Snowbirds Squawking

P65
Fledgling

Re: Snowbirds Squawking

Post by P65 »

I think it is irrelevant as to whether the snowbirds' homes are luxury ocean front mansions or trailers, whether they travel for health reasons or golf, whether they travel to be with family or just to get away.
Sh*t happens and sometimes you have advance notice and sometimes you don't.
When you travel aboard for whatever reasons you should be prepared for any eventuality. That includes ensuring you have enough money to get back if things really go sideways.
We are spoiled with life being pretty good for most Canadians, even when we travel. When it doesn't go according to plan, it isn't the government's job to make sure you get home again safe and sound without too much inconvenience or expense on your part.
This should always be the case, but with the current situation, people had more than enough notice and information to plan accordingly.
For many, they feel life should just go on as if nothing is amiss and seek support for their indignation that the government is expecting too much self reliance from Canadians traveling during a worldwide crisis.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

cv23 wrote:
Not the ones I know.
Are they whining about the cost to quarantine upon returning from their second home in the sun too, or is the whining confined to the self entitled couple this discussion is about?
Let them whine, if they went south despite being advised against doing so by the government.

Maybe they can set up a go fund me to have others pay for their bad decision.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Yet government officials are travelling.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Fancy wrote:Yet government officials are travelling.
They can afford the 2K for quarantine hotel. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Urban Cowboy wrote:Let them whine, if they went south despite being advised against doing so by the government.

Maybe they can set up a go fund me to have others pay for their bad decision.
cv23 is talking about different people than I am. They aren't whining.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Fancy wrote: cv23 is talking about different people than I am. They aren't whining.
You obviously missed this post
cv23 wrote: Are they whining about the cost to quarantine upon returning from their second home in the sun too, or is the whining confined to the self entitled couple this discussion is about?
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pieinthei »

every new restriction/rule that comes out rubs someone the wrong way.. now its time for the entitled free, i mean snowbirds to whine.. well whine away. you left during a pandemic, when all words to everyone is "stay home".. deal with it.
DoubleB12
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Snowbird Poll

Post by DoubleB12 »

alanjh595 wrote:
hobbyguy wrote: If you can afford a second home home in the US, then you can afford to pay for the quarantine/testing. You were told NOT to go. You went anyway. Your problem!

Actions and choices have consequences. Think ahead - you didn't.
What if they had that place for many years prior to COVID?

Like many others, including myself, ever thought that this would be as serious as it has become when they left (about September)

How many of us (even here on the Castanet forums) predicted that this would have NOT been over by now?
I have mentioned to friends countless times that once any sort of restriction was made whether is was the closure of business' or the use of masks that this will be the future. I can easily see this lasting 5-6 more years minimum and that is truly sad!! Your welcome Mr. Trudeau and Mr. Horgan
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I know a couple who went anyway ( even tho the family told them to stay put) I know they are whining.
Their plan was to tell the Govt they had no where else to live
" we rented out our home in Kelowna for the winter"
well guess they can use that rent income to pay for the hotel. And alas people don't just go directly home and stay there.. grocery run, pop by to see the grandkids, blah blah
Edit to add - I too have a Winter home, and a Spring home, and a Fall home and you guess it a Summer home
Sounds fancier when I call my one place the 4 Seasons
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
typhoon44
Übergod

Re: Snowbird Poll

Post by typhoon44 »

DoubleB12 wrote:
What if they had that place for many years prior to COVID?

Like many others, including myself, ever thought that this would be as serious as it has become when they left (about September)

How many of us (even here on the Castanet forums) predicted that this would have NOT been over by now?
I have mentioned to friends countless times that once any sort of restriction was made whether is was the closure of business' or the use of masks that this will be the future. I can easily see this lasting 5-6 more years minimum and that is truly sad!! Your welcome Mr. Trudeau and Mr. Horgan
Why are you blaming Trudeau and Horgan? Canada, and specifically BC's adherence to restrictions means we have fewer cases than most areas.
Lack of vaccines and an inability to adhere to restrictions has resulted in new strains. If these strains mutate sufficiently they can make the current vaccines less effective. If that happens we may need boosters every 1-2 years. If there are outbreaks of new strains then we will have to wear masks and distance.
This really is simple to understand.
P65
Fledgling

Post by P65 »

What have Horgan and Trudeau to do with this?
The update this afternoon of cases and deaths again specifically says the cases of the new variants are related to travel!
If government officials can be faulted for anything it is allowing travel from outside the country at all. And allowing travellers to land and get thru the airports without mandatory testing and quarantine.
Was not one of the reasons for the rapid rise in cases at the onset last year in Quebec and Ontario due to people returning from spring break travel? BC was spared at first because many cancelled their travel plans due to uncertainty last March.
To say no one ever expected it to get this bad back in Sept is ludicrous. This has been warned about for months!
typhoon44
Übergod

Post by typhoon44 »

P65 wrote:What have Horgan and Trudeau to do with this?
The update this afternoon of cases and deaths again specifically says the cases of the new variants are related to travel!
If government officials can be faulted for anything it is allowing travel from outside the country at all. And allowing travellers to land and get thru the airports without mandatory testing and quarantine.
Was not one of the reasons for the rapid rise in cases at the onset last year in Quebec and Ontario due to people returning from spring break travel? BC was spared at first because many cancelled their travel plans due to uncertainty last March.
To say no one ever expected it to get this bad back in Sept is ludicrous. This has been warned about for months!
So you think we can close our borders and keep the variants out?
We have 6M essential border crossings with the US without quarantine. They are essential because they bring critical produce and goods into Canada. I guess we could just starve.
The few thousand snowbirds aren't the problem.
CanuckFan
Fledgling

Post by CanuckFan »

It is not self-righteous jealousy when those of us who follow the rules, also expect others to do so.

Some Snowbirds like to whine and complain about how they can quarantine at home, but we all know that not all do. They just don't follow the rules. They (the bad ones) say, "I feel fine, I'll just do this or that."

Those who travelled last winter, should have known what to expect, or at least think about, the fact that something might happen this winter.

When I was at the lottery booth last year (when all people had been told to come home, and self-isolate for 14 days with no stops), the clerk told me that they had several couples returning from the US / Mexico who were 'just stopping to grab some tickets on their way home' - like it was essential or something. Jerks - they'd already been told to go straight home and have others get your groceries, etc.

There were also several news stories about those driving across the border into Ontario, stopping at one border town to fill up with groceries and booze, and putting everyone there at risk, for their own selfish reasons, or laziness.
P65
Fledgling

Post by P65 »

Essential border crossings to deliver goods into Canada aren’t making news about being problematic.
Flights from overseas with passengers then moving out into the community are.
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

Anyone know if the snowbirds have gone back home? Now, that winter is over and spring is here?
I guess if they are pulling their 5th wheel, the Police can pull them over and check to make sure they are travelling for essential purposes.

Return to “Central Okanagan”