New University Location: Doyle, 3 Highrises, right downtown

New University Location: Doyle, 3 Highrises, right downtown

Postby A10ThunderboltII » Jan 19th, 2021, 2:29 am

Wouldn't it be a better idea to use LESS EXPENSIVE property, Elsewhere ?

holdin likes this post.
A10ThunderboltII
Fledgling

Liked in: 105 posts

Re: New University Location: Doyle, 3 Highrises, right downt

Postby oneh2obabe » Jan 19th, 2021, 2:58 am

Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Anonymous123 likes this post.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 17195 posts

Postby lifegives » Jan 19th, 2021, 6:19 am

A10ThunderboltII wrote:Wouldn't it be a better idea to use LESS EXPENSIVE property, Elsewhere ?

Access to education shouldn't be easy? Rather use expensive property to build expensive residences? Don't put services where the majority of people are?

Your question seems to express your disapproval of this plan of UBCO but I'm not sure what your reasoning is. Can you expand on it?
lifegives
Board Meister

Liked in: 168 posts

Postby Anonymous123 » Jan 19th, 2021, 9:13 am

A10ThunderboltII wrote:Wouldn't it be a better idea to use LESS EXPENSIVE property, Elsewhere ?

No. It’s their money let them spend it as they see fit.
We See
We Judge
We Get Muzzled
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2635 posts

Postby Queen K » Jan 19th, 2021, 9:24 am

More of beautiful Kelowna disappearing. Heck, why only three stories? Make it five or six and really do it in.
Stay tuned for another episode of "Terrified of Trump's Base."
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 20997 posts

Postby cv23 » Jan 19th, 2021, 11:48 am

So you are saying that UBCO receives zero funds from the government (taxpayer money) ?

No matter who's money it is a downtown campus for education is a better use of the land and far more beneficial to the community than more STR's(hotel rooms)

CrystalCity likes this post.
cv23
Guru

Liked in: 2522 posts

Postby cv23 » Jan 19th, 2021, 12:02 pm

Heck, why only three stories? Make it five or six and really do it in.

From the conceptual renderings the pedestal base looks to be three to four stories with the three tower components above being in the teens, or more, on top of that 3-4 story pedestal base. Gonna be a very busy area for construction if even half of the proposed developments proceed.
cv23
Guru

Postby Even Steven » Jan 19th, 2021, 12:36 pm

Oh no...More tall buildings! The sky is falling! The sun is being blocked!

2 people like this post.
Even Steven
Guru

Liked in: 4354 posts

Postby lensbaby » Jan 19th, 2021, 12:51 pm

Less expensive than what?
lensbaby
Fledgling

Liked in: 201 posts

Postby voice of reason » Jan 19th, 2021, 1:02 pm

Anonymous123 wrote:

where do you think they get their money from?
voice of reason
Übergod

Liked in: 2509 posts

Postby CrystalCity » Jan 19th, 2021, 1:28 pm

it's not uncommon for universities to have satellite campuses located in urban cores, especially when a program involves practicum work.
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
CrystalCity
Fledgling

Liked in: 37 posts

Postby voice of reason » Jan 19th, 2021, 1:34 pm

if they are going to be building tall building in this town the doyle ave area is where they should be building them

2 people like this post.
voice of reason
Übergod

Liked in: 2509 posts

Postby mymojo » Jan 19th, 2021, 1:38 pm

Although I haven't yet attended the info session which is happening tonight, from my knowledge, these buildings will house students and their lectures from programs such as nursing and social work, which often have topics around the homeless population downtown. Also having the Interior health building around the corner helps with administration and the link with the south medical programs MD students. Being in close proximity (literally outside the doors) to downtown population seems more useful than hypothesizing about problems 30 minutes away at the north end main campus.

Additionally, UBCO offers other courses in which they would make trips down to the RCMP detachment or courthouse (forensic psych for example). In previous years situations, you would have 100+ students drive downtown and find parking for these field trips. Now, they would be able to walk to either of these neighboring buildings, saving the need for taking up prime parking.

There are many benefits to surrounding neighbors to a downtown uni campus, even if it is just for a few hours a week for classes as these are often in the middle of the day and not busy hours. Students may be stopping at local businesses for their coffee or snacks rather than other options, supporting the downtown area more. I just hope they build enough parking within these UBCO buildings!!!

2 people like this post.
mymojo

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby CrystalCity » Jan 19th, 2021, 1:51 pm

mymojo wrote:Although I haven't yet attended the info session which is happening tonight, from my knowledge, these buildings will house students and their lectures from programs such as nursing and social work, which often have topics around the homeless population downtown. Also having the Interior health building around the corner helps with administration and the link with the south medical programs MD students. Being in close proximity (literally outside the doors) to downtown population seems more useful than hypothesizing about problems 30 minutes away at the north end main campus.

Additionally, UBCO offers other courses in which they would make trips down to the RCMP detachment or courthouse (forensic psych for example). In previous years situations, you would have 100+ students drive downtown and find parking for these field trips. Now, they would be able to walk to either of these neighboring buildings, saving the need for taking up prime parking.

There are many benefits to surrounding neighbors to a downtown uni campus, even if it is just for a few hours a week for classes as these are often in the middle of the day and not busy hours. Students may be stopping at local businesses for their coffee or snacks rather than other options, supporting the downtown area more. I just hope they build enough parking within these UBCO buildings!!!

There's also the potential the lease rooms out when not in use to interest groups such as the Justice Institute for training. The Justice Institute campus isn't exactly all that modern, if you've noticed.
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
CrystalCity
Fledgling

Liked in: 37 posts

Postby cv23 » Jan 19th, 2021, 1:54 pm

mymojo wrote:Although I haven't yet attended the info session which is happening tonight, from my knowledge, these buildings will house students and their lectures from programs such as nursing and social work, which often have topics around the homeless population downtown. Also having the Interior health building around the corner helps with administration and the link with the south medical programs MD students. Being in close proximity (literally outside the doors) to downtown population seems more useful than hypothesizing about problems 30 minutes away at the north end main campus.

Welcome to the forums mymojo !
cv23
Guru

Next

Return to Central Okanagan