Illegal Dumping

Even Steven
Guru

Re: Illegal Dumping

Post by Even Steven »

BC Landlord wrote: Well, it has to be discarded somewhere.
Yes, and with restrictions and rules in place that somewhere will last us 50 years, not 5.
And gouging people landfill fees to conserve its space is just going to expand landfills into the bush. As evident!
Well, feel free to open your own landfill at your own backyard with super low rates and no rules. Let us know how it works out.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Even Steven wrote:Yes, because when it's in your house it's in dry conditions. It's when you put it into ground it becomes toxic.
I'm afraid, that's what unionized people want you to believe. They dramatize just about any work they get their hands on. There is nothing toxic in drywall, dry or wet. It's plain gypsum (calcium sulfate) and It's naturally occurring.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gypsum#:~ ... 20drywall.
Calcium sulfate per se is nontoxic and is even approved as a food additive.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Even Steven wrote:Yes, and with restrictions and rules in place that somewhere will last us 50 years, not 5.
And, ... how's that (i.e. restrictions) working? When you make rules that so many people don't follow, shouldn't it be a time to rethink them, rather than doubling down on that?
smoky500
Fledgling

Post by smoky500 »

and there is idiots like this, came across this 7 km up Allendale Lake rd ( I know that is south Okanagan but relevant to topic), no plates or papers, called in VIN to RCMP, it had been reported already, was insured, owner notified, wasn't informed if it had been stolen, (not likely since registration was also missing),but was told it is up to forestry to remove it. ICBC not responsible for this, it is up to the owner, but if they don't deal with it, falls to forestry.
Attachments
IMG_0346.JPG
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

BC Landlord wrote:And, ... how's that (i.e. restrictions) working? When you make rules that so many people don't follow, shouldn't it be a time to rethink them, rather than doubling down on that?
I don't think it's working that bad. The absolute vast majority are using landfills, and yes we have some a$$-hats, but they're 0.0X of the general population using the proper channels for disposal.

You probably have more people shoplifting on any other day, but I don't see anybody making an argument that the system isn't working and that stores have to lower their prices because clearly, things are not working out and there's a need for re-thinking. Some people are a$$-hats no matter what.

Landfills can be free, and they're still too lazy to drive all the way from Mission and instead dump things in the woods probably complaining that Kelowna doesn't have a second landfill. You open a second location, and people whine that it's too much work to load things up and demand free service.
dorf007
Fledgling

Post by dorf007 »

MAPearce wrote:So while we're all talking about illegal dumping ...

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... ur-forests

I sure hope someone steps up to help the guy who does the MOST to fix it ...
I have some very good news.
Kelowna Ford Lincoln contacted Kane Blake and is generously making ALL the repairs for FREE !!!

Thank you Kelowna Ford Lincoln :up:
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

I thought that anyone with a unwanted vehicle can call a scrap removal company & they will pick it up ?

The owners used to get money for any vehicle is this no longer the case ?

What about donating it to a charity ?

Why isn't the Okanagan Water Basin involved in asking for stiffer penalties about dumping all trash in the watersheds ?
dorf007
Fledgling

Post by dorf007 »

one wheel wrote:I thought that anyone with a unwanted vehicle can call a scrap removal company & they will pick it up ?

Why isn't the Okanagan Water Basin involved in asking for stiffer penalties about dumping all trash in the watersheds ?
True, anyone can call Pick & Pull, they will pick it up and if there is value you can make a few bucks.
But I don't think they will go in the bush to retrieve them.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

one wheel wrote:I thought that anyone with a unwanted vehicle can call a scrap removal company & they will pick it up ?

The last experience I had about a year ago, I was able to have the scrap vehicle picked up, but the driver said the price of metal was so low that he could not pay for it.

I didn't mind, as it still got rid of the vehicle responsibly, and it didn't cost me anything to do so.

Seems the only thing of any value these days is catalytic converters.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... wna#330742

Great story, nice to see Ford step up and help this local hero out. If you know this man, give him a thank you!! Also the Ford dealership, nice to see them thinking of our community we sometimes fail to see these acts of kindness,
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Post by liisgo »

Ken7 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... wna#330742

Great story, nice to see Ford step up and help this local hero out. If you know this man, give him a thank you!! Also the Ford dealership, nice to see them thinking of our community we sometimes fail to see these acts of kindness,
We are pretty much guaranteed that any, next generation of kids, of these awesome people, never once will as much as drop a banana peal on the ground. Clearly this is the example of the only method of teaching people what wrongs are. It all goes back to parents and education when people are young. Take the kids once a month from the class room and bus them into nature to clean up. They will learn respect the only way.
Good on these folks, for doing what they do. such an obvious example that parenting and education is the only way to teach people whats right and wrong. Guess what Im saying is these people are one heck of an amazing example out there. If every parent was like them, we wouldn't have loser adults doing this stuff in the first place.
cheers.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I'm catching up from the first page just now... I have to disagree with calls to fine the guy a lot more and publish shame him. We want a system where turning yourself in is encouraged. Throw the book at him if he didn't, but if he turns himself in, pays for the clean-up, do some community service, and promises to never do this again, that should be punishment enough for a first time offense. In my opinion.
Last edited by Glacier on Apr 13th, 2021, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
okanaganforesttaskforce

Post by okanaganforesttaskforce »

I haven't been on the forums in a very long time. Thank you for the kind words I'm no hero just a regular guy trying to make a difference in our backcountry and community. It is the community and volunteers that are the heroes. I am beyond thankful for all the community support and kelowna Ford Lincoln for them helping us out with our truck. With out it running we would not be pulling garbage from the backcountry. It is hard to keep up with all the messages, emails and comments but I'm doing what I can.
Thank you all
How hard is it to pick up after your self in the forest!!
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

okanaganforesttaskforce wrote:I haven't been on the forums in a very long time. Thank you for the kind words I'm no hero just a regular guy trying to make a difference in our backcountry and community. It is the community and volunteers that are the heroes. I am beyond thankful for all the community support and kelowna Ford Lincoln for them helping us out with our truck. With out it running we would not be pulling garbage from the backcountry. It is hard to keep up with all the messages, emails and comments but I'm doing what I can.
Thank you all

^^^ nope, totally disagree...all of you people are heroes !!

you are fine human being Mr Blake for starting this, so take the well deserved compliments, you deserve every single one of them :up:
lifegives
Board Meister

Post by lifegives »

okanaganforesttaskforce wrote:I haven't been on the forums in a very long time. Thank you for the kind words I'm no hero just a regular guy trying to make a difference in our backcountry and community. It is the community and volunteers that are the heroes. I am beyond thankful for all the community support and kelowna Ford Lincoln for them helping us out with our truck. With out it running we would not be pulling garbage from the backcountry. It is hard to keep up with all the messages, emails and comments but I'm doing what I can.
Thank you all
Humility is the mark of a good hero. I wish we could all lead by example as well.

Return to “Central Okanagan”