46 stories? Where is our spineless fire chief?

Re: 46 stories? Where is our spineless fire chief?

Postby johnmartin » Jan 27th, 2021, 4:49 pm

Standard High Rise Fire Response in brief:

The standard response of fire apparatus and personnel to a large structure (High Rise – more than 22.86m (75 ft ) ~7 floors from ground level for fire department vehicle access) for a confirmed fire response.

The recommendation of NFPA 1710 is 42 firefighters.

Response time guidelines for NFPA 1710 are as follows:
First Company- 320 seconds turnout and travel time
Second Company-min 4 personnel-440 seconds turnout and travel
High Rise- total of 42 personnel- 690 seconds turnout and travel

These requirements are there for public and firefighter safety due to the density of population within a high rise structure.
NFPA 1710 has a number of sections but the two that you should be concerned with is the number of firefighters required for a confirmed fire response but also the timeline they require those personnel to be on scene. This is key because the fire will be fought as an interior attack and will be far more dangerous for firefighters and the public. Kelowna has approximately 22-24 firefighters on shift at one time. They have a call back system for others that are off duty and for paid on call volunteers. The problem is that the call backs and volunteers take longer than 690 seconds to get on scene from the initial alarm call. A huge pivotal problem for safety. Another question is are you going to drain the whole city of firefighters for one event? The Mayor and council are playing with fire!!
I don't like to contradict fellow brothers and sisters in the fire service but Firefighter Johnson has obviously not been in a fire or interior attack situation. I am never comfortable in any fire. They are dangerous and unpredictable. I have lost fellow brothers to this type of fire in Toronto and I would hate to see Kelowna having the same experience.

Retired Captain Toronto Fire Service

2 people like this post.
johnmartin

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby CrystalCity » Jan 27th, 2021, 5:39 pm

The Closest Fire Dept is at 1616 Water Street (temporary closed), a 4 min drive to 1468 Bertram, of course there will be added time in suiting up etc. The next closest is on Enterprise, which is an 8 min drive.
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
CrystalCity
Fledgling

Liked in: 37 posts

Postby seewood » Jan 27th, 2021, 7:24 pm

As insurance companies seem to drive fire standards, perhaps when an adjuster looks at the fire plan and realizes the response turnout is not up to NFPA standards, the insurance rating will not be favorable resulting in higher insurance costs to the building owner and ones renting, purchasing or leasing space.

When this happens the owners start to howl at council and want NFPA standards with corresponding insurance rates. Politics being what they are, council will capitulate if they want to keep their positions on council.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2629 posts

Postby CrystalCity » Jan 28th, 2021, 3:05 pm

With that perhaps now everyone is of the same understanding with the concern. :D

The city doesn't budget for the coverage a tower that hasn't began construction yet, so here's to the public attending and raising their concerns in future meetings.
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
CrystalCity
Fledgling

Liked in: 37 posts

Previous

Return to Central Okanagan