3 Tower Project on Leon Ave Approved

Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 816
Joined: Jan 15th, 2017, 4:42 am

3 Tower Project on Leon Ave Approved

Post by Scrobins94 »

Image

Looks better than what's there currently. Goodbye sunshine though. Note that these towers would be on the south side of downtown. So it would cast massive shadows on Lawrence, Bernard, etc... The view from the dock towards the sails will change for sure. I understand the urgency of wanting to revitalize that area but I think council should've resisted approving this. If Kelowna indeed is growing then there's no rush to develop such premium land into something that's less than very ideal for the city.

I hope it's not cheaply built like many places in Vancouver are.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... evelopment
User avatar
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 731
Joined: Sep 19th, 2006, 8:46 am

Re: 3 Tower Project on Leon Ave Approved

Post by casey60 »

I like the area to be developed. No question about that. But stick to the OCP. Nope they give the developer whatever he wanted. Another blatant example of bending over backwards to developers.
Even Steven
Guru
Posts: 5760
Joined: Mar 24th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: 3 Tower Project on Leon Ave Approved

Post by Even Steven »

Looks cool. Where does the skywalk supposed to go? Another building across the street?
jumpshot
Posts: 22
Joined: Nov 17th, 2007, 11:14 pm

Re: 3 Tower Project on Leon Ave Approved

Post by jumpshot »

If a 'poor plan is better than a bad situation' rules the decision making in Kelowna, no wonder our beautiful city continues to go the way of the developer. We do not need these huge towers and dense population so close the lake, so if you don't like the plan, don't hold your nose and vote in favour, but seek a good plan to fix a horrible mess! Remember these decisions during the next civic election.
User avatar
cv23
Guru
Posts: 8040
Joined: Jul 4th, 2005, 2:59 pm

Re: 3 Tower Project on Leon Ave Approved

Post by cv23 »

casey60 wrote:I like the area to be developed. No question about that. But stick to the OCP. Nope they give the developer whatever he wanted. Another blatant example of bending over backwards to developers.
The City is again asking for public/resident input on the OCP and yet again the City ignores the very document they want our public/resident input on. Why even have an OCP if the City just ignores it basically every chance they get? Total waste of taxpayers money.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... t-20-years
Even Steven
Guru
Posts: 5760
Joined: Mar 24th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: 3 Tower Project on Leon Ave Approved

Post by Even Steven »

jumpshot wrote:We do not need these huge towers and dense population so close the lake
LOL.

Yes, let's put them up on the hills.
dodgerdodge
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2901
Joined: Jun 9th, 2010, 7:35 am

Re: 3 Tower Project on Leon Ave Approved

Post by dodgerdodge »

So IF this goes ahead and looking at the forever delayed other downtown project i have my doubts, where are all the Leon street people going to hang then? They already seem to be taking over parts of Bernard and the park by the sails. Or is this a plan to run them out of town?
Mark1111
Board Meister
Posts: 559
Joined: May 3rd, 2008, 10:22 am

Re: 3 Tower Project on Leon Ave Approved

Post by Mark1111 »

Scrobins94 wrote:Image

Looks better than what's there currently. Goodbye sunshine though. Note that these towers would be on the south side of downtown. So it would cast massive shadows on Lawrence, Bernard, etc... The view from the dock towards the sails will change for sure. I understand the urgency of wanting to revitalize that area but I think council should've resisted approving this. If Kelowna indeed is growing then there's no rush to develop such premium land into something that's less than very ideal for the city.

I hope it's not cheaply built like many places in Vancouver are.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... evelopment
Except that its not that premium anymore. Everybody with an option on their lease left running. No one knows how to deal with that area. And its been an obvious nightmare for the last 10 years. Almost no offers to develop it. The city had no choice. Leon is a cess pool. I don't care if they build another Dubia level highrise there. Anything, ANYTHING is better than the garbage currently occupying that space.
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister
Posts: 487
Joined: Jan 28th, 2009, 6:50 pm

Re: 3 Tower Project on Leon Ave Approved

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

Interesting...but expected...
Even Hawaii limits its high rises to 25 storeys on buildings close to the water.
cuba108
Fledgling
Posts: 196
Joined: Oct 4th, 2013, 7:55 am

Re: 3 Tower Project on Leon Ave Approved

Post by cuba108 »

I have no problem with this development, as it will have little effect on me, however I do question their ability to get it built as they will probably need enormous pre sales to obtain financing.Can’t help but feel sorry for those on the south and west side of the Ella tower though.
If no one has died on the table, you have not done enough surgeries.
Jonrox
Guru
Posts: 7152
Joined: Apr 14th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Re: 3 Tower Project on Leon Ave Approved

Post by Jonrox »

I’m not a huge fan of this project but I understand why it was approved by council. In the end it won’t even matter though because the scope of it is far too big to actually see the light of day.
User avatar
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep
Posts: 30899
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Re: 3 Tower Project on Leon Ave Approved

Post by GordonH »

Jonrox wrote: I’m not a huge fan of this project but I understand why it was approved by council. In the end it won’t even matter though because the scope of it is far too big to actually see the light of day.
How is the building of the hotel were the Willow Inn once was... Oh right [icon_lol2.gif]
"You've Gotta' Ask Yourself A Question. 'Do I Feel Lucky?' Well Do Ya...PUNK?" Harry Callahan
I don't care whether people like me or dislike me. I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
User avatar
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru
Posts: 5078
Joined: Sep 24th, 2006, 11:43 am

Re: 3 Tower Project on Leon Ave Approved

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Nobody can build slower than that inchworm... :smt045
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
User avatar
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10430
Joined: Mar 8th, 2008, 6:00 pm

Re: 3 Tower Project on Leon Ave Approved

Post by dirtybiker »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Nobody can build slower than that inchworm... :smt045
And I for one am alright with that.

I can see this latest zoning approval turn into another put off project that
shows the worlds developers just what a push-over our present council
actually is.

Thanks to Charlie though for being the man of the people still.
Knows his roots.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 11576
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 11:58 am

Re: 3 Tower Project on Leon Ave Approved

Post by LANDM »

dodgerdodge wrote:So IF this goes ahead and looking at the forever delayed other downtown project i have my doubts, where are all the Leon street people going to hang then? They already seem to be taking over parts of Bernard and the park by the sails. Or is this a plan to run them out of town?
Rutland?
You and 71 others Like this post

Return to “Central Okanagan”