Snowbirds Squawking

Re: Snowbirds Squawking

Postby Mrmarvingardens » Feb 8th, 2021, 1:23 pm

The whiners that travel south to their "vacation home" as they like to call it ignore one important thing:
The dwelling is in a foreign country,with a border.
They are subject to a whole different set of rules that would not apply if the home was in Canada.
In this case, travel rules were implemented by Canada because a few decided to ruin it for the many.
What would they say, if the rules were implemented by the U.S?
Countries world wide have borders and restrict travel in, and out.
Even more so during the Covid Pandemic.
What is upsetting to many, myself included is these "fair weather travelers" leave their homes, but make sure they only stay away long enough (180 days) so as not to affect their entitlements to our many Canadian benefits, such as health care, and of course the pension benefits that are deposited in their mailbox while they are away.
Don't forget ,they also contribute zero to this countries economy while they are away.

2 people like this post.
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby cv23 » Feb 8th, 2021, 1:27 pm

69cutlass wrote:Most have pre arranged dates they come back on. So staying past sometimes isnt an option. Pre booked flights home have been canceled so getting home will be arduous when they do try. And direct flights are no more so making them catch connection after connection is just increasing chances. They based their decision on the regulations when they left. That is very different than those choosing to travel now.

The rules changed due a world wide health crisis that effects every person on the planet but for some reason shouldn't effect them because they are the most special unique people on this entire planet. I bet they think that the current mask rules won't apply to them as they came into effect while they were away.

Suck it up Buttercup just like everyone on this big world is doing right now because it's not about a single person's own personal wants or needs but rather the health needs of every human.

3 people like this post.
cv23
Guru

Liked in: 2522 posts

Postby cv23 » Feb 8th, 2021, 1:28 pm

I wouldn't call the weather a luxury for some as it is necessary for health reasons.

Yet they want to return to -20c weather here, obviously for health reasons. [icon_lol2.gif]

The snowbirds in question have never mentioned any health concerns only monetary ones. This coming from a couple who can afford to not only own but also maintain two homes in different countries in a time when the average person is having trouble just affording their rent each month.
Last edited by cv23 on Feb 8th, 2021, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4 people like this post.
cv23
Guru

Postby alanjh595 » Feb 8th, 2021, 1:36 pm

cv23 wrote:
I wouldn't call the weather a luxury for some as it is necessary for health reasons.

Yet they want to return to -20c weather here, obviously for health reasons.

Or perhaps, they were hoping that the pandemic would be over by now and overstayed their visa while waiting?

My neighbour was brought back by "private Life flight", after being diagnosed with Leukemia, he died within a month of his return.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

69cutlass likes this post.
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7077 posts

Postby W105 » Feb 8th, 2021, 1:43 pm

cv23 wrote:

Yet they want to return to -20c weather here, obviously for health reasons. [icon_lol2.gif]

I know CV..too funny [icon_lol2.gif]
W105
Guru

Liked in: 7531 posts

Postby Fancy » Feb 8th, 2021, 1:45 pm

Not the ones I know.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Liked in: 10796 posts

Postby cv23 » Feb 8th, 2021, 1:49 pm

Not the ones I know.

Are they whining about the cost to quarantine upon returning from their second home in the sun too, or is the whining confined to the self entitled couple this discussion is about?
cv23
Guru

Postby Fancy » Feb 8th, 2021, 1:58 pm

cv23 wrote:Yet they want to return to -20c weather here, obviously for health reasons. [icon_lol2.gif]

The snowbirds in question have never mentioned any health concerns only monetary ones. This coming from a couple who can afford to not only own but also maintain two homes in different countries in a time when the average person is having trouble just affording their rent each month.

I didn't mention the couple in question - responding to other remarks and about the people that I know. So not sure why the lol.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Postby P65 » Feb 8th, 2021, 2:11 pm

I think it is irrelevant as to whether the snowbirds' homes are luxury ocean front mansions or trailers, whether they travel for health reasons or golf, whether they travel to be with family or just to get away.
Sh*t happens and sometimes you have advance notice and sometimes you don't.
When you travel aboard for whatever reasons you should be prepared for any eventuality. That includes ensuring you have enough money to get back if things really go sideways.
We are spoiled with life being pretty good for most Canadians, even when we travel. When it doesn't go according to plan, it isn't the government's job to make sure you get home again safe and sound without too much inconvenience or expense on your part.
This should always be the case, but with the current situation, people had more than enough notice and information to plan accordingly.
For many, they feel life should just go on as if nothing is amiss and seek support for their indignation that the government is expecting too much self reliance from Canadians traveling during a worldwide crisis.

Mrmarvingardens likes this post.
P65
Fledgling

Liked in: 203 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Feb 8th, 2021, 2:21 pm

cv23 wrote:
Not the ones I know.

Are they whining about the cost to quarantine upon returning from their second home in the sun too, or is the whining confined to the self entitled couple this discussion is about?

Let them whine, if they went south despite being advised against doing so by the government.

Maybe they can set up a go fund me to have others pay for their bad decision.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 9629 posts

Postby Fancy » Feb 8th, 2021, 2:26 pm

Yet government officials are travelling.

DoubleB12 likes this post.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Postby Urban Cowboy » Feb 8th, 2021, 2:28 pm

Fancy wrote:Yet government officials are travelling.

They can afford the 2K for quarantine hotel. :biggrin:
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown

DoubleB12 likes this post.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 9629 posts

Postby Fancy » Feb 8th, 2021, 2:34 pm

Urban Cowboy wrote:Let them whine, if they went south despite being advised against doing so by the government.

Maybe they can set up a go fund me to have others pay for their bad decision.

cv23 is talking about different people than I am. They aren't whining.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Postby cv23 » Feb 8th, 2021, 2:39 pm

Fancy wrote:cv23 is talking about different people than I am. They aren't whining.

You obviously missed this post
cv23 wrote:Are they whining about the cost to quarantine upon returning from their second home in the sun too, or is the whining confined to the self entitled couple this discussion is about?
cv23
Guru

Postby Septuagenarian » Feb 8th, 2021, 2:53 pm

The latest.

"A breakdown of Canada's isolation sites as details are revealed on hotel requirements"

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/a ... d=msedgdhp
A green barbarian:

1. Lives a feral, eco-friendly and happy life—“Green Barbarians: How to Live Bravely on your Home Planet,” by Ellen Sandbeck.

2. Supports the young in their Great Reset for eco-justice—“The Immortal Hulk,” by Marvel Comics.
Septuagenarian
Board Meister

Liked in: 113 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan