3 Tower Project on Leon Ave Approved

Re: 3 Tower Project on Leon Ave Approved

Postby CrystalCity » Jan 18th, 2021, 7:32 pm

At least we got something straightened out! [icon_lol2.gif]

I think the Aquilini tower has now become amalgamated with the Westcorp development.

The Bertram tower will have to content with Brooklyn also, however unlike "2020" it and the office portion aren't as high, so won't block as many views. That said, I did notice some flags on their website as to who the target buyers may be. Then again not everyone is looking for anything more than a roof over their head. For someone making enough and working shift work, an internal unit could have merit.

My understanding of the 3 tower Leon project is that there are going to be rental units also in one of towers as well a supporting donations to the Gospel Mission.
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
CrystalCity
Fledgling

Liked in: 37 posts

Postby cv23 » Jan 18th, 2021, 9:53 pm

I think the Aquilini tower has now become amalgamated with the Westcorp development.
The Bertram tower will have to content with Brooklyn also, however unlike "2020" it and the office portion aren't as high, so won't block as many views. That said, I did notice some flags on their website as to who the target buyers may be. Then again not everyone is looking for anything more than a roof over their head. For someone making enough and working shift work, an internal unit could have merit.
My understanding of the 3 tower Leon project is that there are going to be rental units also in one of towers as well a supporting donations to the Gospel Mission.

Actually it appears the Aqualini project is still very much alive, independent of Milroy and in it's originally proposed location.
http://avenuehomes.ca/portfolio/24-kelowna/

As for the 2020 tower the news article stated there was to be another 16 story tower abutting 2020 and Brooklyn so when you add in 20 stories by BC Housing and UBCO's development that is going to be a very busy area. The communal living suites proposed for 2020 are likely directed at students from the UBCO campus but not able to secure any oncampus housing.

I haven't read the entire Leon proposal yet. Are the Gospel Mission donations mentioned there?
cv23
Guru

Liked in: 2522 posts

Postby CrystalCity » Jan 18th, 2021, 11:21 pm

Here'swhere Castanet orginally mentioned the Times Square signs: https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/274376/Massive-three-tower-development-proposed-for-Leon-Avenue

Other sites mention the donation.

So are they tearing down the Service Canada building for the Aqualini one?
CrystalCity
Fledgling

Postby LANDM » Jan 19th, 2021, 6:49 am

cv23 wrote:
There are similar developments in Coal Harbour surrounding the housing cooperative. The BC Housing proposal up on Bertram doesn't seem to be stopping the 46 storey "2020" tower from applying for development permits.

No idea what the BC Housing on Bertram has to do with this conversation but Kelowna is only missing a couple million people to compare it to Vancouver .

The difference in population is a little over 500k people.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 6703 posts

Postby ckil » Jan 19th, 2021, 10:38 am

The towers are hilarious. Kelowna wants to be a big city so bad.
ckil
Übergod

Liked in: 629 posts

Postby cv23 » Jan 19th, 2021, 10:57 am

Other sites mention the donation.

So are they tearing down the Service Canada building for the Aqualini one?

I have done a few searches and can't find anything about any donation to be made from the developer to the Gospel Mission. Can you provide any links to the info you found ?

I have no idea exactly how much of the 400 block of Bernard will be actually used by Aqualini but from the renderings it looks like just 440 and 450 with 478 the Scotia Bank building (which houses the government offices) remaining.
cv23
Guru

Postby CrystalCity » Jan 19th, 2021, 12:32 pm

CV I sent you the link as a message.
CrystalCity
Fledgling

Postby cv23 » Jan 19th, 2021, 1:48 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 19th, 2021, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Private message for answer to your question.

CrystalCity likes this post.
cv23
Guru

Postby CrystalCity » Jan 19th, 2021, 2:05 pm

I think I searched for "Three towers Kelowna donation". Now, that reads like the title of a fantasy novel!
:biggrin:
CrystalCity
Fledgling

Postby cv23 » Jan 19th, 2021, 6:41 pm

So let's try this again without mentioning the source.
Unmentionablesource wrote:"According to Beyrouti, if the project is approved and completed, the developers intend to donate $100,000 annually for 10 years towards Kelowna's initiatives to help the homeless."

I hope the Gospel Mission isn't counting on seeing any money from this "intent" on the developers part as any money will be going to the CoK based on approval by Council(isn't that what a bribe looks like) plus only IF and WHEN the project is ever COMPLETED. Does "completed" mean all three towers built and should only two get built he pays nothing and the offer just becomes so much lip service used in order to get approval? What will $100k actually be worth in twenty years or more if that's how long it takes to fully complete the project?
Clearly any financial benefit the community's homeless initiatives might receive has no actual on paper commitment and so many conditions placed on it that it is most likely never going to actually happen.

dirtybiker likes this post.
cv23
Guru

Postby lesliepaul » Jan 19th, 2021, 7:19 pm

Rest assured our low IQ'd city council will be working OVERTIME (not really) to ensure NOT ONE DIME of this $100,000 promise EVER leaves the developers pockets!
lesliepaul
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2211 posts

Postby CrystalCity » Jan 19th, 2021, 8:52 pm

The offer will be as valid as an uncited source, I suppose. There always seems to be a way around things in Kelowna nowadays. Is it okay if I'm naïve in hoping that the projected 2900 low income households get some spots in the towers?
CrystalCity
Fledgling

Postby Mrmarvingardens » Jan 19th, 2021, 8:59 pm

The promise of money (and kind) by this developer reminds me of a promise of low rents and other goodies for visitors to IH, by the owners of the plot of land across from the hospital.(It was a condo proposal).
That was 2013, the project was never built.the last proposal was for an hotel.
It's now 2021, the land still sits empty.

2 people like this post.
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby Mrmarvingardens » Jan 19th, 2021, 9:00 pm

The promise of money (and kind) by this developer reminds me of a promise of low rents and other goodies for visitors to IH, by the owners of the plot of land across from the hospital.(It was a condo proposal).
That was 2013, the project was never built.the last proposal was for an hotel.
It's now 2021, the land still sits empty.
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby Scrobins94 » Jan 19th, 2021, 10:04 pm

According to the developer it's not a pipe dream. They have contractors, etc lined up and ready to go.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 598 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan