Cop transferred for pointing gun.

Re: Cop transferred for pointing gun.

Postby Grandan » Jan 18th, 2021, 10:03 am

Even Steven wrote:
Rejigger wrote:This incident with the female officer sure is garnering a lot of emotionally-charged responses. Hmm. Is it possible there's a double standard at play here?

Of course, there is. If it was a male officer, he'd be out of the force faster than you can say "Kakapoopoopeepeeshire" and everybody would cheer.

But female for some reason is given slack, and for some reason, some people think it's ok to be emotionally unstable and threatening your colleagues with a firearm just because somebody hurt moody cow's feelings.

Right, you were there and saw this whole thing go down and can offer the true story . The person who was unstable here was the cop that was harassing the fellow officer impeding their work.
Waste not
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1310 posts

Postby featfan » Jan 18th, 2021, 10:06 am

How will she react to someone videoing her during a stop?
Without a body cam on her things could get ugly fast.
featfan
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2468 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 18th, 2021, 10:08 am

Since she's under supervision, taking counselling and I believe more courses she may well prove to be a productive well balanced individual for the rest of her career.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Liked in: 10796 posts

Re: Get teased, points gun, get transferred

Postby Rejigger » Jan 18th, 2021, 10:54 am

common_sense_guy wrote:Come on. Unless you were there your opinion should not be so strong

I agree. No one here seems upset with a sergeant who punches his flunkies, but some of the over-the-top reactions to this story is surprising (someone posted that "she (Roesler) will kill someone"). To think that male police officers don't behave in the same manner as Hess and Roesler did, and get away with it, would be naive. She messed up (to whatever degree you want to believe) and is being punished in a way that was decided on by those who had ALL of the info (as much as some may disagree with it). My comments are focused on the reactions to that outcome - I'm wondering why opinions are so strong.

my5cents wrote:As for a "double standard"... isn't a double standard when the same incident or type of occurrence happens and two individuals get treated differently ?

Yes. Or, in this case, when two incidents** garner opposite reactions from members of a discussion board.

**One with actual physical assault - that sergeant didn't control his temper either but seems to get a pass here, despite the fact that he was a repeat offender. The other, without physical assault, from a first-time offender who has now been punished.
Rejigger
Board Meister

Liked in: 362 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 18th, 2021, 11:17 am

The posters that are saying that pointing a gun at another person or anything you don't intend to shoot are 100% correct in every way. It was a dumb call- not saying it wasn't.
My opinion on this would be totally different if she pulled it out and actually pointed it. To my understanding and maybe I'm uninformed on the details, it was pulled out of the holster high enough that the curve /disk of the muzzle could be seen. To my understanding she wasn't pointing and looking right down the sight line at the guy. Gun was unholstered either way, but a huge difference in severity of scenarios.
I'm gathering from what I read that it didn't make it more than a few inches away from the top of the holster for a count of one one thousan...
What she should of done to have the same dark humour effect was just put her hand on it without pulling it and at the same time saying ".....bleep off.... I'm in the mood." or something like that.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
oldtrucker
Guru

Liked in: 3859 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 18th, 2021, 11:21 am

oldtrucker wrote: I'm gathering from what I read that it didn't make it more than a few inches away from the top of the holster for a count of one one thousan...

It was a few seconds.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Postby Even Steven » Jan 18th, 2021, 11:25 am

Grandan wrote:The person who was unstable here was the cop that was harassing the fellow officer impeding their work.

Right, you were there and saw this whole thing go down and can offer the true story .
Even Steven
Guru

Liked in: 4354 posts

Postby featfan » Jan 18th, 2021, 11:27 am

She has received no prior discipline and had significant personal stressors in her life at the time, including the dissolution of her marriage, financial concerns, being distant from her family and starting a new career.

So what will be the outcome when her next relationship fails?
I think her career choice needs a review.
How long has she been a police officer?
featfan
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2468 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 18th, 2021, 11:37 am

The decisions have been made to give her a second chance - she won't get another one.

2 people like this post.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Postby one wheel » Jan 18th, 2021, 12:05 pm

Maybe the teasing ( harassment ) is done to get women out of the force & have the RCMP exclusively for men only ?

Women have left their posts due to unacceptable treatment & our Courts have awarded some with large settlements.
one wheel
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 1107 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 18th, 2021, 12:08 pm

one wheel wrote:Maybe the teasing ( harassment ) is done to get women out of the force & have the RCMP exclusively for men only ?

Women have left their posts due to unacceptable treatment & our Courts have awarded some with large settlements.

In this case the two were friends outside of work.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Postby my5cents » Jan 18th, 2021, 12:38 pm

oldtrucker wrote:The posters that are saying that pointing a gun at another person or anything you don't intend to shoot are 100% correct in every way. It was a dumb call- not saying it wasn't.
My opinion on this would be totally different if she pulled it out and actually pointed it. To my understanding and maybe I'm uninformed on the details, it was pulled out of the holster high enough that the curve /disk of the muzzle could be seen. To my understanding she wasn't pointing and looking right down the sight line at the guy. Gun was unholstered either way, but a huge difference in severity of scenarios.
I'm gathering from what I read that it didn't make it more than a few inches away from the top of the holster for a count of one one thousan...
What she should of done to have the same dark humour effect was just put her hand on it without pulling it and at the same time saying ".....bleep off.... I'm in the mood." or something like that.

I don't know where you're getting the "it was pulled out of the holster high enough that the curve /disk of the muzzle could be seen. To my understanding she wasn't pointing and looking right down the sight line at the guy"

In the article Hess is quoted as saying : "And it was like pointed at me. Like if it went off like I honestly can’t say like a hundred percent like if it would hit me or not. But I do remember seeing like the, the circle of the barrel"

"It was pointed at me", "I remember seeing the circle of the barrel" (Not the "curve/disk" of the muzzle)

"she wasn't pointing and looking right down the sight line at the guy" that's old school pistol shooting, sighting down the barrel. Both eye open, point and squeeze.

Certain acts are "dumb calls", and can be forgiven. Other serious completely out of line acts are not. IMO this was seriously out of line, so far that I now question RCMP management for their actions as well.

They should also be looking at Hess. What's up with him thinking that teasing a co-worker to the extent that it is bullying was not worthy of some serious repercussions.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Guru

Liked in: 2928 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 18th, 2021, 12:49 pm

my5cents wrote:Certain acts are "dumb calls", and can be forgiven. Other serious completely out of line acts are not. IMO this was seriously out of line, so far that I now question RCMP management for their actions as well.

They should also be looking at Hess. What's up with him thinking that teasing a co-worker to the extent that it is bullying was not worthy of some serious repercussions.
I agree about Hess - I don't think I saw his actions questioned.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7579301/teas ... rker-rcmp/
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Postby TylerM4 » Jan 18th, 2021, 2:54 pm

oldtrucker wrote:The posters that are saying that pointing a gun at another person or anything you don't intend to shoot are 100% correct in every way. It was a dumb call- not saying it wasn't.

I get where you're going here but even then, un-holstering your firearm without a legitimate need to prepare to shoot is also poor judgement. This is basic firearm handling training we're talking about. You still risk shooting someone in the next room, floor above/below, etc. Remember it's loaded. Even that is a disciplinary action for RCMP member - a civilian doing such faces arrest/charges unless it occurs on their own private property (or a gun range) AND it's not done in a way that threatens/intimidates neighbors or guests.
TylerM4
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2657 posts

Postby the truth » Jan 18th, 2021, 4:53 pm

Fancy wrote:
the truth wrote:it can be, but almost everyone seems to have an excuse for mental health issues these days , so these people should not carry

So take guns away from everyone?

no just mental health ones, *removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 18th, 2021, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 10767 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan