Pack of dogs Attack

Re: Pack of dogs Attack

Postby Fancy » Jan 21st, 2021, 8:42 am

Anonymous123 wrote:We’re they “responsible” because they know that the neighbour is a retired Mountie and didn’t want any further investigations?

According to the news item the retired Mountie wasn't the neighbour.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
Fancy
Insanely Prolific
 
Posts: 56705
Likes: 2007 posts
Liked in: 10796 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Pack of dogs Attack

Postby mexi cali » Jan 21st, 2021, 9:49 am

bernie428 wrote:
mexi cali wrote:I got nothin. People need to relax. Stuff sometimes happens with animals for reasons we don't understand. Doesn't mean we need to bring out the needle.

If I reacted in a panic every time I was injured by an animal.....Actually I don't know what to say here because I didn't.

Stepped on, kicked, bit, chased, and not by any means all by dogs. Some yes, but all?? Nope.


Did you read the story above, or just start typing your feelings on dogs?
Seriously, they were attacked randomly on their own property!
The only thing that saved them was his specialized training.
What, 98% don't have that? 97%? Semantics.
You shouldn't need to be an ex cop or a dog expert to make it into your house.
Please read the article again.
He allowed the dog to bite.
What normal person has the ability to do that with 3 dogs on them?

Not a great example of responsible breeding either, are they?


Oh, I read it. I am not defending the owners because clearly they are not doing what needs to be done to ensure that stuff like this doesn't happen. My point was and is that while being bitten by a dog is serious, the result doesn't need to be euthanasia automatically.

I am impressed by the actions of both individuals, the man for not "resisting" so to speak and the woman for not freaking out. It's scary when dogs attack but again, I don't agree with putting them down because of incidents like this. The owners bear the responsibility for keeping the peace and as such should be fined accordingly and maybe the dogs are removed from the home.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
User avatar
mexi cali
Guru
 
Posts: 7753
Likes: 4798 posts
Liked in: 6597 posts
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 2:48 pm

Re: Pack of dogs Attack

Postby Even Steven » Jan 21st, 2021, 10:07 am

Anonymous123 wrote:We’re they “responsible” because they know that the neighbour is a retired Mountie and didn’t want any further investigations?

That would be speculation.
Even Steven
Guru
 
Posts: 5050
Likes: 428 posts
Liked in: 4354 posts
Joined: Mar 24th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: Pack of dogs Attack

Postby Sparki55 » Jan 21st, 2021, 10:44 am

Imagine if we treated humans the same way...

OMG, you punched someone one time, you're aggressive and need to be put down...

Or you get into your first car accident and we take your license away because you obviously can't drive.

We're dealing with animals that cannot speak English and don't understand the consequences of their actions. If you could tell a dog that if they bite people that they will be destroyed, no dog would bite anyone then.

The issue is the owners. People also make mistakes. There are consequences for your actions but we are not an "eye for an eye" society or in this case "a life for a bite".
Sparki55
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2503
Likes: 1505 posts
Liked in: 2682 posts
Joined: Feb 24th, 2013, 2:38 pm

Re: Pack of dogs Attack

Postby TylerM4 » Jan 21st, 2021, 10:55 am

Sparki55 wrote:Imagine if we treated humans the same way...

OMG, you punched someone one time, you're aggressive and need to be put down...

Or you get into your first car accident and we take your license away because you obviously can't drive.

We're dealing with animals that cannot speak English and don't understand the consequences of their actions. If you could tell a dog that if they bite people that they will be destroyed, no dog would bite anyone then.

The issue is the owners. People also make mistakes. There are consequences for your actions but we are not an "eye for an eye" society or in this case "a life for a bite".


Sorry, but I for one don't support the idea of Doggy Jail, doggy community service, or Doggy rehab. Humans don't get to attack and walk away with no consequences either.

A single bite I agree is a bit much to call for euthanasia. But was it only a single bite because the "dog isn't that aggressive" or was it only a single bite because the person being bitten knew exactly how to de-escalate the situation? I strongly suspect that had it been a child involved, we'd be reading a very different news article with very different outcome. Does the previous victim being an adult make the dog more/less dangerous? Unlike humans we don't put down dogs as a punishment or as a warning to others, we do it solely to prevent potential future attacks. If it's only the potential to attack that's driving the need to put a dog down, does it really matter how bad the previous attack was?
Last edited by TylerM4 on Jan 21st, 2021, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

2 people like this post.
TylerM4
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2952
Likes: 827 posts
Liked in: 2657 posts
Joined: Feb 27th, 2014, 4:22 pm

Re: Pack of dogs Attack

Postby Fancy » Jan 21st, 2021, 11:07 am

Here's the bylaw (my post earlier said "dangerous" but sounds like it will be deemed "aggressive" depending...)
https://www.regionaldistrict.com/media/ ... aw1343.pdf
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
Fancy
Insanely Prolific
 
Posts: 56705
Likes: 2007 posts
Liked in: 10796 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Pack of dogs Attack

Postby dogspoiler » Jan 21st, 2021, 2:00 pm

I am a little puzzled by the folks that want those three dogs put down when the article says only one dog bit.
Black Dogs Matter

Sparki55 likes this post.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17599
Likes: 839 posts
Liked in: 3913 posts
Joined: Feb 20th, 2009, 4:32 am
Location: Okanagan

Re: Pack of dogs Attack

Postby Sparki55 » Jan 21st, 2021, 3:26 pm

TylerM4 wrote:Sorry, but I for one don't support the idea of Doggy Jail, doggy community service, or Doggy rehab. Humans don't get to attack and walk away with no consequences either.


That wasn't my thought, I was thinking of it like 3 times and then we take more action. Yes, that means more unnecessary dog bites but fewer dogs being euthanased after only 1 bite that only saw a few drops of blood.

TylerM4 wrote:I strongly suspect that had it been a child involved, we'd be reading a very different news article with very different outcome. Does the previous victim being an adult make the dog more/less dangerous?


Dogs treat children differently than adults. My dog is a great example of how she can play with any person or dog no matter the size difference, she just adjusts her force to match.

TylerM4 wrote:Unlike humans we don't put down dogs as a punishment or as a warning to others, we do it solely to prevent potential future attacks. If it's only the potential to attack that's driving the need to put a dog down, does it really matter how bad the previous attack was?


It is a punishment if it doesn't match the level of aggressiveness. Had this dog actually done damage beyond skin bite then we have a better case.
Sparki55
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2503
Likes: 1505 posts
Liked in: 2682 posts
Joined: Feb 24th, 2013, 2:38 pm

Re: Pack of dogs Attack

Postby normaM » Jan 21st, 2021, 6:03 pm

I like pitties, but if it had been a child who was disfigured some of you would be singing a different tune
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/boy-gets-9 ... -1.5025401
I don’t care what they’re going to say. Let the storm rage on.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 25478
Likes: 22196 posts
Liked in: 16941 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2007, 7:28 am

Re: Pack of dogs Attack

Postby Fancy » Jan 21st, 2021, 6:19 pm

It wasn't a child though. No point in "what ifs".
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
Fancy
Insanely Prolific
 
Posts: 56705
Likes: 2007 posts
Liked in: 10796 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Pack of dogs Attack

Postby normaM » Jan 22nd, 2021, 7:17 am

Huh? a bite is a bite is a bite. Because if is a Man doesn't make it any less - the people have dogs that appear out of control
I don’t care what they’re going to say. Let the storm rage on.

3 people like this post.
User avatar
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 25478
Likes: 22196 posts
Liked in: 16941 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2007, 7:28 am

Re: Pack of dogs Attack

Postby W105 » Jan 22nd, 2021, 7:39 am

darn lucky that it wasn't a child or a senior citizen..and yes it could have easily been either..

2 people like this post.
W105
Guru
 
Posts: 6470
Likes: 4822 posts
Liked in: 7531 posts
Joined: Apr 20th, 2012, 8:46 am

Re: Pack of dogs Attack

Postby gjohns87 » Jan 22nd, 2021, 10:02 am

We're very lucky it was an ex-RCMP who knew the best thing to do was to remain calm. Presumedly he's had several years of training in remaining calm and handling all types of situations. Many of us don't.

What if this had been some regaular joe walking in the street with their dog, and they had to watch helplessly as their dog was mauled by 3 others? I've seen a pitbull attack a golden retriever with the owner frantically trying to get the dog off, luckily the dog survived and didn't have any major injuries but thats not something I ever want to see again. There is a reason these types of dogs are illegal in many places.

2 people like this post.
gjohns87
 
Posts: 52
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 35 posts
Joined: Apr 28th, 2005, 5:18 pm

Re: Pack of dogs Attack

Postby bernie428 » Jan 22nd, 2021, 10:52 am

I had a big dog charge me once. I was walking down a deserted industrial area.
The owner yelled 'DONT MOVE'.
So the dog stopped and growled a bit until buddy ran up.
No problem you say, no big deal?
Good thing I;
spoke English
wasn't deaf or hard of hearing
was able to suppress my panic.

You can't rely on luck or the victims calm.
What if does matter. Do you wait until it is a kid or a senior or someone who runs because they're afraid of dogs?
Those dogs need a better owner.
bernie428
Board Meister
 
Posts: 618
Likes: 953 posts
Liked in: 523 posts
Joined: Aug 8th, 2011, 6:19 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: Pack of dogs Attack

Postby bernie428 » Jan 22nd, 2021, 10:54 am

Fancy wrote:It wasn't a child though. No point in "what ifs".


What ifs do matter.

We arrest drunk drivers on what ifs.
Unsafe firearms usage

If it was a mild nip, a jump and a bark, sure.
This is on the other end of the scale.
Sorry doesn't cut it, the situation needs to be corrected.
bernie428
Board Meister
 
Posts: 618
Likes: 953 posts
Liked in: 523 posts
Joined: Aug 8th, 2011, 6:19 pm
Location: Kelowna

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests