3 Tower Project on Leon Ave Approved

Re: 3 Tower Project on Leon Ave Approved

Postby CrystalCity » Jan 19th, 2021, 10:56 pm

I've also notice lots of "Sponsored" ads on Instagram. I was driving down around the site tonight and it looks like something is being prepped. A portion of one of the towers is going to be rental units so I guess we will find out if a crane rises up.
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
CrystalCity
Fledgling

Liked in: 37 posts

Postby Even Steven » Jan 19th, 2021, 11:32 pm

CrystalCity wrote: I was driving down around the site tonight and it looks like something is being prepped.

I wonder whats the cheapest unit price level will be. My guess is on $390K
Even Steven
Guru

Liked in: 4354 posts

Postby marshp0 » Jan 20th, 2021, 6:59 am

It's interesting how the council went quiet talking about the massive electronic billboard that the developer said he will be putting on the front of the building on this side of the bridge with advertising for his "vegastickets" website. As I recall the developer said he would only do it if he could install the billboard...
marshp0

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby cv23 » Jan 20th, 2021, 11:38 am

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... wna#322370

The CoK could possibly find themselves in some deep doodoo if they follow staff's concerns on this one.
Since they have already allowed/permitted/approved a dozen vastly overheight towers downtown how can they deny another? They set a precedent when they allowed the the very first tower to grossly exceed the current legally adopted OCP, bylaws and zoning for downtown and now the floodgates are wide open.
Do any of the legal beagles out there know if turned down by Council, however unlikely that may be, the developer seeking this current variance can sue the CoK over being turned down because a precedent has already been set? The CoK has in the past even gone as far as to give excessive height variances in the downtown based on "the project not being profitable without the extra height" so why would it be only some developers get to make a profit and others not?
Please remember this is all hypothetical as Council will undoubtedly approve this variance just like they have ALL the others and this publicized concern by staff is likely nothing more than a dog and pony show for the publics benefit.

2 people like this post.
cv23
Guru

Liked in: 2522 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 20th, 2021, 12:05 pm

Dog and pony show..Hahaha !

Why does it feel that we are the ones following behind with the wheelbarrow and shovels
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

cv23 likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 6186 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 20th, 2021, 12:27 pm

We all know this scenario all too well.

Zoned for 5, ask for 15, get 10 (example)

No matter the actual number arrived at. It will still have the desired effect
of getting way more than one initially was allowed.

What a waste of bureaucratic process and taxation money when OCP's and zoning
mean nothing at all.
Just a scratch of the pen and a wave of hand. Poof !

I guess it was just me that took into account the zoning of any
property to make sure my uses fell within the mandate.

Not go ahead with securing the property and then go ahead to make
others bend to suit my model.

What a system that we've allowed to fester and grow, seemingly un-checked.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

2 people like this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 6186 posts

Postby Mrmarvingardens » Jan 20th, 2021, 1:34 pm

The comments from city hall grow brow more bizarre by the minute.
The latest mental flatulence comes from planner Ryan Smith.
" The Leon development of 43 stories is ok because everyone wanted this area to be cleaned up. But, 46 stories seems a bit beyond what we should be doing."
I have a question: since when do the number of stories have anything to do with anything? Leon avenue could be cleaned up with 10, 15 or 20 stories. (Hawaii permits only 25 stories near its foreshore)
Also the latest ruse used by developers is also a con job.
It goes something like this: We have to build up to make it financially viable"
It was used as an excuse to give us the mess at Central Green; the development off Lakeshore that was approved after the mayor had a private meeting with the developer, and now being used by the 43 and 46 proposals.
A big game but it seems to work.

3 people like this post.
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby CrystalCity » Jan 20th, 2021, 2:46 pm

marshp0 wrote:It's interesting how the council went quiet talking about the massive electronic billboard that the developer said he will be putting on the front of the building on this side of the bridge with advertising for his "vegastickets" website. As I recall the developer said he would only do it if he could install the billboard...

No, no, no...it's not just Vegas, it's GINZA 銀座, Piccadilly Circus, and Times Square Broadway :popcorn:

I'm surprised that I didn't see it include room for a UFC venue. :147: :clapping:
CrystalCity
Fledgling

Postby Even Steven » Jan 21st, 2021, 12:13 am

Mrmarvingardens wrote:It goes something like this: We have to build up to make it financially viable"

Why, you thought developers build things as a hobby?

Ps: what's wrong with Central Green? I don't remember them asking to go up, or asking for any variances around the height? Can you provide a link to a story?
Even Steven
Guru

Postby CrystalCity » Jan 21st, 2021, 1:54 am

Actually when the Central Green project originally was proposed to city council it was supposed to have a few towers around 20 stories in height. Council was shocked and disappointed when the developer came back stating they were reducing the size of the project. The rationale: it would cost too much.

2 people like this post.
CrystalCity
Fledgling

Postby ckil » Jan 22nd, 2021, 6:54 am

2 of the 3 condos we put an offer on ended up having some form of water damage and/or plumbing issues which would result in very high special assessments. The one had a special assessment of $24k with more to come. It is crazy how many developers cut corners and favour the cheapest building materials possible.

lesliepaul likes this post.
ckil
Übergod

Liked in: 629 posts

Postby CrystalCity » Jan 22nd, 2021, 10:40 am

ckil wrote:2 of the 3 condos we put an offer on ended up having some form of water damage and/or plumbing issues which would result in very high special assessments. The one had a special assessment of $24k with more to come. It is crazy how many developers cut corners and favour the cheapest building materials possible.

Developers in the Okanagan didn't learn from the leaky condo fiasco of Vancouver in the '90s.

2 people like this post.
CrystalCity
Fledgling

Postby cv23 » Jan 22nd, 2021, 11:16 am

Developers in the Okanagan didn't learn from the leaky condo fiasco of Vancouver in the '90s.

Vancouver (Lowermainland) based developers are the very ones who have been doing the lions share of the building/developing in Kelowna then and especially today. Not only have they brought their trades and suppliers with them, taking jobs away from locals, but they have also brought their building techniques and levels craftsmanship because they have taken all the money they can from their own community and because their often shoddy building practices are no longer permitted there.
The developer of this project from the Lowermainland based.

2 people like this post.
cv23
Guru

Liked in: 2522 posts

Postby Mrmarvingardens » Jan 22nd, 2021, 1:09 pm

Whats wrong with Central Green?
The answer has been supplied by Crystal who noted the original plan was towers and LEED development.
What we have now was pushed by the present city manager, who at the time had ties to the R.E. industry.
With no pushback from council, Stober and Mission Group created the excuse that low rises couldn't be built because of the water table.
Someone mentioned leaky condos in Vancouver.
This has nothing to do with the water table.
They resulted in the construction industry lobby that convinced elected officials a water envelope and overhangs at the roof area were not needed. With the heavy rains the lower mainland experiences, the shells of buildings were drowning in water, ultimately resulting in thousands of exteriors ( and interiors) needing repair.
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby Even Steven » Jan 22nd, 2021, 1:48 pm

Mrmarvingardens wrote:Whats wrong with Central Green?
The answer has been supplied by Crystal who noted the original plan was towers and LEED development.

You said Central Green is a mess right now, so I was asking what current mess you're talking about.

Crystal mentioned that the original plan was much taller buildings, but the developer decided against it, and you seem to be disappointed. So, when the developers go higher you don't like it, when they go lower you don't like it either?
Even Steven
Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan