Is this another Wet or Dry house?

Re: Is this another Wet or Dry house?

Postby alanjh595 » Feb 4th, 2021, 2:01 pm

the truth wrote:so much for the useless $200,000 junkie bus they bought last year with tax payers money another fail by ih

What exactly was that "bus" purchased?

Is there a link?

What was the cost?

Is there a link?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7077 posts

Postby lifegives » Feb 4th, 2021, 2:26 pm

Mrmarvingardens wrote:Not any mention on local media, unless I missed it.
A safe injection site is in the works for downtown.
In the general are of Leon/Lawrence Ellis area
Part of Interior Health's mandate to combat the drug problem.

That was covered on Castanet and Global last week.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/323267/Downtown-safe-injection-site

and the response from DKA:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/323343/DKA-on-safe-injection-site

Mrmarvingardens likes this post.
lifegives
Board Meister

Liked in: 168 posts

Postby one wheel » Feb 4th, 2021, 6:16 pm

Wasn't there talk years ago suggesting to relocate the homeless away from downtown & so the shelters were built in Rutland & area that are wet facilities ?
Kelowna has recently built a shelter on Ellis St., renovated the Courier building on Doyle Ave. & is working on the Tree Brewing building on Richter St. all for the homeless & don't these have injection rooms ?

The idea should be to get people off drugs & we don't need another injection site ?

2 people like this post.
one wheel
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 1107 posts

Postby Mrmarvingardens » Feb 6th, 2021, 1:50 pm

The "housing" ie Tree Island and Courier building is not a project of City of Kelowna.
These are initiatives of the provincial government.
Likewise other buildings in town.
City council has done little to alleviate the homeless problem, unless you count the homeless "camps" with portable toilets and shipping containers for personal effects.
For as long as I remember, the city has constantly blamed "others" for the problem.
Recently, the mayor was complaining, "again" that the provincial government was not providing the monies from the speculation tax.He was also joined by liberal MLA Ben Stewart.
What was puzzling, I cannot find any evidence that the Speculation Tax proceeds were going to the cities, to build homeless housing.

holdin likes this post.
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby lifegives » Feb 6th, 2021, 4:59 pm

Mrmarvingardens wrote:The "housing" ie Tree Island and Courier building is not a project of City of Kelowna.
These are initiatives of the provincial government.
Likewise other buildings in town.
City council has done little to alleviate the homeless problem, unless you count the homeless "camps" with portable toilets and shipping containers for personal effects.
For as long as I remember, the city has constantly blamed "others" for the problem.
Recently, the mayor was complaining, "again" that the provincial government was not providing the monies from the speculation tax.He was also joined by liberal MLA Ben Stewart.
What was puzzling, I cannot find any evidence that the Speculation Tax proceeds were going to the cities, to build homeless housing.

The Spec Tax is not going to build homeless shelters but it is getting directed towards initiatives that would help build affordable housing.

Scrobins94 likes this post.
lifegives
Board Meister

Postby Mrmarvingardens » Feb 6th, 2021, 9:35 pm

You know that and I know that.."
BUT, the mayor specifically said."if we don't get this(speculation tax money"we will have more homeless people on Leon Avenue".
The city finally decided to do something about the homeless on Leon Avenue after the fire department was called to extinguish a fire in one of the tents.
Earlier, they blamed the Gospel Mission for the problem, and attempted to coax it to move with an offer of money.
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby lifegives » Feb 7th, 2021, 10:28 am

Mrmarvingardens wrote:You know that and I know that.."
BUT, the mayor specifically said."if we don't get this(speculation tax money"we will have more homeless people on Leon Avenue".
The city finally decided to do something about the homeless on Leon Avenue after the fire department was called to extinguish a fire in one of the tents.
Earlier, they blamed the Gospel Mission for the problem, and attempted to coax it to move with an offer of money.

If we don't have affordable housing more people will get pushed onto the streets, hence the "more homeless" term.

I agree that the City hasn't done enough, didn't start soon enough etc.

wanderer likes this post.
lifegives
Board Meister

Previous

Return to Central Okanagan