Customer donations at checkout

Re: Customer donations at checkout

Postby OldIslander » Feb 16th, 2021, 12:49 pm

my5cents wrote:However the lowest I ever experienced was an employer. At the place I worked my group was told we had to attend a meeting about the United Way. A senior supervisor, who would be my boss's, boss's, boss's. Gave a talk on payroll deductions for the United Way. There was a push on for employers to have the highest donating employees.

The company I retired from had the same relationship with the United Way. It was a thriving high-tech company with above-average salaries per employee, so fertile ground for harvesting payroll deduction doners. Each year, they would bring in local media celebrities and politicians to give us pep talks -- people we saw on TV every night.

I did it -- signed up for United Way payroll deduction. In fact, the company had 100% participation. You could direct where you wanted it to go in the community. The United Way had an excellent track record of how much of the donations were actually spent vs deducted for admin costs. But the best thing about it -- when approached by the myriad of other agencies with their hands out for donations, I could simply say, I do payroll deductions for the 'United Way'. End of pitch.
"Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other."
OldIslander
Board Meister

Liked in: 618 posts

Postby my5cents » Feb 16th, 2021, 2:28 pm

OldIslander wrote:The company I retired from had the same relationship with the United Way. It was a thriving high-tech company with above-average salaries per employee, so fertile ground for harvesting payroll deduction doners. Each year, they would bring in local media celebrities and politicians to give us pep talks -- people we saw on TV every night.

I did it -- signed up for United Way payroll deduction. In fact, the company had 100% participation. You could direct where you wanted it to go in the community. The United Way had an excellent track record of how much of the donations were actually spent vs deducted for admin costs. But the best thing about it -- when approached by the myriad of other agencies with their hands out for donations, I could simply say, I do payroll deductions for the 'United Way'. End of pitch.

In my case the person giving the talk and personally being handed each form was capable to affect my career. Oh, ya, the old "you can direct which charity you want or don't want you donation to go to." The money goes into a pool, it's not like they reduce the amount they are giving to the charity you didn't support by a portion of your donation. That was one of the lies that completely turned me off the United Way.

Here's a link from United Way Thompson Nicola Cariboo addressing an email that was going around. It tells us that Brian Gallagher the CEO of the United Way Worldwide, "does not have a golf or yacht-club membership or any of the other outlandish perks stated in the email"..."His compensation is set by a Board of Trustees and is publicly available for those that wish to know" https://www.unitedwaytnc.ca/2015/09/mil ... -salaries/

"Funny" the United Way site told us what Gallagher didn't get, but didn't tell us his salary.

So, I did "wish to know". https://www.charitywatch.org/top-charity-salaries

- Brian Gallagher - United Way Worldwide (Fiscal year ending Dec 31, 2019..... $1,578,515. (includes $630,170 bonus & incentives and $353,263 retirement and deferred compensation)

I'd say $1,578,515 is an "outlandish perk"
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Guru

Liked in: 2928 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Feb 16th, 2021, 4:28 pm

Many years ago, I decided that I would never give another dime to any charity other than the Vet's Poppy Campaign.

The first few years it was difficult to say NO to every worthwhile charity that I crossed paths with. I felt bad, I really did. But those feelings passed, and now I have no issue saying NO.

I will donate, but if you ask for it, the answer is NO.

I will carefully consider the charity, when I am at home, carefully, and with research, before I would give even a dime.

If you have a TV or radio ad.......NO
Paid buskers........NO
Junk mail in my box........NO
High paid executive boards for "non-profit" ........NEVER
Money for other countries........Forget about it.
Environut's causes........Don't even think about it.
Drug addicted/homeless........NO way.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

4 people like this post.
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7077 posts

Postby Ken7 » Feb 17th, 2021, 4:56 pm

Catri wrote:I also never donate at the till, over the phone, or at my front door. I think it's important, if you choose to donate to charity, to know what exactly you're supporting and to have a rough idea how those funds are actually spent. On the other hand, if people who would not otherwise contribute anything to charity will do so when asked at the till, I suppose that's not a bad thing either. It does get a bit much when it seems like every grocery transaction includes a solicitation for a donation.

You're totally correct on it!!

Many charities the larger portion goes towards administrative fees and staffing. There used to be a web page where they showed a break down.

Urban Cowboy likes this post.
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 4353 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Feb 17th, 2021, 5:14 pm

I went to withdraw some cash from my bank machine this morning, and low and behold, the machine asked me if I wanted to donate.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

BigBadBen likes this post.
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7077 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Feb 18th, 2021, 11:55 am

alanjh595 wrote:I went to withdraw some cash from my bank machine this morning, and low and behold, the machine asked me if I wanted to donate.

:cuss:
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown

Carrs Landing Viking likes this post.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 9629 posts

Postby 2manyfords » Feb 18th, 2021, 11:58 am

alanjh595 wrote:I went to withdraw some cash from my bank machine this morning, and low and behold, the machine asked me if I wanted to donate.

Sure...you could have donated to your account...How easy is that? :138:
Some people should just stay self isolated...
2manyfords
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 734 posts

Postby pieinthei » Feb 18th, 2021, 12:10 pm

wow! never heard of that.. maybe my bank knows i have nothing.. haha
:130:
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 981 posts

Previous

Return to Central Okanagan