glitz
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

Who here asks: "Why does Kelowna think its Hollywood"
Is it something in the air? A friend once suggested it is the high altitude.
Kelowna appears to have this obsession of trying to be "something"
The latest is the latest development proposal for three 24,28 and 42 foot towers that has excited our city council.
The proposal by the developer is real eye catcher.We are told the towers will be "close to Kelowna's hiking trails"
Mmmmm. Is there a hiking trail proposed for downtown?( Note that Hawaii limits buildings near the water to 25 storeys)
This proposal quickly follows the excited approval for a 9 storey building at the corner of KLO and Lakeshore roads.
Council members gushing: Mohini Singh: residents will be able to visit the beach; Charlie Hodge likes the roundness of the building, and the green roof.Hey council.this is a proposal for a retirement home..Ryan Donn enthused WOW more housing for seniors.Better submit your application now Ryan. The fees right now for this accommodation range from a CHEAP $2500 a month to $6000...By the time this is built, they could be even higher.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

From the article: City staff are supporting the development “due to its ability to deliver a significant amount of residential density to the downtown.”

High density, are they nuts? How is that good? After this pandemic, who in right mind would want to live in a giant apartment building like this?
bigtimeoperations
Board Meister

Post by bigtimeoperations »

42 stories. I'm going to say that again... 42 stories!!! This has officially become an arms race for developers. What next, a proposal for 50 stories?

Leon is already an established 'skid row', and a revitalization project like this will just push the problem somewhere else and kill another area. Best to keep the status quo here I think.
Don't Vancouver our Kelowna!
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

I am all for it as long as no variances for heights and parking are issued. So stay with the OCP. But this council will most likely just rubber stamp it, like so many before this application. Their rubber stamp must be wearing out by now.
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

Scrobins94 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... ty-council

---

Not super attractive but glad to see some retail and 3-bedroom units being proposed.
I like the sky-walk. Where is the big screen signage that was proposed? HELLO TIMES SQUARE! HELLO GINZA! HELLO PICADILLY CIRCUS!
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

I think it's a resale business that has a contract with the province, and they're limited on the amount of mark-up they can make to ensure there's no price gouging. They've been around for a while. Prior to them, there was issue regarding Ticketmaster intentionally holding tickets to speculate on last minute sales which Ticketmaster claimed was to prevent scalping. The laws were changed to allow people to release their tickets to a regulated Third Party and Ticketmaster had to give up its monopoly control over event sales which resulted in the creation of Event Kings and LiveNation entering the local market.
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Kelowna should have built up instead of building out years ago.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Brerrabbit18
Fledgling

Post by Brerrabbit18 »

stuphoto wrote:Just what downtown kelowna needs.

I could almost bet that they will be reducing the parking by at least 30% and putting in another building before it's finished.
Lol..yep.

It's the Developers handbook on how to develop anything in Kelowna.

1. Tell City council what they want to hear to get approval.
2. Slowly back-track on any promises made to the same city council while asking constantly for "small" variances because now the development is becoming, "financially unfeasible as designed".
3. Repeat, at nauseam, until the actually constructed buildings/parking shortage etc... look little like the "purposed" development.

Welcome to the new Vanlowna, where the actual residents take a back seat to any development "plans", (that's a joke in and of itself when talking about our OCP), while trying to enjoy our own waterfront has becomes increasingly impossible.
Seems we are intent on selling what once was a beautiful city to the highest bidder.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Was that a typo last post ? Did you mean Vanloona... perhaps ?

Return to “Central Okanagan”