Surface parking at KGH

Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Interior Health Buys a Parking Lot

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

Kelowna General Hospital has announced they have purchase a large parcel of land at Pandosy and Glenwood for future parking.
Known as the Marrington property at 2169 Pandosy, KGH paid in excess of 10 million for the land, which was purchased by the Marrington's with the purchase of existing homes for about 1 million.
The original plan was for condominiums and more recently a hotel, the plans of which did not materialize.
cv23
Guru

Re: Interior Health Buys a Parking Lot

Post by cv23 »

Kelowna General Hospital has announced they have purchase a large parcel of land at Pandosy and Glenwood for future parking.
Source please ?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

It's believed the health authority has purchased a piece of land kitty corner to the hospital.
Listing agent Bill Raine with Coldwell Banker confirmed the property has sold for $10.2 million.
Raine was unable to confirm the buyer.
"believed" and "unable to confirm the buyer" are far from actual/factual confirmation that IH is the buyer.
Hopefully for KGH staff it is indeed true but we'll have to wait for actual confirmation and see just how long it takes IH to establish parking.
AltaRed
Fledgling

Re: Surface parking at KGH

Post by AltaRed »

If the Central Okanagan grows by another 50,000 people in the next 20-30 years, it is important KGH grab as much land as is needed to support that population as soon as they can. It won't get less expensive and it can earn parking lot revenue in the meantime.
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

AltaRed wrote:If the Central Okanagan grows by another 50,000 people in the next 20-30 years, it is important KGH grab as much land as is needed to support that population as soon as they can. It won't get less expensive and it can earn parking lot revenue in the meantime.
They really shouldn't be charging essential service employees for parking, visitors, sure.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
lifegives
Board Meister

Post by lifegives »

Nedroj wrote:
AltaRed wrote:If the Central Okanagan grows by another 50,000 people in the next 20-30 years, it is important KGH grab as much land as is needed to support that population as soon as they can. It won't get less expensive and it can earn parking lot revenue in the meantime.
They really shouldn't be charging essential service employees for parking, visitors, sure.
Do you really think parking is free? No matter where it is someone is paying for it, when it's free it just moves that cost somewhere else. Essential workers should get compensated properly but their expenses should be apparent even if it might be offset through benefits. I don't make my own budget based on assumptions that unicorns will be providing free ice cream for dessert.
Last edited by lifegives on Mar 5th, 2021, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

lifegives wrote: Do you really think parking is free? No matter where it is someone is paying for it, when it's free it just moves that cost somewhere else. Essential workers should get compensated properly but their expenses should be apparent even if it might be offset through benefits. I don't make my own budget based on assumptions that unicorns will be providing free ice cream for dessert.
Um Yes, Parking is free in many cases. During the Holidays all parking meters are turned off, all sundays are free parking all downtown, Parking in the mall is free, Parking on various streets is free. Hell, I get free secured underground parking at my job in an office building because of my seniority and there is also free parking in the parking lot for the other employees, visitors, and clients.
I don't see the problem with IH giving their employees (FRONTLINE ESSENTIAL SERVICE) free parking in a parking lot across the street.
Do paramedics get charged for parking their vehicles at the Ambulance stations?
What about firefighters? RCMP?

I lived right by the hospital for 8 years and during that time the Mac's store on Richter street has been robbed 4 times, I've had my front door attempted to be kicked in by street people, and numerous stuff stolen from my back yard. While I felt safe being a 6' 200lbs male walking around that area at night I can completely understand why females (the vast majority of nurses) wouldn't feel safe walking 1-2 blocks to/from their vehicle.

Just an FYI all doctors get their own private parking spots right next to the hospital for free.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

lifegives wrote: Do you really think parking is free? No matter where it is someone is paying for it, when it's free it just moves that cost somewhere else. Essential workers should get compensated properly but their expenses should be apparent even if it might be offset through benefits. I don't make my own budget based on assumptions that unicorns will be providing free ice cream for dessert.
Nedroj wrote: Um Yes, Parking is free in many cases. During the Holidays all parking meters are turned off, all sundays are free parking all downtown, Parking in the mall is free, Parking on various streets is free. Hell, I get free secured underground parking at my job in an office building because of my seniority and there is also free parking in the parking lot for the other employees, visitors, and clients.
I don't see the problem with IH giving their employees (FRONTLINE ESSENTIAL SERVICE) free parking in a parking lot across the street.
Do paramedics get charged for parking their vehicles at the Ambulance stations?
What about firefighters? RCMP?

I lived right by the hospital for 8 years and during that time the Mac's store on Richter street has been robbed 4 times, I've had my front door attempted to be kicked in by street people, and numerous stuff stolen from my back yard. While I felt safe being a 6' 200lbs male walking around that area at night I can completely understand why females (the vast majority of nurses) wouldn't feel safe walking 1-2 blocks to/from their vehicle.

Just an FYI all doctors get their own private parking spots right next to the hospital for free.
Since parking at KGH is out of the hands of either CoK & IH and controlled & monitored by Impark.
btw they appear to have contracts at majority of hospitals across Canada.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Um Yes, Parking is free in many cases.
If rumors are true and IH did just purchase the property on Pandosy for use as parking we taxpayers paid $10mil for that parking lot so hardly "free". Staff parking privileges may not be charged to the end user but someone (usually taxpayers in the case of IH) paid to buy the dirt that vehicle is parking on. Parking fees can help recoup some of the purchase costs but when no fees are charged the taxpayers wind up footing the entire cost of parking whether it be at a hospital as hospitals are taxpayer funded. Wherever you park your vehicle someone is paying or has paid for the realestate the vehicle is occupying.
lifegives
Board Meister

Post by lifegives »

Nedroj wrote: Um Yes, Parking is free in many cases. During the Holidays all parking meters are turned off, all sundays are free parking all downtown, Parking in the mall is free, Parking on various streets is free. Hell, I get free secured underground parking at my job in an office building because of my seniority and there is also free parking in the parking lot for the other employees, visitors, and clients.
And people in cars call people on bikes "entitled"?

1) The CoK takes a hit on parking income during those free shopping Saturdays, a loss-leader in the hopes that it will stimulate more shopping which will increase the overall income of the downtown core. Any shortage comes out of the general tax fund, us.

2) The Mall operator charges the stores enough to cover the costs of the taxes paid on the parking plus the maintenance. Those costs are transferred to the shoppers via the prices charged by the stores.

3) All free street parking is paid for by the general tax fund, us.

4) Your employer pays for your parking which will either be shown as a taxable benefit on your T4 or your employer will claim it on their filing.

Parking is never "free" (and usually paid by us.) Perpetuating the myth that parking is free just keeps us making demands for "our car" which creates issues that we see at the hospital. Many innovative companies run shuttles so that their employees can use satellite parking and still get to work reasonably dry in bad weather.

The car is not going away, but we need to get smarter about how we use it. I'd have rather seen the parkade go forward instead of sprawling out in the neighbourhood. But I understand the pressure KGH is under and this is the quickest way to appease the vocal. Two people in my neighbourhood work there and regularly ride bikes to the hospital. One quipped that it's how they make sure that they don't become their own patient.
gomoto

Post by gomoto »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 5th, 2021, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link to site that is not allowed.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

gomoto wrote: *removed*

It's verboten to quote that source
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

A couple of questions rise regarding the property just purchased by Kelowna General Hospital:

1. The property is not zoned for parking, so will have to go through rezoning process.
2. What will become of the heritage house (Dehart) on the corner of the property.
3. The property did contain an L shaped lane owned by the city. Did the owners of the property buy it from the city or
did the city gift it when the land became one large piece, about 2013?
4. Property is appraised at $3.8 million. KGH paid almost 10 million.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

4. Property is appraised at $3.8 million. KGH paid almost 10 million.
Actually the property is "assessed" at $3.8mil by BC Assessments not appraised at $3.8mil.
The actual value of something is not what it is assessed at or appraised at but rather what someone is willing to pay for it. The property is obviously worth $10mil as that is what was paid for it (although IH didn't pay with their own money but rather taxpayer money so the actual "value" may be a bit questionable).
One thing for sure is just how totally out of touch with reality BC Assessments is on property values which their one and only function.

Return to “Central Okanagan”