Where is the tallest tree in Kelowna?

Re: Where is the tallest tree in Kelowna?

Postby Queen K » Feb 5th, 2021, 7:38 am

featfan wrote:I was asked if I wanted the info to find pinecones.

If I had a blueberry farm, or quite a few fruit bearing acidsoil loving plants, I'd want the pine information for the needles.
The acid loving plants need the needles to be used as mulch so they can break down right around the plants.
Stay tuned for another episode of "Terrified of Trump's Base."
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 20997 posts

Postby GordonH » Feb 5th, 2021, 7:50 am

If someone is willing to drive around after purchasing a similar item to this https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Approach- ... NrPXRydWU=

To measure each of taller trees in Kelowna, we would eventually learn which is the tallest... I suspect the person would have to be pretty damn bored to do this though. :biggrin:
“Be water my friend”.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”
― Bruce Lee
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Liked in: 12554 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby ranger49 » Feb 5th, 2021, 8:30 am

That London Plane at Dunnenzies is a beauty but I question their assessment on it's age. They say it's 185+ years old, (187?) but that just doesn't seem realistic. London Planes are not native and that seed would had to have been imported. If Father Pandosy first settled here in 1859. They claim that tree to be 20+ years older than the first european settlers to the valley. I doubt that someone was going around plant trees prior to 1859.
ranger49

Liked in: 33 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Feb 5th, 2021, 9:09 am

ranger49 wrote:That London Plane at Dunnenzies is a beauty but I question their assessment on it's age. They say it's 185+ years old, (187?) but that just doesn't seem realistic. London Planes are not native and that seed would had to have been imported. If Father Pandosy first settled here in 1859. They claim that tree to be 20+ years older than the first european settlers to the valley. I doubt that someone was going around plant trees prior to 1859.

Those trees also grow quite quickly compared to other species, at least as witnessed by the one in our yard.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown

2 people like this post.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 9629 posts

Postby cv23 » Feb 5th, 2021, 11:23 am

I doubt that someone was going around plant trees prior to 1859.

Yet there are millions of trees now and even more prior to 1859.
99.9% of trees, all species, were not "planted" by someone but rather grew from seeds often carried on the winds or transported by animal/bird hosts over great distances from one location to another where they germinated and grew. I don't know how many people have seen the millions, maybe tens of millions, of seeds a single tree of this size produces annually and just how small and ingeniously designed to be spread far and wide those seeds are. The larger and taller the tree the farther the seeds will travel each year and this repeats until the species of tree while not considered originally as native to a particular area become just as common as the native species due to a climate they can thrive in.
FYI the London Plane is a variety of Sycamore and native to the entire Northern Hemisphere

cyruslosco66 likes this post.
cv23
Guru

Liked in: 2522 posts

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Feb 5th, 2021, 5:18 pm

Settlers are people that stayed, others were here before them
I don't think that the age of the tree can be accurate, without at least boring in for a sample, so theyare just estimations. .
The pines in the picture I added, would both be from before that tree.
I think a lot of the trees we fell in Revelstoke area were I think at least 400 to 600 years old..
Note I looked at a tree calculator , they say more like 200 to 250 years old..
Note, at big cedars boardwalk near Revelstoke they say theyare up to 500 years or older..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3329 posts

Postby OKsells » Feb 9th, 2021, 4:54 am

There is a pretty big willow tree, (weeping willow?) hidden up in the creek between Finns, Fitzpatrick, Findlay and Stremel Roads. Google Street view: 811 Finns Rd and 1308 Findlay Rd.

voice of reason likes this post.
OKsells

Liked in: 7 posts

Postby CanuckFan » Feb 9th, 2021, 5:56 pm

That heritage tree list from the City? You'd think that the city would know that Cadder is an Avenue, not a Street.

bozos
CanuckFan
Fledgling

Liked in: 147 posts

Previous

Return to Central Okanagan