Snowbirds Squawking

Snowbird Poll

Postby luckyd » Feb 4th, 2021, 9:51 pm

We were snowbirds for many years but also wanted to expand our travels.
Due to Covid, we made the choice to stay home. As the "bug" progressed,
rules of travel changed, including loss of flights home.

As a snowbird, you are only allowed in the USA for 180 days/calendar year.
That is usually the fall and winter months, hence the name "snowbird".

Now the time is running out for many to be returning home and as we have already
experienced, voluntary self quaranteeing is non existant.

The government is looking at this to be mandatory for the first three days and
the cost will be yours, not the rest of the taxpayers.

To top it all off, .......if you paid taxes last year, you are given up to $500/person
as part of the recovery plan. No stipulation saying you cannot collect if you
were snowbirding. We also know that everyone is so honest that nobody will
try to cheat on getting this money.

Why should the taxpayers of Canada finance the people that left the country,
had lots of warnings about returning most of whom WILL NOT isolate for 14 days,
also have to pay for the hotel bill?

Yes, we wanted to travel this winter also. It was a different year for staying home.

5 people like this post.
luckyd

Liked in: 20 posts

Re: Snowbird Poll

Postby WheelWeaves » Feb 4th, 2021, 10:06 pm

If you can afford to travel for 6 months of the year, you can afford another potential 2 grand. No one made you travel, that's a life style you chose to live, you want your cake and to eat it too. Zero sympathy from me, no one forced you to travel to live your luxurious life style. Please, limit/hamper any chance of them bringing home or dropping off COVID or any of it's fancy variants.

It's a classic example of a First World Problem, complained about by the same people who genuinely couldn't decide if they want to buy the BMW 7 series or the Mercedes S class, and see it as an actual obstacle in their life.Whining and pleading to some pop up organization to make it sound like the argument holds more water than a thimble.

Makes me sick.

5 people like this post.
WheelWeaves
Fledgling

Liked in: 224 posts

Postby GordonH » Feb 4th, 2021, 10:17 pm

Knowing those planning on traveling to Canada (this includes our own snowbirds), need to have negative test to get on the plane to go (or to come back) Canada.
Then once on Canadian soil they need another negative test to leave airport hotel.
“Be water my friend”.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”
― Bruce Lee
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Liked in: 12554 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby OKkayak » Feb 5th, 2021, 12:25 am

The people complaining about the mandatory quarantine on returning to Canada are the same people who will travel into a known war zone or hurricane and then snivel and whine that they're "stranded" when flights get cancelled.

We're a year into this and we've seen restrictions, specifically in regards to travelling change on a moments notice :smt045
"Conspiracy Theories are a way for idiots to feel like intellectuals."

- David Baddiel

2 people like this post.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 18808 posts

Postby Smurf » Feb 5th, 2021, 9:08 am

Having travelled south as a snowbird for years I can say I do not feel one bit sorry for them. I do not agree that they are all rich people. We are far from rich and with careful living we actually spent very little. For many of the years we were down there our dollar was worth more than theirs and savings on everyday expenses like groceries, cloths, fuel, etc was surprisingly high. It was a case of watching your dollar and enjoying a good life as many of the snowbirds we knew down there did. Having said that we always had an emergency fund set aside to cover the unknown. We also had a line of credit ready for emergencies. I feel anyone who is caught short because of a possible $2,000.00 hotel room should never have gone in the first place. They should not even leave for 2 or 3 weeks without a backup plan.

I am 100% in favor of the restrictions and all I can say is "suck it up buttercup".
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

2 people like this post.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 7794 posts

Postby Ka-El » Feb 5th, 2021, 9:43 am

Smurf wrote:Having travelled south as a snowbird for years I can say I do not feel one bit sorry for them.

Not a snowbird but my wife and I have been travelling to different places in Mexico the last few winters to scout out different potential retirement locations (we will ultimately become ex-pats). Not making plans to travel there this winter was really a no-brainer. Not only do we have a responsibility to our own community, but putting people in our future host country at risk would have been real low class. I just don't understand the selfishness of some people.
Don't argue with idiot (or phony) trolls. They only want to drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience

Ka-El
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 10076 posts

Postby Septuagenarian » Feb 5th, 2021, 1:29 pm

We feel the very same about being responsible.

We've been on and off to Mexico, since 2007, and when we go back again it will be mainly to help out the people.

Also, as to responsibility, the last time we were with or grandkids in the States was December, 2019.

So when we saw the photos of a certain Alberta Government cabinet minister showing off her cleavage on a putting green in Hawaii . . . well that's how it is, eh?

"Some snowbirds still flying south despite new travel rules — because they can"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/snowbi ... -1.5901753
A green barbarian:

1. Lives a feral, eco-friendly and happy life—“Green Barbarians: How to Live Bravely on your Home Planet,” by Ellen Sandbeck.

2. Supports the young in their Great Reset for eco-justice—“The Immortal Hulk,” by Marvel Comics.

Smurf
normaM
likes this post.
Septuagenarian
Board Meister

Liked in: 113 posts

Postby jimmy4321 » Feb 5th, 2021, 1:46 pm

March 2020 we all should've known *bleep* was hitting the fan.Anyone with half a brain would know to staying home in Canada was the best thing.
The reality now is bad enough but the unknowns back in March with people being put on ventilators, seniors homes with many deaths - who in their right *bleep* 'n mind would go?
Last edited by jimmy4321 on Feb 5th, 2021, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bornhere63
Smurf
likes this post.
jimmy4321
Guru

Liked in: 3076 posts

Postby GordonH » Feb 5th, 2021, 1:47 pm

Septuagenarian wrote:We feel the very same about being responsible.

We've been on and off to Mexico, since 2007, and when we go back again it will be mainly to help out the people.

Also, as to responsibility, the last time we were with or grandkids in the States was December, 2019.

So when we saw the photos of a certain Alberta Government cabinet minister showing off her cleavage on a putting green in Hawaii . . . well that's how it is, eh?

"Some snowbirds still flying south despite new travel rules — because they can"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/snowbi ... -1.5901753

To me it appears 2 most popular areas for middle class have been essentially cutoff (Mexico and Caribbean). Meanwhile more expensive areas like southern US & Hawaii, Coastal areas of South America etc...etc are still available to travel to and back.
“Be water my friend”.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”
― Bruce Lee
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Postby Septuagenarian » Feb 5th, 2021, 2:13 pm

Yep. We're just thankful that our mutually thinking responsible little immigrant stateside family were part of the Canadian brain drain, and, with that, they don't live in the brainless 'we love you because of your brainless snowbird money' parts of the U.S.
Last edited by Septuagenarian on Feb 5th, 2021, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A green barbarian:

1. Lives a feral, eco-friendly and happy life—“Green Barbarians: How to Live Bravely on your Home Planet,” by Ellen Sandbeck.

2. Supports the young in their Great Reset for eco-justice—“The Immortal Hulk,” by Marvel Comics.
Septuagenarian
Board Meister

Postby TylerM4 » Feb 5th, 2021, 2:18 pm

They knew the risks, they chose to accept them, now they can accept the consequences.

This is another blight on our society - expectation that people will get bailed out when they make a gamble and lose.
TylerM4
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2657 posts

Postby Septuagenarian » Feb 5th, 2021, 2:25 pm

Lock 'em up! And make 'em pay! :biggrin:
A green barbarian:

Septuagenarian
Board Meister

Postby GordonH » Feb 5th, 2021, 3:45 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 6th, 2021, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
“Be water my friend”.
― Bruce Lee
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Postby Septuagenarian » Feb 5th, 2021, 4:16 pm

I agree with my favorite Conservative, Doug Ford. These are not enough. :biggrin:

"Travel restriction measures: COVID-19 program delivery"

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... strictions
A green barbarian:

Septuagenarian
Board Meister

Postby GordonH » Feb 5th, 2021, 4:25 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 6th, 2021, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
“Be water my friend”.
― Bruce Lee
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Next

Return to Central Okanagan