Cop transferred for pointing gun.

Re: Cop transferred for pointing gun.

Postby my5cents » Jan 17th, 2021, 7:01 pm

oldtrucker wrote:Do you think this would be as big of a issue 20 years ago? I don't. I bet similar events have happened countless times over the years.
I wasn't there. so maybe I am minimizing it too much. Only the person the joke was directed at and other people that were there can say if they thought it wasn't in dark humour

I can tell you categorically that 20 years ago this wasn't acceptable. Things were a lot different and by today's standards unbelievable but still there was a line.

Don't get me wrong I sympathize with the female constable. Cst Hess hasn't got a lot of common sense. His supposedly co-worker who was actually an off duty friend was having a bad night. When his attempt at kidding her wasn't accepted as a way of lightening the situation he should have picked up on that and changed his tactics. An immature person sometimes doesn't have that insight.

Unfortunately her answer to the situation crossed the line, a big line, IMO.

Does the RCMP have the right to settle this the way they did ? You and I are playing cards, having a few, I get mad and get my gun and point it at you, the police are made aware. Do you think they would have let me off as easy as they did her ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Guru

Liked in: 2928 posts

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Jan 17th, 2021, 7:32 pm

Really depends on time and place..
If that happened in a bar in Montana , and they tell him to hand it over to bartender tonput it behind the bar, it would be the end of it , and they would get it back next day. In A few states , many wear sidearms.
Of course that that does not make pointing it OK , here or anywhere else.. but different places .,different moods.
I must say I did find it a bit strange one day when a guy wearing a casual suit was in a Tim Hortons here in town and had a big pistol in a shoulder holster. Once I noticed it , it was a bit hard not to look.. hah..
Another time at Peace Arch a guy beside us in the next lane pulled a big revolver from under his seat when asked... seemed a bit weird for here. But across the border it is real common..... just assume everybody has a firearm .... :smt045
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

oldtrucker likes this post.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3329 posts

Postby nicholas p » Jan 17th, 2021, 7:44 pm

the truth wrote:if that is all it takes for her to pull here gun out, :200: she should be let go
man the standards are low these days

Why is it called teasing, It is called bullying.The male police officer was bullying the female cop who was doing work. Was the male cop paid from tax payers money to bully the person who was doing work?
nicholas p

Liked in: 10 posts

Postby Mrmarvingardens » Jan 17th, 2021, 9:27 pm

I think all those involved should meet at Tim"s and try the new coffee, jaw the problem and then go home and watch the latest episode of 911. :130:
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 18th, 2021, 8:56 am

nicholas p wrote:Why is it called teasing, It is called bullying.The male police officer was bullying the female cop who was doing work. Was the male cop paid from tax payers money to bully the person who was doing work?

It is called teasing when it is making fun and making light of a situation and as long as everyone is on the same page it's okay. People can laugh at themselves too. If someone says stop or is becoming agitated and upset the teasing crosses the line and it is then to the stage of bullying and harassment. At no time and in no similar situation does anyone draw their gun - ever. And this police officer knows that and is making and has made amends.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Liked in: 10796 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 18th, 2021, 9:09 am

my5cents wrote:You and I are playing cards, having a few, I get mad and get my gun and point it at you, the police are made aware. Do you think they would have let me off as easy as they did her ?

Well for starters as I said before -you and I ...-same planet, different world. I wouldn't deal with the cops over such a thing- I'd deal with you and only you.
Even if the police were made aware by some other third party, I would just tell them that you were drunk, deranged and that you just imagined you had a gun - covering yer bleep.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.

60-YEARS-in-Ktown likes this post.
oldtrucker
Guru

Liked in: 3859 posts

Postby normaM » Jan 18th, 2021, 9:10 am

I lived in Montana. If someone would pull a gun in a bar - half the patrons would pull out theirs
I don’t care what they’re going to say. Let the storm rage on.

3 people like this post.
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 16941 posts

Postby the truth » Jan 18th, 2021, 9:20 am

normaM wrote:I lived in Montana. If someone would pull a gun in a bar - half the patrons would pull out theirs

safe bet no one got hurt ,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

oldtrucker likes this post.
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 10767 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 18th, 2021, 9:25 am

the truth wrote:
normaM wrote:I lived in Montana. If someone would pull a gun in a bar - half the patrons would pull out theirs

safe bet no one got hurt ,

A packin' society is a polite society.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
oldtrucker
Guru

Liked in: 3859 posts

Postby the truth » Jan 18th, 2021, 9:29 am

it can be, but almost everyone seems to have an excuse for mental health issues these days , so these people should not carry
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 10767 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 18th, 2021, 9:31 am

the truth wrote:it can be, but almost everyone seems to have an excuse for mental health issues these days , so these people should not carry

So take guns away from everyone?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Get teased, points gun, get transferred

Postby Grandan » Jan 18th, 2021, 9:49 am

common_sense_guy wrote:Gee. it sounds as if you were actually there yourself because you're so sure she was only "slightly teased "as you put it.
So there's absolutely no chance that other people might construe it as harassment? And there's absolutely no chance according to you that there may not have been ongoing harassment? And of course based on your comment there's absolutely no chance at all that she just might be disliked because she follows the rules and the other guys possibly don't like her and we're trying to get her forced out? Of course not never happens in real life does it?. It is just cut and dried , black-and-white like there's no tomorrow huh?
Come on. Unless you were there your opinion should not be so strong

I agree, plus we do not now what happened in the weeks or months leading up to this incident.
If this was truly a lot of joking around between officers then buddy would not have filed a complaint. It suggests to me this yet another case of men harassing a female. Buddy should receive a reprimand for harassing someone trying to do her work but I doubt that will happen. I hope he is satisfied with his efforts. His turn is coming.
Waste not
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1310 posts

Postby Grandan » Jan 18th, 2021, 9:54 am

kelocal wrote:
Even Steven wrote:Maybe she's more fit for work at Starbucks.

I mean throwing a hot coffee can still do some good damage. [icon_lol2.gif]

Maybe a job where she doesn't interact with the public at all would be better suited for her.

so it seems on the job harassment is Ok.
Waste not
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1310 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Jan 18th, 2021, 9:55 am

This last few pages of conversation I find pretty surprising.

Pointing your firearm at another person regardless of the situation shows really poor judgement. Doesn't matter if it was all in good fun, doesn't matter if the other guy also pointed his gun at you, doesn't matter if you were laughing and having a good time through it. It's incredibly stupid, and anyone who does so shouldn't be trusted with a firearm - especially in the name of "protecting the public".

It's not about how the other person felt, doesn't matter than it was a "joke" and they had no intention of ever pulling the trigger - it's the fact that you're incredibly stupid to do it and anyone who does should not be trusted with a weapon or a job that involves carrying a weapon.

2 people like this post.
TylerM4
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2657 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 18th, 2021, 9:59 am

TylerM4 wrote:Pointing your firearm at another person regardless of the situation shows really poor judgement.

Anyone who has taken a course or owns a firearm should know the rules - no excuses. Not just showing poor judgment but showing no judgment at all. Those there know it, she knows it and now everyone who has read the story knows it.

TylerM4 likes this post.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan