Big White expansion.

featfan
Guru

Big White expansion.

Post by featfan »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... lan#320792

Well with Maurice handling the water use which will be around 125 million gallons a year it will work out.

This man is a Rockstar on water.

Maurice Valcourt is the Vice President of Utilities at Big White Ski Resort. Thirty-five years ago, he started working as a millwright mechanic on the lift system at the resort. After studying water treatment at school, he was hired to manage the water on the hill.

Big White's Water is Some of the Best in the World!

https://www.bigwhite.com/explore-big-wh ... best-world

If he ever asks if you want to go for a truck ride on some of the trails and roads around the mountain, belt up real tight.
seewood
Guru

Re: Big White expansion.

Post by seewood »

featfan wrote:ell with Maurice handling the water use which will be around 125 million gallons a year it will work out.
Funny you mention water. I was reading the Castanet article and I usually go to the " what about infrastructure" question, water included.
Wonder if there are plans for snow making as well.
Over 50 years and if skier demographics are such the visits continue to climb, That is going to be one mega resort...

Is skiing on the decline?

According to the National Ski Areas Association the number of active ski and snowboard participants in the US has been falling since its peak of 10.1 million in 2010.11 to just 8.4 million in 2015.16. The skier visit statistics paint a similar picture – declining by over 7.7 million between 2010 and 2016.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
OhMyDarlin
Fledgling

Post by OhMyDarlin »

The infrastructure at the resort is one thing. The roads leading to the resort are another. Can Highway 33 handle all this extra traffic in the future without widening?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

And that hill!

Skiing on the decline makes complete sense as populations age and younger families can barely get by without skiing added.

If Big White expands, all the best to them.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

They are already decimating the Kettle River System. This is from 2008 and they know they will need to make snow eventually. If this expansion goes through kiss the kettle river system goodbye

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/4 ... d-more-H2o
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

OhMyDarlin wrote:The infrastructure at the resort is one thing. The roads leading to the resort are another. Can Highway 33 handle all this extra traffic in the future without widening?
The hardworking taxpayers will pay for the expansion.
The average commuter heading past the hill will deal with the increased traffic.
And all with a smile, knowing some Australian company is getting richer off our backs.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Looking forward to the bike park expanding!
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I would love to see a multi use trail built up 33 and if BW wanted to expand it up to their resort let them.
As a rider, I feel it's too dangerous to ride over the pass.
As a driver I hate being stuck behind a cyclist going up the hill if it isn't safe to pass.
Palliser
Fledgling

Post by Palliser »

Big White looks like a condo building machine went crazy and barfed up a thousand different styles of condos on the hillside.
Pkunko
Fledgling

Post by Pkunko »

Would sure love to see Big White include some discussion around sustainability in their long term plan, particularly considering this industry has the most lose under pretty much every climate change scenario.

Return to “Central Okanagan”