Heritage Committee In Flux

Heritage Committee In Flux

Postby lensbaby » Feb 8th, 2021, 9:26 pm

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... -committee

"One possibility is an expanded role for the HAC which would include setting policy.
Coun. Brad Sieben took issue with that idea, suggesting the HAC is comprised of regular citizens, and not professionals."

But isn't City Council also just comprised of regular citizens - including Brad Sieben. Being elected to council surely doesn't suddenly make one a professional!

4 people like this post.
lensbaby
Fledgling

Liked in: 201 posts

Re: Heritage Committee In Flux

Postby Scrobins94 » Feb 9th, 2021, 8:41 am

I agree with him. I don't want a regular monkey with no qualifications setting up policy or influencing decisions based on personal agenda.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 598 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Feb 9th, 2021, 9:45 am

See, here's the deal tho = City councilors don't actually create the policies. They just advocate for, and vote for them.

Cities have professional staff who draft up the policies and provide advice/recommendations to city council including legal advice. This committee wouldn't have that. You'd essentially have a bunch of special interest folks setting policy that impacts the entire city. It's this type of thing that results in every street getting fancy painted bike lanes while sidewalks along school routes are ignored.

I agree - it's a bad idea.
TylerM4
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2657 posts

Postby cv23 » Feb 9th, 2021, 11:03 am

I agree with him. I don't want a regular monkey with no qualifications setting up policy or influencing decisions based on personal agenda.

And the City Councilors who actually do establish policy have exactly what necessary qualifications to make policy and no personal agendas when it comes to policy ???????
How many times have we heard a Councilor say "I'm against or for the idea because I.... "? Not "the public I'm here to represent" is for or against but just that they personally are for or against.
The Old Grey Mayor came out of retirement just so he could get Milroy's highly controversial tower approved then quickly retired again. If that's not setting policy by personal agenda by City Council then what is?

4 people like this post.
cv23
Guru

Liked in: 2522 posts

Postby cv23 » Feb 9th, 2021, 11:11 am

TylerM4 wrote:See, here's the deal tho = City councilors don't actually create the policies. They just advocate for, and vote for them.

And their vote is what establishes/enacts the policies . So yes Council does establish policies and not a single Councilor holds any degrees or other qualifications in Civic planning. Council members are exactly "the regular monkeys with no qualifications" people don't want making policy.

3 people like this post.
cv23
Guru

Postby TylerM4 » Feb 9th, 2021, 11:31 am

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 9th, 2021, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal.
TylerM4
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2657 posts

Postby cv23 » Feb 9th, 2021, 12:01 pm

The A in HAC seems to have been missed by many including Councilor Brad Sieben. It should be noted that HAC meetings are held at City Hall with multiple City Staff and usually highly qualified advisors in attendance to provide input just as a City Council meeting is held. The only difference between HAC members and City Council members is that the City Councilors won a popularity contest.
At this time the HAC has no power to set policy and there is only a possibility that they ever would. That possibility would of course have to be approved by Council aka "regular monkeys with no qualifications", a group with even less qualifications in civics than the HAC. Seeing such a decision would result in a partial loss of power by those voting on it the chances of it ever happening are less than zero.
The whole idea of giving the HAC any real power is just another feeble excuse by the present developer friendly Council in seeing Kelowna not take an active role in preservation of our local heritage. Just how many cities presently let their HAC set policy?
cv23
Guru

Postby Catri » Feb 9th, 2021, 12:25 pm

Wait...there's a Heritage Advisory Committee?! You'd never know it by the complete and utter disregard the City of Kelowna has shown for preserving any heritage buildings, ever. Mr. Sieben's probably right, you don't want to give people who might actually care about preserving things the power to make people who don't give a fart about preserving anything, preserve things. The photo accompanying the article illustrates exactly how Kelowna likes to preserve it's heritage buildings.

5 people like this post.
Catri
√úbergod

Liked in: 1564 posts

Return to Central Okanagan