What's it like to live in Oyama?

What's it like to live in Oyama?

Postby DavidB52 » Jan 17th, 2021, 9:27 pm

The way things are going here in the Lower Mainland, I am seriously considering moving out and into the Okanagan.

Looking at a map of B.C., Oyama caught my eye. Not a big place, so I assume land prices might be better than a larger city. Mid-way between Vernon and Kelowna if I ever need something from a bigger city. Climate looks good.

So . . . on paper Oyama looks like a nice place to settle down and have a decent life. However, I am wondering if there are any issues that might not be apparent. I have driven through Oyama a few times in the summer, but not made an investigation of the place. It was hot and dry. Which raises my first question: is water an issue around Oyama? Besides regular drinking water which, I assume, the city supplies, would a family-sized garden need access to extra water for irrigation? Is high-speed Internet readily accessible? Are property taxes higher compared to nearby communities?

Looking forward to hearing impressions from people who live there.
DavidB52

Liked in: 0 post

Re: What's it like to live in Oyama?

Postby BC Landlord » Jan 17th, 2021, 10:53 pm

DavidB52 wrote:The way things are going here in the Lower Mainland, I am seriously considering moving out and into the Okanagan.

Looking at a map of B.C., Oyama caught my eye. Not a big place, so I assume land prices might be better than a larger city. Mid-way between Vernon and Kelowna if I ever need something from a bigger city. Climate looks good.

So . . . on paper Oyama looks like a nice place to settle down and have a decent life. However, I am wondering if there are any issues that might not be apparent. I have driven through Oyama a few times in the summer, but not made an investigation of the place. It was hot and dry. Which raises my first question: is water an issue around Oyama? Besides regular drinking water which, I assume, the city supplies, would a family-sized garden need access to extra water for irrigation? Is high-speed Internet readily accessible? Are property taxes higher compared to nearby communities?

Looking forward to hearing impressions from people who live there.

The entire valley's RE market is going crazy lately, especially this year, and I would assume Oyama is not an exception. Most of the land by the lake is agricultural, but there are some cottages up in the hills, east. Not sure what else is available. If you are at lower elevations, the water table would be high, so gardening shouldn't be a problem.
BC Landlord
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 737 posts

Postby stuphoto » Jan 17th, 2021, 11:17 pm

Although I have never lived in Oyama it would be one of my top choices,
However with that in mind, I have often looked and very rarely see any place available for rent or for sale there.
There could be a reason for that.

The only real issue I can see is one main narrow road going in and out. Which can be insane during the summer.
There is a back road going to Winfield. It actually has some beautiful properties along it however it's beside a mountain so very little direct sunlight compared to the rest of the valley.
The advantage would be less air conditioning required during the summer.

Another place I would look at is Okanagan Landing. Again beautiful, probably a little less busy and a little more sunshine than the mountain side of Oyama.
Plus an added bonus, it seems to be easier to find a place to live.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1615 posts

Postby Even Steven » Jan 17th, 2021, 11:42 pm

Boring as heck
No stores around
No restaurants
Nosy neighbors
Too many tourists in the summer
Ultimate one horse small town
It even smells like moth balls

voice of reason likes this post.
Even Steven
Guru

Liked in: 4354 posts

Postby stuphoto » Jan 18th, 2021, 12:35 am

Even Steven is 100% right, although that is what I like about the place. I prefer smaller towns.
Except for the Mothballs. I have nose plugs for that.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1615 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 18th, 2021, 1:23 am

You wouldn't like it here !

Within a few months of being here you and your Family would miss all the amenities
you are used to having at your beck and call 24/7/365.

Then you would brain-storm that what Oyama needs is gas stations, restaurants,
shopping and entertainment venues.

Then you would need to form a corporation to secure capital not only to actually
build, but also to stuff enough envelopes to get the local councils
on your side so you could build the shangri-la of your dreams.

Nope. Nothing to see here.

It is really friendly and welcoming community though.

eta; with the wonderful world of rail trail the whole planet comes through
with their litter, dog crap, and screaming little demon spawn at feverish rate
non-stop.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 6186 posts

Postby Boosted632 » Jan 18th, 2021, 8:14 am

Oyama rocks you will love it dont tell anyone else tho.
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY

2 people like this post.
Boosted632
√úbergod

Liked in: 1306 posts

Postby common_sense_guy » Jan 18th, 2021, 12:51 pm

Prices are just as high as everywhere else. No amenities but people don't live here because of the amenities they live here because it's quiet and nice and peaceful for the most part. Vernon and Kelowna are a stone's throw away for whatever you need. But sorry there's no more room ;) try Vernon. I hear the drugs are cheap and very plentiful
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.

dirtybiker likes this post.
common_sense_guy
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 987 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 18th, 2021, 1:17 pm

DavidB52 wrote:The way things are going here in the Lower Mainland, I am seriously considering moving out and into the Okanagan.

I just read your first post that you posted on this forum in 2009, nothing has changed in the Okanagan since then. If you were concerned about being able to get a job back then, that same concern applies today, so I would definitely get something lined up before you leap. Oyama is not much cheaper than any other place in the OK, but keep in mind you'll have to add the costs and time for commuting and traffic along the main corridors in Kelowna and Vernon have zero flow, so traffic can back up even though the traffic volume is quite moderate.

If you're outdoorsy, the OK is a great place to live, but other than that, there is really nothing to do there. There's always a difference between spending a week a year for holidays some place and living there.

We moved from Vernon to the Lower Mainland a few years ago and haven't looked back, while the cost of living here is higher, the difference in wages between here and the Okanagan makes up for it and puts us financially ahead every month. We have other friends that have done the same and we also have some friends that moved from here to the Okanagan and they're all happy with their choices. Just take your time and really put thought into it :up:
"Conspiracy Theories are a way for idiots to feel like intellectuals."

- David Baddiel

3 people like this post.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 18808 posts

Postby workingclasshero » Jan 18th, 2021, 6:47 pm

Oyama is a nice quite place to live with Wood Lake nearby.
however parts do not have natural gas, sewage, sidewalks or street lights.
the new sub division on the north end are very nice.
workingclasshero
Fledgling

Liked in: 100 posts

Return to Central Okanagan