3 Tower Project on Leon Ave Approved

Jonrox

Re: 3 Tower Project on Leon Ave Approved

Post by Jonrox »

Like I said earlier... this plan is far too big to work here. It's a plan better suited for the waterfront in Vancouver. I think the developer has vastly overestimated the demand for ultra-high end waterfront condos in Kelowna.

One Water Street and the other downtown projects already took care of a lot of the demand for downtown condos... this Leon project seems like it's a few years late to the party. I don't think there's a ton of pent up demand for this many more units and especially not at the prices they're going to need.

I just don't see it getting off the ground.
sublime
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by sublime »

Just remember the higher you build directly to the lake the higher the building behind it has to be built to obtain a view of the lake...that is if you can still see it. This is the exact reason why there should be height restrictions within a certain radius of the lake. Want 40 stories? Try Gordon ave.

Not sure what it going to take for people to realize the majority of the council and real estate agent aka mayor are always in the pockets of the developers. Thankfully there were a couple people on the council that stood up to this nonsense.
Last edited by sublime on Jan 14th, 2021, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
The ignore list is a fine function... Reading or responding to fear mafia posts is a waste of time.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

It's not that the developers are in the pockets of council. It's that nobody has come to council with a better idea for this stretch of properties, so they begrudgingly approved this one knowing it probably won't ever happen any way.

It's just kicking the can down the road. For now, they can show they're trying and it buys them time until something more realistic comes along.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

LANDM wrote:
dodgerdodge wrote:So IF this goes ahead and looking at the forever delayed other downtown project i have my doubts, where are all the Leon street people going to hang then? They already seem to be taking over parts of Bernard and the park by the sails. Or is this a plan to run them out of town?
Rutland?
How times have changed.
I used to bypass Rutland on my way to Kelowna whenever possible.
I had an appointment in Kelowna the other day and bypassed Kelowna as much as possible by staying in Rutland.
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

People are going to move to Kelowna, for the same reason they have always moved here. So unless we keep shaving mountains and putting up tons and tons of houses, the only alternative is to build up. As long as it is done in the core I think its a good idea. Hopefully this will attract businesses to relocate as well.
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by ckil »

Kelowna is such big city wanna be it is funny.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Kelowna has pretty much grown out as much as it can, so may as well grow upwards.
Big question is can the current infrastructure support it.
Progress can be a problem for those who don’t like change.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... wna#321924

And the insanity continues.
Because developers know present Council completely ignores the OCP and will give them ANYTHING they ask for they no longer do the dance of initially asking for small variances and working their way up to larger variances they now start with seeking a variance of almost 4 times the present OCP and zoning . Makes a person wonder just how tall some of these recently approved monstrosities will actually be when their developers complete the dozen or so typical variance requests after initial approval given.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... t-20-years
Why is Council asking our input on an OCP when they completely ignore it every chance they get?
workingclasshero
Fledgling

Post by workingclasshero »

they say that the condos are being designed to accommodate groups of people living together like college students.
I think they are being designed to accommodate ethnic groups that are used to living in groups, like those in Hong Kong condos.
condos in Hong Kong sell for millions of dollars, a condo here will be very affordable for them, they want to continue living as they do in the far East.
I hope this post will not be taken down as I do wish that it will give a place for the people of Hong Kong to come to when
they have to leave.
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by ckil »

AlienSoldier wrote:People are going to move to Kelowna, for the same reason they have always moved here. So unless we keep shaving mountains and putting up tons and tons of houses, the only alternative is to build up. As long as it is done in the core I think its a good idea. Hopefully this will attract businesses to relocate as well.
Agriculture land will disappear. It occurs all over the world with population growth.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

just_browsing wrote:
cv23 wrote:
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... t-20-years
Why is Council asking our input on an OCP when they completely ignore it every chance they get?
My thoughts exactly!!! It's a bunch of scripted BS that used to work to make the residents feel engaged.
Well, they got me exactly where they want me. I give up ! I gave up several years ago.
It could all fall down around their ears for all I care anymore.

I tried, I really did. I spent so much of my time being involved, attending luncheon meetings,
Council Chambers and a myriad of office meetings to have my voice heard.

As a recreational history buff, Canadian and Local, I thought I added value as to the lands
bogs, swamps, infills and water course diversions that have taken place over the past
Century and beyond.
Just why certain things should not be put in certain places. Might as well just farted in
the wind and went about my own life.

It was a futile attempt that wore on me. I had to give up for my own self.

When highly groomed professional presenters and public speakers spin
their benefactors yarns to the starry eyed there is little hope for the
common man of being heard.

You may read this thinking I'm a bit bitter. Maybe a bit. [icon_lol2.gif]

:cuss: 'em.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

ckil wrote:Kelowna is such big city wanna be it is funny.
I'm imagining Basran dressed as Posh Spice for the next Sugarplum Ball. [icon_lol2.gif]
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

Kelowna is already the 4th tallest city in Western Canada.
1. Edmonton 66 stories
2. Vancouver 63 stories
3. Calgary 56 stories
4. Kelowna 36 stories
5. Winnipeg 30 stories
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

And it's bad because...?

Return to “Central Okanagan”