Kelowna threatening Protests

Re: Kelowna threatening Protests

Postby lifegives » Feb 15th, 2021, 6:17 pm

BC Landlord wrote:Seriously, are you saying that someone was presenting you with some documents(??), and presumably after some sort of an investigation, you have determined that they were fake? Are you an RCMP, CSIS? Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds?


I'm guessing you haven't seen the coverage of people who carry this type of document: (started popping up 8 months ago)
no_mask.jpg


BC Landlord wrote:If you were a reporter, and went to a protest to report on it, just to find out the protesters were not following rules, the exact ones they were protesting about, then you've better find another job. That's dumb reporting.


I'm going to surmise that you haven't read the original post this thread was started with, which describes how the reporter went to a protest but then was threatened by the protesters. That was what she as referring to.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Graphite likes this post.
lifegives
Board Meister
 
Posts: 561
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 202 posts
Joined: Nov 26th, 2020, 6:11 am

Re: Kelowna threatening Protests

Postby Graphite » Feb 15th, 2021, 6:41 pm

OKkayak wrote:
Graphite wrote:Nobody felt motivated to address my question about anti maskers and freedoms, but I did come across this article during my google searches for some of you. It discusses some psychology behind anti maskers
https://www.today.com/health/mask-protest-t186064

Meh, they're just toddlers trapped inside a grown-ups body. Stomping their feet because their mom told them "no" and be all pouty-pouty until they get their way. Always convincing themselves that they think they know better than Mom or Dad.

Yes. The article called it the parent child relationship, if you read it.
Graphite
Übergod
 
Posts: 1901
Likes: 544 posts
Liked in: 382 posts
Joined: Feb 10th, 2011, 8:28 pm

Re: Kelowna threatening Protests

Postby gardengirl » Feb 15th, 2021, 6:47 pm

MAPearce wrote:
That said, the majority of people I encounter are very polite. They maintain the 6ft rule and will step aside and wait to pass through areas which are too small to do so.


Are you equally polite and step aside for THEM to pass you ?


Absolutely. If there are two of us walking together, I step behind to allow for more distance. If it is a narrow area, I will wait and offer for the other people to go first. My mom taught me right.

It's a shame that is something which is lost on so many people now. (I would have got a cuff upside the head if we were walking two abreast and made someone step off the sidewalk to pass by.)
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 13323
Likes: 1292 posts
Liked in: 1241 posts
Joined: Mar 23rd, 2006, 2:01 pm
Location: Wrong side of the tracks.

Re: Kelowna threatening Protests

Postby BC Landlord » Feb 15th, 2021, 6:56 pm

Lore wrote:By any chance were you at the protest?

Then, you must have been one of the counter-protestors across the street ... [icon_lol2.gif] It's almost funny how some people think of differences of opinion as some sort of a ball or hockey game, like our team vs their team. But it's not funny at all. How difficult is it to understand that it is not about the message they were trying to convey, but their right to do so. Nowhere in this thread have I supported their views. However, it is appalling to me to what lengths are some prepared to go to justify, or even call for cracking down on some of most fundamental freedoms in our society.

lesliepaul likes this post.
BC Landlord
Übergod
 
Posts: 1071
Likes: 400 posts
Liked in: 962 posts
Joined: Jul 15th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Re: Kelowna threatening Protests

Postby MAPearce » Feb 15th, 2021, 7:13 pm

Absolutely. If there are two of us walking together, I step behind to allow for more distance. If it is a narrow area, I will wait and offer for the other people to go first. My mom taught me right.

It's a shame that is something which is lost on so many people now. (I would have got a cuff upside the head if we were walking two abreast and made someone step off the sidewalk to pass by.)


Good to know . By the tone of the post this was quoted from , it seemed to me that the "entitlement" went only one way ...

To bad I can't give a cuff upside to my kids if they didn't hold a door open for anyone anymore though eh ?
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
User avatar
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 13762
Likes: 3607 posts
Liked in: 6384 posts
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 6:15 pm

Re: Kelowna threatening Protests

Postby BC Landlord » Feb 15th, 2021, 7:45 pm

lifegives wrote:I'm guessing you haven't seen the coverage of people who carry this type of document: (started popping up 8 months ago)
no_mask.jpg



You realize, that is not a "document" by any measure. It's a pamphlet, for the purpose of making a political statement. One thing though, if someone was truly exempt from wearing a mask for a medical reason, by no means is such a person required to disclose (i.e. document) their medical condition to a police or bylaw officer. Only judge could ask for that. So, pamphlet or no pamphlet, it makes no difference. It was a part of the protest's signage in my mind.
Last edited by BC Landlord on Feb 15th, 2021, 8:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BC Landlord
Übergod
 
Posts: 1071
Likes: 400 posts
Liked in: 962 posts
Joined: Jul 15th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Re: Kelowna threatening Protests

Postby Lore » Feb 15th, 2021, 7:47 pm

BC Landlord wrote:
Lore wrote:By any chance were you at the protest?

Then, you must have been one of the counter-protestors across the street ... [icon_lol2.gif] It's almost funny how some people think of differences of opinion as some sort of a ball or hockey game, like our team vs their team. But it's not funny at all. How difficult is it to understand that it is not about the message they were trying to convey, but their right to do so. Nowhere in this thread have I supported their views. However, it is appalling to me to what lengths are some prepared to go to justify, or even call for cracking down on some of most fundamental freedoms in our society.

You still don't get it.
I really don't care what you do just stay away from
other people who are wearing a mask and who do not want you in their face.
Simple.
Still did not answer my question though, whatever.

gardengirl likes this post.
Lore
Übergod
 
Posts: 1410
Likes: 1888 posts
Liked in: 394 posts
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2006, 1:41 pm

Re: Kelowna threatening Protests

Postby ferri » Feb 15th, 2021, 7:58 pm

:-X Do.not.start.making.this.personal.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
User avatar
ferri
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 51868
Likes: 21833 posts
Liked in: 14194 posts
Joined: May 11th, 2005, 3:21 pm

Re: Kelowna threatening Protests

Postby BC Landlord » Feb 15th, 2021, 8:13 pm

Lore wrote:Still did not answer my question though, whatever.


You mean, if I were there? Nope! Even if I were, that still wouldn't make me "them". However, I do support their right to protest, as much as I would support you in voicing your grievances, whatever they might be, and whenever you decide to do so.
BC Landlord
Übergod
 
Posts: 1071
Likes: 400 posts
Liked in: 962 posts
Joined: Jul 15th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Re: Kelowna threatening Protests

Postby DoubleB12 » Feb 15th, 2021, 9:20 pm

I hope that everybody realizes that when you express an opinion one way or the other, your chances of convincing the opposite opinion to believe your side as "the be all end all" is simply a mute point. You can post all your sources from whatever media outlet or magazine article you want and nothing is going to change the others mind. Is there a "virus" out there?? Yes there is. The problem is there are so many different opinions of doctors and scientists from around the world that dispute each other which makes this whole issue a cluster#$%#$^. IMO the only real fact that I'm aware of is that according to the Govt of Canada and the Govt of BC numbers the chance of survival should you contract the "virus" is EXTREMELY HIGH, and the chance of death is EXTREMELY LOW. Just do what you feel you need to do to live your life and let others be. Another thing to remember is that your chance of catching/contracting the "virus" is also EXTREMELY LOW.

3 people like this post.
DoubleB12
Fledgling
 
Posts: 217
Likes: 136 posts
Liked in: 193 posts
Joined: Sep 22nd, 2016, 2:19 pm

Re: Kelowna threatening Protests

Postby gardengirl » Feb 15th, 2021, 9:41 pm

DoubleB12 wrote:I hope that everybody realizes that when you express an opinion one way or the other, your chances of convincing the opposite opinion to believe your side as "the be all end all" is simply a mute point. You can post all your sources from whatever media outlet or magazine article you want and nothing is going to change the others mind. Is there a "virus" out there?? Yes there is. The problem is there are so many different opinions of doctors and scientists from around the world that dispute each other which makes this whole issue a cluster#$%#$^. IMO the only real fact that I'm aware of is that according to the Govt of Canada and the Govt of BC numbers the chance of survival should you contract the "virus" is EXTREMELY HIGH, and the chance of death is EXTREMELY LOW. Just do what you feel you need to do to live your life and let others be. Another thing to remember is that your chance of catching/contracting the "virus" is also EXTREMELY LOW.


You are missing the point entirely. It is not about YOU.
Selfish selfish selfish inconsiderate people are the ones who are making this far worse for everyone.
(The word is moot, by the way)
Last edited by gardengirl on Feb 15th, 2021, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.

Lore likes this post.
User avatar
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 13323
Likes: 1292 posts
Liked in: 1241 posts
Joined: Mar 23rd, 2006, 2:01 pm
Location: Wrong side of the tracks.

Re: Kelowna threatening Protests

Postby BC Landlord » Feb 15th, 2021, 9:46 pm

DoubleB12 wrote:I hope that everybody realizes that when you express an opinion one way or the other, your chances of convincing the opposite opinion to believe your side as "the be all end all" is simply a mute point.


That's a very good point, DoubleB12. The chances of winning someone else to your own way of thinking are slim and very unlikely to happen. However, having a civilized debate (on just about anything) is a good mental exercise, especially in these challenging times. Providing people don't end up with hurt feelings, of course. :biggrin:
BC Landlord
Übergod
 
Posts: 1071
Likes: 400 posts
Liked in: 962 posts
Joined: Jul 15th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Re: Kelowna threatening Protests

Postby gardengirl » Feb 15th, 2021, 11:20 pm

MAPearce wrote:
Absolutely. If there are two of us walking together, I step behind to allow for more distance. If it is a narrow area, I will wait and offer for the other people to go first. My mom taught me right.

It's a shame that is something which is lost on so many people now. (I would have got a cuff upside the head if we were walking two abreast and made someone step off the sidewalk to pass by.)


Good to know . By the tone of the post this was quoted from , it seemed to me that the "entitlement" went only one way ...

To bad I can't give a cuff upside to my kids if they didn't hold a door open for anyone anymore though eh ?


Sadly, a lot of people could benefit from a well placed cuff upside the head these days.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
User avatar
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 13323
Likes: 1292 posts
Liked in: 1241 posts
Joined: Mar 23rd, 2006, 2:01 pm
Location: Wrong side of the tracks.

Re: Kelowna threatening Protests

Postby normaM » Feb 16th, 2021, 7:10 am

Gardengirl wrote

"Selfish selfish selfish inconsiderate people are the ones who are making this far worse for everyone."

Hmm, like all the kids in the schools? Care Aides having to work various places to make ends meet?
Selfish, self righteous, both grate on my nerves
You can try and dirty my name, but I'll wear your hate like war paint
User avatar
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 25805
Likes: 22804 posts
Liked in: 17557 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2007, 7:28 am

Re: Kelowna threatening Protests

Postby gardengirl » Feb 16th, 2021, 7:52 am

normaM wrote:Gardengirl wrote

"Selfish selfish selfish inconsiderate people are the ones who are making this far worse for everyone."

Hmm, like all the kids in the schools? Care Aides having to work various places to make ends meet?
Selfish, self righteous, both grate on my nerves


What does that have to do with the ant-mask protests?
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
User avatar
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 13323
Likes: 1292 posts
Liked in: 1241 posts
Joined: Mar 23rd, 2006, 2:01 pm
Location: Wrong side of the tracks.

Previous

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AtlantisKelowna, CommonCrawl [Bot] and 4 guests