Is this another Wet or Dry house?

Is this another Wet or Dry house?

Postby stuphoto » Jan 29th, 2021, 5:04 pm

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... re-housing

complex care needs is a pretty broad terminology. Even if it doesn't start off as another wet housing unit I would be surprised if the druggies don't take over within 2 years.

holdin likes this post.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1615 posts

Re: Is this another Wet or Dry house?

Postby JayByrd » Jan 29th, 2021, 5:46 pm

Street drugs will no doubt be an issue for at least some of the residents of a complex care facility.
Finding something on the internet that aligns with your worldview, is not research.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1879 posts

Postby Trixster » Jan 29th, 2021, 6:21 pm

It will be for homeless people with complex mental issues and yes some are addicted to drugs.

Scrobins94 likes this post.
Trixster
Fledgling

Liked in: 146 posts

Postby the truth » Jan 29th, 2021, 6:42 pm

stuphoto wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/323502/Urban-Mayors-Caucus-works-with-province-on-pilot-project-for-complex-care-housing

complex care needs is a pretty broad terminology. Even if it doesn't start off as another wet housing unit I would be surprised if the druggies don't take over within 2 years.

do not be fooled by the wording , it will be a 24/7 junkie facility like the rest of them. :cuss:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

4 people like this post.
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 10767 posts

Postby lifegives » Jan 29th, 2021, 7:24 pm

I've been amazed at the pessimism on this forum. Here's an idea to try and solve a problem with more tools and before it's even got a shovel in the ground the average joe starts worrying about themselves.

There are people who haven't gotten lucky in this life, and they need help. If the shoe were on the other foot wouldn't you appreciate some help?

2 people like this post.
lifegives
Board Meister

Liked in: 168 posts

Postby heydaveking » Jan 29th, 2021, 8:27 pm

lifegives wrote:I've been amazed at the pessimism on this forum. Here's an idea to try and solve a problem with more tools and before it's even got a shovel in the ground the average joe starts worrying about themselves.

There are people who haven't gotten lucky in this life, and they need help. If the shoe were on the other foot wouldn't you appreciate some help?

These problems are extremely easily solved. People with views like you need only to take these people into your house and look after them.

I'm amazed at how many people have solutions for other people to fix the problems. I would have more respect of your point of view if you were housing a currently homeless, drug addicted person. Talk is cheap. Get all your likeminded people together to look after these people and problem is solved.

8 people like this post.
heydaveking

Liked in: 46 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 29th, 2021, 9:52 pm

These types of facilities are just another business

Another angle to syphon funds from people that earn an honest living.

The talk all points to well meaning.

The end result just always seams to be nothing but a money
sucking enterprise.

Many people pad their accounts quite nicely on the premise of being
societies saviour.

Some may be decent people, Way too many charlatans peeing in the pool though.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

10 people like this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 6186 posts

Postby Symbonite » Jan 30th, 2021, 1:04 am

well BC housing should really jump on this property because it will soon be vacant at 2479 BC-97, Kelowna, BC V1X 4J2 AND no consultation needed.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1174 posts

Postby the truth » Jan 30th, 2021, 9:55 am

heydaveking wrote:
lifegives wrote:I've been amazed at the pessimism on this forum. Here's an idea to try and solve a problem with more tools and before it's even got a shovel in the ground the average joe starts worrying about themselves.

These problems are extremely easily solved. People with views like you need only to take these people into your house and look after them.

I'm amazed at how many people have solutions for other people to fix the problems. I would have more respect of your point of view if you were housing a currently homeless, drug addicted person. Talk is cheap. Get all your likeminded people together to look after these people and problem is solved.

exactly....................
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Postby lifegives » Jan 30th, 2021, 11:15 am

heydaveking wrote:These problems are extremely easily solved. People with views like you need only to take these people into your house and look after them.

Heard this suggestion plenty of times, but I'm also smart enough to recognize I do not have the tools to directly help these people. That is why I support wrap-around services like this. If you can leave another human to the elements because they aren't like you then what would you expect of others to treat you? Society isn't about the individual.

Scrobins94 likes this post.
lifegives
Board Meister

Liked in: 168 posts

Postby the truth » Jan 30th, 2021, 12:15 pm

i can assure you that if one of these 24/7 crack shacks opened up on your block you would be singing another tune , trust me i know , it happened on my block , and no matter what the bs news says its a , poop show were ever they open

bc housing is a :cuss: joke, https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... ng-worries nice to see someone look into there bs unlike kelowna city hall

5 people like this post.
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Postby heydaveking » Jan 30th, 2021, 12:40 pm

lifegives wrote:
heydaveking wrote:These problems are extremely easily solved. People with views like you need only to take these people into your house and look after them.

Heard this suggestion plenty of times, but I'm also smart enough to recognize I do not have the tools to directly help these people. That is why I support wrap-around services like this. If you can leave another human to the elements because they aren't like you then what would you expect of others to treat you? Society isn't about the individual.

I've heard your copout countless times.
Me, I will treat others the way I want to be treated.
If I am unable to live an unhealthy, unsafe life (for myself and others) on my own then I want to be put in a setting where I will be cared for.
Care does not mean helping addicts access and use drugs, give them a few bucks and let them back out on the streets.
I wouldn't leave them "out in the elements" like your wonderful plan, I would house them in a nice, safe, healthy institution. And no, not like the asylums of the past but a much more humane way now that we have recognized mistakes of the past.
heydaveking

Liked in: 46 posts

Postby firsttimecaller » Jan 31st, 2021, 10:50 am

Helping them is one thing, but it is being done far too softly. Ask anyone who has had a bike or other property stolen by someone needing drug money how they feel about thieving junkies.

Helping people is great, enabling people is crap. Being an addict does not excuse criminal behaviour.

4 people like this post.
firsttimecaller
Fledgling

Liked in: 489 posts

Postby stuphoto » Jan 31st, 2021, 11:27 am

firsttimecaller wrote:

Helping them is one thing, but it is being done far too softly. Ask anyone who has had a bike or other property stolen by someone needing drug money how they feel about thieving junkies.

Helping people is great, enabling people is *bleep*. Being an addict does not excuse criminal behaviour.

I am all for helping any who legitimately want to change otherwise it's useless.

3 people like this post.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1615 posts

Postby kgcayenne » Jan 31st, 2021, 9:07 pm

I don’t know what will work. I do know, from speaking with those interacting with the street-entrenched (while they’re helping me clean up disgusting :cuss: left behind by the street-entrenched), that there are people migrating from ALL OVER because of our ‘services’. Those migrating do not have good intentions.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

5 people like this post.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5340 posts

Next

Return to Central Okanagan