Who makes development decisions in Kelowna

cv23
Guru

Re: Who makes development decisions in Kelowna

Post by cv23 »

The OCP has become quite a joke as well a waste of time and money. The goal of seeing the community grow as the citizens envision it to has been lost to the vision outside developers have for our community that maximizes their individual profits.

There is no reason a plan can't change but the eventual goal should remain the same or very close to it or it is no longer a plan but rather a bunch of random decisions made with no clear final goal in mind.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

cv23 wrote:The OCP has become quite a joke as well a waste of time and money. The goal of seeing the community grow as the citizens envision it to has been lost to the vision outside developers have for our community that maximizes their individual profits.

There is no reason a plan can't change but the eventual goal should remain the same or very close to it or it is no longer a plan but rather a bunch of random decisions made with no clear final goal in mind.
Can you give a few examples of this? What developments are being approved that don't fit within the context of the OCP?

I for example, have seen the opposite. CoK stood up to developers behind costco and the public backlash when they wouldn't let them build the new location near the airport. Because it was against the OCP which stated development in the area was to support the aviation industry. I also look at the Benvolin corridor - Developers have been drooling over the area for 20 years yet CoK has been standing firm and saying no. The most recent example being the backlash over the gas station that wasn't allowed.

I do see them looking at things like taller towers than the OCP envisioned...in areas where OCP had indicated high density. But have not seen examples of "this area was intended as low density residential, but CoK just approved a high density development, etc." So.. I have seen what I'd say was development pushing the boundaries, but not a lot of evidence of developments that are flat out contrary to OCP.

Surely with that strong wording, and claims of OCP "being a joke" you can share some good examples of approved developments that went against the OCP?
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Approving height variances not by 10 or 20% but rather almost 400% is contrary and ignoring the OCP.
Changing the zoning from Ru1 (single family) to Ru7 (4plexes) is contrary to the OCP.
Changing designated park space to commercial/high density is contrary to the OCP.
Changing agricultural land to commercial (Costco) is contrary to the OCP
The list goes on and on and on.

Why waste time and money on an Official Community Plan when that plan is ignored in favor of private interest financial profits not the communities best interests and expressed desires for its future? Council continuously ignores the OCP so why not eliminate it and save the time and money wasted on an OCP that's not being followed and spend the funds on something else?
The plan may adjust slightly over time but the plan was drawn up to achieve a goal the community has set for itself. Without following a plan a goal is seldom, if ever reached. Like a current TV commercial says about achieving goals, "Hoping is not a good plan".
Last edited by cv23 on Feb 13th, 2021, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

How long ago did they come up with the ocp? Things change a thirty year old ocp isnt going to work out very well now, changes were needed and have been made deal with it or move on.
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

How long ago did they come up with the ocp?
The OCP is regularly updated with the current plan being officially adopted in 2018, just 3 years ago.
Have the communities goals changed that much in 3 short years?

COK wrote:Bylaw No.:10500
The purpose of the Official Community Plan (OCP) is to provide a statement of objectives and policies to guide planning and land use management within the boundaries of the City of Kelowna.
Again, without a long term plan the communities goals won't ever be achieved.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

cv23 wrote:Approving height variances not by 10 or 20% but rather almost 400% is contrary and ignoring the OCP.
Changing the zoning from Ru1 (single family) to Ru7 (4plexes) is contrary to the OCP.
Changing designated park space to commercial/high density is contrary to the OCP.
Changing agricultural land to commercial (Costco) is contrary to the OCP
The list goes on and on and on.

Why waste time and money on an Official Community Plan when that plan is ignored in favor of private interest financial profits not the communities best interests and expressed desires for its future? Council continuously ignores the OCP so why not eliminate it and save the time and money wasted on an OCP that's not being followed and spend the funds on something else?
The plan may adjust slightly over time but the plan was drawn up to achieve a goal the community has set for itself. Without following a plan a goal is seldom, if ever reached. Like a current TV commercial says about achieving goals, "Hoping is not a good plan".
The Costco land was not agricultural in the OCP. That is current zoning. OCP is MRH as I recall.
Your list may or may not be accurate as it is highly general. RU1 to RU7 is a societal planning issue I feel increasing density near urban cores and it makes sense from a planning standpoint. How were all of those parcels designate in the OCP?
I think you may be confusing current zoning with future land use designation in the OCP.
You and 71 others Like this post
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

The Costco land was not agricultural in the OCP. That is current zoning. OCP is MRH as I recall. ....I think you may be confusing current zoning with future land use designation in the OCP.
Sometimes recollections can confuse people.
According the COK website the future land future land designation in the current OCP for both the future Costco property and the property that Bristol Gardens currently occupy are both designated as agricultural. Seeing as City Hall already ignored the OCP when approving the Bristol Gardens it is no surprise they would also do so in rezoning the future Costco property to commercial, not MRH.

Again why have an OCP that isn't even closely followed? Scrap it and put the money to another use that might actually benefit the community in some way because the OCP isn't
Last edited by cv23 on Feb 13th, 2021, 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Mrmarvingardens wrote:Which reminds me of a saying that circulated around the city a while back.
"Council only knows what we are prepared to tell them"......city staff.
Why I agree that members of councils can't know everything, it is disturbing to hear them make decisions without asking important questions, or refer proposals back to staff for clarification.
The development community build illegal structures without penalty, request and receive variances to projects that border on the ridiculous with no pushback.
At present, we have terrible cheaply designed buildings, helped in part by the disbanding of the design committee that advised council and staff, of course after complaints from developers.
The mayor has private meetings with developers, again no pushback.
Many governments, at all levels are using the public preoccupation of Covid to make controversial decisions, that unfortunately go unnoticed.
Kelowna is especially bad in this area because elected official decisions more often are never reported.
(With 6 radio stations and 1 t.v. station, not one have a reporter at city hall)
I was struck by the comment of "cheaply designed buildings" we are obliged to build to a provincial building code administered by the city of Kelowna. When an architect and his client agree on a design that meets the code and is aesthetically to both, it should not be up to a design panel with their "opinions". This is overreach. If it were up to some people then all buildings would look the same. Remember when pink exteriors were all the rage?
Waste not
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

cv23 wrote:
The Costco land was not agricultural in the OCP. That is current zoning. OCP is MRH as I recall. ....I think you may be confusing current zoning with future land use designation in the OCP.
Sometimes recollections can confuse people.
According the COK website the future land future land designation in the current OCP for both the future Costco property and the property that Bristol Gardens currently occupy are both designated as agricultural. Seeing as City Hall already ignored the OCP when approving the Bristol Gardens it is no surprise they would also do so in rezoning the future Costco property to commercial, not MRH.

Again why have an OCP that isn't even closely followed? Scrap it and put the money to another use that might actually benefit the community in some way because the OCP isn't
This is off the COK website for future land use and current zoning as of this instant.

You’re right, recollections can be wrong, as it is MRH and MRM. However, both of those are a far way off from agricultural as future land use.
085594E7-03C6-41C1-A15A-FF5A4A9F5090.jpeg
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

LANDM wrote:This is off the COK website for future land use and current zoning as of this instant.
LANDM wrote: I think you may be confusing current zoning with future land use designation in the OCP.
Agricultural or MRM (Multi Unit Restidential medium density) a large box retailer Commercial(COMM) business like Costco hardly fits either so once again the OCP is ignored by Council.
Scrap the OCP and spend the resources on something that benefits the community like actually completing some of the parks the City has already acquired land for. Or maybe a community aquatic center for City Park that would attract families and visitors thus displacing the current occupants? There are lots of things this community needs more than a plan our supposed leaders are ignoring just so they can assist an out of town developer in making a killing at the communities expense.
Last edited by cv23 on Feb 14th, 2021, 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

cv23 wrote:
LANDM wrote:This is off the COK website for future land use and current zoning as of this instant.
LANDM wrote: I think you may be confusing current zoning with future land use designation in the OCP.
Agricultural or MRM (Multi Unit Restidential medium density) a large box retailer Commercial(COMM) business like Costco hardly fits either so once again the OCP is ignored by Council.
Scrap the OCP and spend the resources on something that benefits the community like actually completing some of the parks the City has already acquired land for. Or maybe a community aquatic center for City Park that would attract families and visitors thus displacing the current occupants? There are lots of things this community needs more than a plan our supposed leaders are ignoring just so they can assist an out of town developer in making a killing at the communities expense.
The reality is that it was not agricultural in the OCP so the change from multi unit or medium density residential to commercial is a very different move than agricultural to commercial. The OCP wasn’t ignored, it was amended after consideration of the pros and cons. By people both hired and elected to consider these matters.
There are many times an amendment is refused.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

The OCP wasn’t ignored, it was amended after consideration of the pros and cons.
Whether it be amended, ignored, changed, variances granted, etc, etc makes no difference. The Official Community Plan was not followed so the goals of the Official Community Plan will never be met at that location and in so many other locations within the community that they render the plan worthless.
The people, both hired and elected to consider these matters are the very same people who officially adopted the Official Community Plan. Were they not considering such matters when they officially adopted the OCP for this communities future less than a short 3 years ago or when they amended, ignored, change it shortly afterward? Either way there is no need for a plan that isn't followed within such a short time of being officially adopted or the community needs to examine the retention of the people changing theirs minds so shortly after officially adopting the plan for the communities future. No great loss in either or both as the goals expressed by the public/community stakeholders for this communities future are not being met by either.

ETA; Isn't the future Costco property owned by Bennetts?
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

Future Costco property is owned by the Bennetts under the name Victor Projects.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

cv23 wrote:
The OCP wasn’t ignored, it was amended after consideration of the pros and cons.
Whether it be amended, ignored, changed, variances granted, etc, etc makes no difference. The Official Community Plan was not followed so the goals of the Official Community Plan will never be met at that location and in so many other locations within the community that they render the plan worthless.
The people, both hired and elected to consider these matters are the very same people who officially adopted the Official Community Plan. Were they not considering such matters when they officially adopted the OCP for this communities future less than a short 3 years ago or when they amended, ignored, change it shortly afterward? Either way there is no need for a plan that isn't followed within such a short time of being officially adopted or the community needs to examine the retention of the people changing theirs minds so shortly after officially adopting the plan for the communities future. No great loss in either or both as the goals expressed by the public/community stakeholders for this communities future are not being met by either.

ETA; Isn't the future Costco property owned by Bennetts?
Lots of nice bolding that reinforces what it is. A plan that tries to forecast the best needs of the community years in advance. Nobody can accurately forecast every need ahead of time. That is why there are specific allowances for amendment proposals and, to be accurate, they are NOT streamlined. It is an arduous process and they are thoughtfully considered.

Also, from COK
The 2040 OCP update will primarily update land uses, mapping and policies to reflect the community’s vision (as captured through Imagine Kelowna) and to clearly signal where development will be prioritized and supported with infrastructure and amenities. The OCP provides a policy framework for Council by addressing issues such as housing, transportation, infrastructure, parks, economic development and the natural and social environment.
It reflects the community's vision and "signals" where development will be prioritized and supported.
Nowhere is it cast in stone, nor should it be.

Do your strong feelings on it mean that you are highly involved in the current iteration of the OCP update? Often, people who sit back and complain that something is being done wrong are not aware of the ability of the public to be involved. :up:

Finally, it is literally the only piece in that general area that could work. Does it matter who owns it? It is up to Costco to do the required rezoning and OCP amendments, not the owner.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Like many long time Kelowna resident I have been involved in providing input to not just the upcoming edition of the OCP but also provided input on previous OCP's. I often attend Council meetings and have not only spoken but provided written input on matters which I feel are important to the community. I have witnessed Council disregard the public's input on so many items over the years that I'm frankly disgusted. This will be the last OCP I provide input on as my input and the input every other citizen who cares about this community and takes the time to give input on is treated with nothing more than lip service. We provide input and it is clearly recognized in formulating an OCP but the problem is that is a far as anything goes. Our input and the long term plan it helps create for this community is regularly ignored by Council in favour of private profits.
COK wrote:The 2040 OCP update will primarily update land uses, mapping and policies to reflect the community’s vision (as captured through Imagine Kelowna) and to clearly signal where development will be prioritized and supported with infrastructure and amenities. The OCP provides a policy framework for Council by addressing issues such as housing, transportation, infrastructure, parks, economic development and the natural and social environment.
What good is providing Council with not only the community's vision but also a framework of that vision to follow if both are continuously ignored and disregarded. Nearly 14,000 citizens stepped up and told Council their opinion about a particular matter last year and Council couldn't have cared less. Why should citizens continue bother providing input when that input falls on deaf ears?
Scrap the OCP as such a document is clearly no longer relevant in today's Kelowna. Put the effort and funds into something productive for the community . Let those who are profiting pay to draw a plan as they will get their way anyway.
Finally, it is literally the only piece in that general area that could work. Does it matter who owns it? It is up to Costco to do the required rezoning and OCP amendments, not the owner.
It certainly does matter who owns the future Costco property as they stand to financially profit the most from Council rezoning the property. Why does Costco have to be located in that particular area? Not because the citizens said so but clearly because Costco (or maybe Bennett's) said so. There are lots of other parcels of land available in Kelowna, some already with appropriate zoning or future land use designation so why this particular piece of property? Costco showed interest in moving as far as to the Westside so why was this particular area and this particular piece of property so important, and so important to exactly who? There are lots of late comer out of towners like Milroy who have influenced Council in order to shape Kelowna to maximize their personal profits but the Old Boys Club still has a place at the table.

Return to “Central Okanagan”