High school at capacity

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

High school at capacity

Post by the truth »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#318928 wow really. i never knew that international students took away spots from are own local kids, at the--- high school level--, that is wrong on all levels imo
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: High school at capacity

Post by Bsuds »

I thought those were usually exchange students so are in a spot that would have been taken by a local anyway.

We sponsored one of those many years ago from Holland. It was a great experience for all of us.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

We had at least 2 living next door , they were from Europe and in high school.
.They probably pay pretty good to attend and the school board can likely use the money..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
bornhere63
Fledgling

Post by bornhere63 »

Yes, they pay high fees, and room and board to host families.

But this high enrolment was predictable, and planning ahead very poor. KSS had portables by the time students moved in. The district needs better planning and management. How does KSS get a reno before RMS, scheduled for demo 10 years ago, is addressed? I guess Rutland qualifies for wet facilities near schools, and we ignore the schools. Double whammy for being in the wrong neighborhood.
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

exactly...sad but true
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

UBCO did the same thing in the nursing program when a person I know tried to enroll.

The councillor didn't want to enroll her & it only got resolved after her parents stepped in & showed the credits she had were above what was being asked for. She completed the 4 years & is a RN.

If a student is wanting to enter nursing they might want to check about going to Australia, the reason I say this is because in their system a person is done in 2 year's rather than 4 years in Canada ?
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

bornhere63 wrote: But this high enrolment was predictable, and planning ahead very poor. KSS had portables by the time students moved in. The district needs better planning and management. How does KSS get a reno before RMS, scheduled for demo 10 years ago, is addressed?
Funding priorities are set by the Ministry of Education, not by SD 23. Replacing RMS is the number one priority at the District level, but they can't force the Ministry to approve capital funding for it.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

the truth wrote: wow really. i never knew that international students took away spots from are own local kids, at the--- high school level--, that is wrong on all levels imo
You might be underthinking this. The article just states that the school is full. No mention of anyone "losing their spot" to an international student. It's an exciting to think about blaming someone for that, but it hasn't actually happened yet.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

The more that young people learn about the rest of the world and the more they can teach us about their culture, the better the future will be for us all. The other way is to build walls and we know how that doesn't work.
I birn quil I se
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

If a student is wanting to enter nursing they might want to check about going to Australia, the reason I say this is because in their system a person is done in 2 year's rather than 4 years in Canada ?
You might want to rethink that for a couple of reasons. First, how is half the education better? Second, getting a nursing degree in a foreign country is not always transferrable. I haven't looked into that but I would be surprised if there weren't some sort of "make up" required if one wanted to get the degree there and then come back here, especially given that it can be done in half the time.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Return to “Central Okanagan”