Outsourcing Baloney

polelady
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Outsourcing Baloney

Post by polelady »

All part of their job... if you can hot handle the heat... get out !
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

^^ this isn't about how crazy the job can get...this is about outsourcing a job that can be done HERE where the people who work there will spend their money HERE in our local community..AND the companies make their profits HERE from locals..

why on earth do some still think that killing off local jobs as "small" in some people's eyes as this will be good for our economy HERE ??

anybody who works for a living deserves some respect ..would you rather have more people jobless ??
pmaria
Fledgling

Post by pmaria »

stuphoto wrote:
normaM wrote: I think they charge you 5 before they leave your driveway
At least with Current that is true however if you watch their meter you will notice it takes a couple minutes or km before it starts rising.
So the $5 is just a minimum charge and it all works out to the same $0.85 per km or whatever they charge.
To be honest, if you are on a limited budget just telling the Dispatch and driver you only have $x.00 to spend will usually get you there. Just not necessarily during the busy period.
Taxi rates in Kelowna are set by the Passenger Transportion Board, and are the same for all taxi companies:
Flag fee: 3.50
Per Km: 2.25
Waiting: .70/min

https://www.ptboard.bc.ca/documents/Rul ... elowna.pdf

That being said there's nothing to stop individual companies adding extra "fees" including: drunk fee, airport fee, going out of the way fee etc, I've heard all of these (and more) applied to peoples fares by a couple different companies in town.
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

Writing’s on the wall. Yellow will be gone from Kelowna by the end of 2022.
Prospective customers see through arrogance.
pmaria
Fledgling

Post by pmaria »

twofingers wrote:Writing’s on the wall. Yellow will be gone from Kelowna by the end of 2022.
Prospective customers see through arrogance.
Looks like they are doing a great job helping themselves along: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnnj3NC ... e=emb_logo
KevinJP
Fledgling

Post by KevinJP »

I guess they found a new name for union busting. It's called outsourcing.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

pmaria wrote: Looks like they are doing a great job helping themselves along: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnnj3NC ... e=emb_logo
You do realize that when the cab companies go bust, it'll just be the same driver driving their own car for Uber, right?
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

OKkayak wrote:You do realize that when the cab companies go bust, it'll just be the same driver driving their own car for Uber, right?
Not really. If your Uber driver is unsafe, unpleasant, rude, or whatever he'll be quickly filtered out thanks to the rating and feedback system. If your rating drops below a certain level, you just get kicked off the system and have to go look for another job.

If your Yellow Cab driver is unsafe, unpleasant, rude, or whatever - tough luck, you'll probably encounter a manager who is just as unpleasant and rude.

That whole industry should be napalmed and started over from the ground up.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Even Steven wrote:Not really. If your Uber driver is unsafe, unpleasant, rude, or whatever he'll be quickly filtered out thanks to the rating and feedback system. If your rating drops below a certain level, you just get kicked off the system and have to go look for another job.
Like Lyft, Kabo and who knows who else [icon_lol2.gif]

There was an article down here in the Lower Mainland the other week, 90% of ride hailing drivers here are former cabbies. Watching them "drive", doesn't surprise me [icon_lol2.gif]
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

Mrmarvingardens wrote:Todays (ill)logic lesson:

Unions protect lazy and poor workers and prevent company owners from making money.
Interesting.
If that is the case, could someone please explain how big companies that are unionized make millions of dollars profit.
On the surface, this logic reminds me of those argue that lower taxes on businesses result in them spending more on innovation and hiring more workers.
I would love to explain why some big companies that have unions are making millions. It's all about the product you sell. Not necessarily your Workforce.. some companies can still succeed because of their product despite unions taking more of a chunk of the profits than they deserve.
You sound like you're in complete denial that unions don't and have never protected useless workers. Guess what, everybody knows they do.
I'm sure with a little research a person could easily find many companies that went under through necessity or chose to because of the Union Taking Liberties with someone else's business.
The premise of your argument that because the company
Is Union and still in business turning a profit prove there's nothing wrong with unions only shows your simplistic connection to the two. Not understanding or denying or taking into account the many many variables that come into play does not make your argument for unions more valid
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

Having just read Common Sense Guy's post, reminds me of a logic assignment by my Philosophy professor a number of years ago:
It went something like this:
You are to present an argument, written in mind with the logic rules I have taught.
To assist you, do not examine letters to the editor, and like; discourse that bear no resemblance to the facts presented.
WHY? because they are simply emotional ramblings of someone expressing an opinion, usually based on their own beliefs, opinions devoid of facts, and how they feel at the moment.
Good advice.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Whats this about not being able to be fired if you are in a union..........absolute B.S. In 38 years of being in a union I lost count how many were fired. The big thing the company used was "rules violations". Alcohol is (was) considered a disease and programs had to be offered.........but not forever. Many companies dragged out the union grievence proceedure with many dismissal cases going to an arbitrator........most got their jobs back......some with back wages and some without depending on circumstances.
bernie428
Board Meister

Post by bernie428 »

I think it's a poor/sad/desperate/stupid reaction to not understanding changing times.
I hate talking to anyone outside of Canada for customer service, unless it's a foreign company.
Telephone, cable, taxi, etc.
I feel sorry for the drivers and dispatchers, but you can take your call centre and ......
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Seeing these workers get back to work is only a temporary reprieve. Their jobs have become obsolete with the improvements in technology and they will all be looking for new employment in six months. It's not about a bad employer but rather progress.
Where are the dispatchers of their competition located? Do Uber and Lyft and all the other ride shares have local staff answering calls to book rides or is that done by a machine/electronically maybe even by servers located in foreign counties? For rideshares less employees equals reduced costs which they can then pocket the majority of the savings and pass the rest on to customers in the form of reduced rates.
Everyone wanted rideshares because they were so cheap and convenient now they are seeing the human costs of welcoming rideshares to their community.
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

CV sums it up!

The conservatives in the newspapers and regular guests on what passes for talk radio keep referring to "when we get back to normal"
It won't be.
And no the economy is not wonderful.
The recipients of government money are receiving more funds than when they were working.
Spending like there is no tomorrow.
Kelowna in particular headlines its news :" an unemployment rate of 4%...the lowest in the country."
Meaningless numbers that apply to those who are collecting E.I. benefits, not those who do not qualify.
The bread lines get longer;the rents, for 60% of Kelownians keep increasing, and the 1 percent keep getting richer.

Return to “Central Okanagan”