Snowbirds Squawking

Re: Snowbirds Squawking

Postby Fancy » Feb 8th, 2021, 12:39 pm

Keep in mind there are those that have dual citizenship and live in both countries. Everyone knew there was the expectation of changing rules as we've seen in other countries (at least I wasn't surprised) and they will have to follow along with what is required. It is what it is.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

69cutlass likes this post.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Liked in: 10796 posts

Postby W105 » Feb 8th, 2021, 12:42 pm

^^ yes, I have a Family member that has dual citizenship in another country...they didn't go there this yr because of the pandemic and of the fragile healthcare system they have there..

gardengirl likes this post.
W105
Guru

Liked in: 7531 posts

Postby 69cutlass » Feb 8th, 2021, 12:45 pm

W105 wrote:
69cutlass wrote:To them. Both are. Who are you to deside for them.

I don't get why you just can't understand that the rules/restrictions have changed for ALL of us..and yes, nobody likes them but it's not our decision to make whether we agree with them or not..travelling out of country this year was a risky thing to do..I know plenty of people who didn't go to their second home this yr because for one, they were very concerned that they would be stuck there for a longer period than they expected and for 2, they knew it wasn't right to burden another healthcare system where their vaca home is if they did get sick..

I do understand what you're saying 69Cutlass, but there just cannot be special rules/restrictions for certain people...that seems very unfair and I really don't think too many people would agree with it..

All I'm trying to point out is that going to live in their 2nd home is not the same as people going in a 2 week vacation. They isolate for 2 weeks upon arrival and will do the same when back here. The ones that go for a week or two have a higher chance of transmitting it as they don't isolate upon arrival or when they come home.

featfan likes this post.
69cutlass
Board Meister

Liked in: 624 posts

Postby Fancy » Feb 8th, 2021, 12:46 pm

Yet others went because their situation is better down there in the winter than here. Those snowbirds will have to deal with the changes when they come back. That's a given. The ones I know had no issues last year when they were to isolate and I would imagine they all will just deal with it again as they need to this year.
And I agree with 69cutlass - it's not like they are on vacation - they are living at their other home.

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Postby 69cutlass » Feb 8th, 2021, 12:51 pm

They can quarantine at home just as easily as at a forced hotel. And at home there isn't an out of pocket charge that they didn't agree to when they were allowed to go in the first place.

lesliepaul likes this post.
69cutlass
Board Meister

Postby W105 » Feb 8th, 2021, 12:51 pm

well my family member calls it their vacation home :)

normaM likes this post.
W105
Guru

Postby 69cutlass » Feb 8th, 2021, 12:55 pm

W105 wrote:well my family member calls it their vacation home :)

Well good for them. Most don't. It's just home. They have every right to be here or there. The rules changed to stop those from going on vacation. Not those that live in 2 places.

69cutlass
Board Meister

Postby cv23 » Feb 8th, 2021, 1:04 pm

it's not like they are on vacation - they are living at their other home.

Then they should have no issue staying put in their "home" where they feel "safe and comfortable" until the rules about entering Canada change for everyone and not expect the rules to be different just for them because they think they are in some way special or unique.

EVERYONE, citizen, resident, homeowner, etc, etc entering the country has to follow the rules or stay where they are.

2 people like this post.
cv23
Guru

Liked in: 2522 posts

Postby W105 » Feb 8th, 2021, 1:09 pm

69cutlass wrote:
W105 wrote:well my family member calls it their vacation home :)

Well good for them. Most don't. It's just home. They have every right to be here or there. The rules changed to stop those from going on vacation. Not those that live in 2 places.

we're not talking about poor homeless people here 69 Cutlass..we're talking about people whom have 2 homes to be able to live in ...that's a pretty nice luxury to have and maintain and good for them !! no doubt that they worked very hard to achieve it

but if they have to stay in "one" of their homes for a longer period or pay more to fly back to their "second" home because a pandemic happened when they left and got worse, then so be it..you are blessed to be able to have a safety net like this..

2 people like this post.
W105
Guru

Postby 69cutlass » Feb 8th, 2021, 1:13 pm

Most have pre arranged dates they come back on. So staying past sometimes isnt an option. Pre booked flights home have been canceled so getting home will be arduous when they do try. And direct flights are no more so making them catch connection after connection is just increasing chances. They based their decision on the regulations when they left. That is very different than those choosing to travel now.

69cutlass
Board Meister

Postby Fancy » Feb 8th, 2021, 1:15 pm

W105 wrote:we're not talking about poor homeless people here 69 Cutlass..we're talking about people whom have 2 homes to be able to live in ...that's a pretty nice luxury to have and maintain and good for them !! no doubt that they worked very hard to achieve it

but if they have to stay in "one" of their homes for a longer period or pay more to fly back to their "second" home because a pandemic happened when they left and got worse, then so be it..you are blessed to be able to have a safety net like this..

Some people live in trailers in both countries so not too sure what the "luxury" part is.

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Postby W105 » Feb 8th, 2021, 1:18 pm

Fancy wrote:
W105 wrote:we're not talking about poor homeless people here 69 Cutlass..we're talking about people whom have 2 homes to be able to live in ...that's a pretty nice luxury to have and maintain and good for them !! no doubt that they worked very hard to achieve it

Some people live in trailers in both countries so not too sure what the "luxury" part is.

the Weather obviously :)

normaM likes this post.
W105
Guru

Postby Fancy » Feb 8th, 2021, 1:19 pm

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Postby Fancy » Feb 8th, 2021, 1:19 pm

W105 wrote:the Weather obviously :)

I wouldn't call the weather a luxury for some as it is necessary for health reasons.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Postby alanjh595 » Feb 8th, 2021, 1:22 pm

This question remains the most frequently repeated of any we get, and the answer, the most misunderstood.

But it’s really not complicated if you keep in mind that the rules about how long you can stay in the U.S. are defined by the U.S. Government, not by Ottawa or the provinces. And the laws about how long you must live in your province each year to keep your health coverage are set by your province, not the U.S. Two sets of laws—quite separate.

So when you hear someone from Ontario or B.C. telling their neighbour that they can now stay in Arizona or Florida for seven months a year instead of six, be sure to set the record straight.

American immigration rules allow Canadians (citizens or legal permanent residents) to stay in the U.S. as visitors for up to six months in any consecutive 12-month period. These six months are sometimes interpreted as 180 days, 182 days, or simply as “six months”—which gives you some leeway depending on which months you pick. The reason for the difference is that immigration laws are hybrids, blended together over decades, and not always with great consistency. Consequently, we come to rely on written or declared “opinions” by Immigration, Customs, or Homeland Security officials who actually apply the rules. But these too are only opinions, although enforceable ones.

https://blog.ingleinternational.com/how ... h%20period.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7077 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan