4+% tax hike, glad I didn't vote for Basran

SteWe
Fledgling

Re: 4+% tax hike, glad I didn't vote for Basran

Post by SteWe »

Pretty alarming to see complaints about the tax increases without one single complaint about where a large portion of the budget for 2021's tax increase is going - INTO POLICING! Until the Kelowna RCMP can figure out how to police correctly, there should be no increase in policing at all. "The problem with tying (police) staffing to crime levels is that it essentially incentivizes poor performance" <- study conducted by the FBI.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I can't fault the RCMP in general,
They do a decent job of keeping the peace in smaller centers. Although the courts still release most criminals.
It just seems like Kelowna gets the bad apples.
Shoot, even just cross the bridge and you will see the police patrolling the hwy often with someone pulled over. Something you rarely see in Kelowna.
workingclasshero
Fledgling

Post by workingclasshero »

An example where we can defund police is police dogs, they mane innocent people often and are protected.
police dogs are used because the police don't want to get their hands dirty.
we need weekly reports to the public. we must be able to ask questions, like why are houses raided when there is no one at home. wow.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

Defund police dogs, are you serious? They dont recieve a wage they catch more than their share of filthy trash, they have the ability to sniff out that trash when they're hiding somewhere with your stolen crap, and the best part they maim that worthless crackhead piece of trash that stole your crap i say get more dogs. If you dont want to be maimed by a police dog dont be a worthless piece of trash.
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

Most Kelowna home owners made 40-80 thousand dollars this year in equity.

Their tax bill increased 85 dollars a year.

The worlds smallest violin, playing just for Kelowna home owners.

one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

It strikes me that Kelowna want's everything to appear wonderful regardless of the costs to taxpayers ?

I don't believe the reasoning as to why a new rec center is claimed to be needed ? Just because the building is aging shouldn't be an excuse to tear it down & spend a hundred million for another when the systems giving problems could be replaced & updated ?
Councillor Gail Given's comment is another off the wall idea to spend money on a make work project that would produce nothing but expensive trips to attend conference meetings ?

A real discussion about policing should be held before more money is allotted as residents are dissatisfied ?
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

workingclasshero wrote:An example where we can defund police is police dogs, ...
Oh please, ... All my life, I've never had run-in's with cops, other than being pulled over for speeding, let alone being attacked by a police dog. I do appreciate the work they are doing, and I don't believe they deserve to be "defunded". If anything, they need more support, due to local politicians actually attracting and fueling crime, by their virtue-signaling.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Vacancyrate wrote:Most Kelowna home owners made 40-80 thousand dollars this year in equity.
Could you please explain how could someone make any money on a property, without selling it?
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

Vacancyrate wrote:Most Kelowna home owners made 40-80 thousand dollars this year in equity.

Their tax bill increased 85 dollars a year.

The worlds smallest violin, playing just for Kelowna home owners.

Funny i have the same violin playing for those who missed the boat and constantly complain about home prices and rent
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

we would not need more Police Officers if the justice system would do it's job properly...change that..

repeat offenders are literally back on the streets within hrs doing the same stuff, can't imagine how frustrating that must be to the Officers who have to deal with them constantly..

there really was a time when if you broke the law you got some sort of real punishment..

anyways, we probably don't need the huge Swat teams that we have either..
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

Jonrox wrote: Like I said, there's a bit more to it than this but if you start thinking about your taxes according to what I laid out above, your property taxes will start to make a whole lot more sense to you.
Thanks, Jonrox. This interaction was the most productive I've had on this site so far. I appreciate all the effort you put into your posts on this subject.
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

W105 wrote:we would not need more Police Officers if the justice system would do it's job properly...change that..
IMO, the police could harass (but NOT abuse) petty criminals a little more often, make it uncomfortable for them. I'm referring to those who look sketchy (with 2 bycicles, dragging blue bins along, etc.), not the average citizen minding their own business.
repeat offenders are literally back on the streets within hrs doing the same stuff, can't imagine how frustrating that must be to the Officers who have to deal with them constantly..

there really was a time when if you broke the law you got some sort of real punishment..
So maybe skip building a new Rec Centre and put that money towards expanding the Remand Centre to hold these petty criminals just long enough to make them think they should straighten up (very unlikely) or move elsewhere (East Hastings VanCity).
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

Edmonton passes budget with 0% tax increase: ‘It wasn’t easy… We did our best’

https://globalnews.ca/news/7516592/edmo ... -increase/
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfound ... -1.5831301

No tax increases for residents as St. John's preps for flood of unpaid bills in 2021 budget
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

Where is the common sense at CoK city hall. We all have to do with less during these times. So now the city want to create another job at the cost of $195.000??? I suggest they wait till better times. The remarks Ms Given gives are not even worth talking about. Unfortunately she is on council. Its time for a clean sweep. Again, should be a rule 2 terms max.

Return to “Central Okanagan”