Outsourcing Baloney

Re: Outsourcing Baloney

Postby Boosted632 » Feb 24th, 2021, 1:52 pm

OKkayak wrote:
Boosted632 wrote:Yup unskilled lazy dog *bleep* need jobs to lol
Useless lives matter

Do you have evidence that they're "unskilled" or "lazy dog *bleep*"?

Unionized, enuf said!
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
Boosted632
Übergod

Liked in: 1307 posts

Postby Boosted632 » Feb 24th, 2021, 1:54 pm

Catri wrote:
Boosted632 wrote:Sounds like unionized labor pricing themselves out of work yet again, oh well even steven is right soon they will be nothing but a memory

Yeah, those crazy unionists expecting to make more than the pennies a day that offshore workers get doing the same job. If you seriously think that cab dispatchers are living high on the hog you need to give your head a shake.

If you think they're making pennies a day you should give your head a shake, much more than minimum wage would be overpaid
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
Boosted632
Übergod

Liked in: 1307 posts

Postby common_sense_guy » Feb 24th, 2021, 2:17 pm

Catri wrote:
Boosted632 wrote:Sounds like unionized labor pricing themselves out of work yet again, oh well even steven is right soon they will be nothing but a memory

Yeah, those crazy unionists expecting to make more than the pennies a day that offshore workers get doing the same job. If you seriously think that cab dispatchers are living high on the hog you need to give your head a shake.

Why should they be living high on the hog when their job can be done by a majority of people. That is essentially an unskilled job in my opinion. The more skilled you are at your job the more you should be making. So the less skilled you are the less you should be making. That's how Society works
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.

Boosted632 likes this post.
common_sense_guy
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 987 posts

Postby Jonrox » Feb 24th, 2021, 2:36 pm

People actually still call to book a taxi? It's so much easier to just use an app. These jobs were destined to go away because technology can do the job just as well... if not better.

2 people like this post.
Jonrox
Guru

Liked in: 4611 posts

Postby lifegives » Feb 24th, 2021, 3:20 pm

common_sense_guy wrote:(snip)...
If you owned a company wouldn't your goal for the most part to be turning a profit? Otherwise why would you have gotten into the business if not to make a living.

And right there is the problem with most free-market enterprise today, only beholden to the almighty dollar. What determines enough profit? It's like the rental market, when everyone prices themselves at "market" there will be someone going a little higher since the market can handle that price, next thing you know the pressure has driven up the cost and people are left homeless, all because someone wanted to make a little bit more than the next guy.

stuphoto likes this post.
lifegives
Board Meister

Liked in: 168 posts

Postby Jonrox » Feb 24th, 2021, 4:02 pm

lifegives wrote:
common_sense_guy wrote:(snip)...
If you owned a company wouldn't your goal for the most part to be turning a profit? Otherwise why would you have gotten into the business if not to make a living.

And right there is the problem with most free-market enterprise today, only beholden to the almighty dollar. What determines enough profit? It's like the rental market, when everyone prices themselves at "market" there will be someone going a little higher since the market can handle that price, next thing you know the pressure has driven up the cost and people are left homeless, all because someone wanted to make a little bit more than the next guy.

It's not just that. There are better alternatives that provide superior customer service levels and experiences than calling into a dispatcher.

Apps aren't just for ridesharing... taxi services in town are using them as well and it's a much cleaner and superior way of providing the service. Within a few taps on your device the service can be booked for a specific time, you can track where your cab is, and you can pay for the service.

If the taxi companies don't adapt they'll be left behind by other services and competitors that are providing superior products. Part of adapting to this new landscape is the implementation of technology that will render certain jobs in this industry obsolete.

2 people like this post.
Jonrox
Guru

Liked in: 4611 posts

Postby pmaria » Feb 24th, 2021, 6:18 pm

Jonrox wrote:
Apps aren't just for ridesharing... taxi services in town are using them as well and it's a much cleaner and superior way of providing the service. Within a few taps on your device the service can be booked for a specific time, you can track where your cab is, and you can pay for the service.

If the taxi companies don't adapt they'll be left behind by other services and competitors that are providing superior products. Part of adapting to this new landscape is the implementation of technology that will render certain jobs in this industry obsolete.

Unfortunately apps don't work for everyone. There are lots of seniors and people for which its easier to pick up a phone and call. Others have more complex requests that cant be satisfied with an app. Often, people are requesting rides for third parties as well. Dispatchers are still relevant as much as it would be nice to be solely app based.

3 people like this post.
pmaria
Fledgling

Liked in: 74 posts

Postby Bsuds » Feb 24th, 2021, 6:44 pm

pmaria wrote:
Unfortunately apps don't work for everyone.

There is no reason the Company can't have both.
My Wife is blaming me for ruining her Birthday!
That's ridiculous, I didn't even know it was her Birthday!

2 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 17740 posts

Postby pmaria » Feb 24th, 2021, 7:10 pm

Bsuds wrote:
pmaria wrote:
Unfortunately apps don't work for everyone.

There is no reason the Company can't have both.

They do, and I believe they were trying to go 100% app based, but that cant work 100%, which is why I suppose they were trying to outsource dispatch services. I also dont see that working well, local knowledge goes a long way when trying to dispatch rides.

Sonny Taylor likes this post.
pmaria
Fledgling

Liked in: 74 posts

Postby lesliepaul » Feb 24th, 2021, 8:17 pm

I love all of the Union haters out there.........the ones that have recieved "annual vacation with pay", "lunch breaks", "sick pay and benefits" and the list goes on and on and on..........the "haters" have ALL reaped the benefits of what Unions fought and died for back in the fifties and sixties. The "haters" recieved the benefits without having to contribute........good for you, your welcome!

Oh........and don't tell me OUR government protects us with their Labour Laws........THOSE came about BECAUSE of Unions.

I belonged to a Union for 38 years and believe me I had no love for everything they did BUT I do know which side the bread is buttered on and why it is........Unions.

The way big business is today, most being absolute lying scumbags will continue to "hold down" living wages to their employees and then feed them lines of :cuss: why they are better off without a Union.........WAKE THE :cuss: UP!

6 people like this post.
lesliepaul
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2211 posts

Postby OKkayak » Feb 25th, 2021, 12:38 am

Boosted632 wrote:Unionized, enuf said!

Oh, well OK then.

My Missus is unionized. Is she an unskilled lazy dog *bleep" too?
How about pilots, they're unionized, are they unskilled lazy dog *bleep"?
Aircraft mechanics?
Nurses?
Forestry workers?
Miners?
Scafolders?
Welders?
How about all those people working up in the oilfields in -50 degree weather? Man, they must be some real unskilled lazy dog *bleep*!

Boosted632 wrote:If you think they're making pennies a day you should give your head a shake, much more than minimum wage would be overpaid
Doesn't matter how much they make. Doesn't matter how much you think they are worth, you're in no position to decide that.

The workers aren't asking for some silly or unreasonable demands, they just want to keep their jobs.

As far as the company goes, they're already had their wrist slapped for bargaining in bad faith. Slap number two coming right up.
"Conspiracy Theories are a way for idiots to feel like intellectuals."

- David Baddiel

5 people like this post.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 18808 posts

Postby normaM » Feb 25th, 2021, 7:01 am

I don't have apps on my night at the Roxbury cell.
Unions have their uses
I don’t care what they’re going to say. Let the storm rage on.
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 16941 posts

Postby Catri » Feb 25th, 2021, 2:03 pm

common_sense_guy wrote:
Catri wrote:Yeah, those crazy unionists expecting to make more than the pennies a day that offshore workers get doing the same job. If you seriously think that cab dispatchers are living high on the hog you need to give your head a shake.

Why should they be living high on the hog when their job can be done by a majority of people. That is essentially an unskilled job in my opinion. The more skilled you are at your job the more you should be making. So the less skilled you are the less you should be making. That's how Society works

People need to read all the words...I didn't say I thought they were making pennies a day, nor did I say they were living high on the hog. What I do think is that people who work full time, regardless of whether the job requires a post-grad degree, a journeyman designation, a high school diploma, or the ability to walk and chew gum at the same time, deserve to earn at least a living wage. I'm not saying that highly skilled people shouldn't make more than unskilled people, I'm just saying that the bottom end should be enough to keep people out of poverty. If a business generates so little revenue that the employees can't be paid to that standard, maybe that business isn't viable.

3 people like this post.
Catri
Übergod

Liked in: 1564 posts

Postby JayByrd » Feb 25th, 2021, 2:29 pm

Boosted632 wrote:Unionized, enuf said!

Well now you're talking about me. Please, explain why you feel that way. About me.

Give examples. Show your work.
Finding something on the internet that aligns with your worldview, is not research.

normaM likes this post.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1879 posts

Postby stuphoto » Feb 26th, 2021, 10:37 am

normaM wrote:I think they charge you 5 before they leave your driveway

At least with Current that is true however if you watch their meter you will notice it takes a couple minutes or km before it starts rising.
So the $5 is just a minimum charge and it all works out to the same $0.85 per km or whatever they charge.
To be honest, if you are on a limited budget just telling the Dispatch and driver you only have $x.00 to spend will usually get you there. Just not necessarily during the busy period.

As for dispatchers, there are some very stressful periods when you may have 80 people ordering taxies all at once. Plus 50 drivers to deal with at the same time.
Plus not all even speak a word of English.
It can feel like the most frustrating and confusing job in the world at times.

normaM likes this post.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1615 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan