Kelowna gets second pedestrian overpass atop Highway 97

CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Kelowna gets second pedestrian overpass atop Highway 97

Post by CrystalCity »

:spitcoffee:

Ironic that's it's referencing their own website!

[icon_lol2.gif]
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
dcipher
Übergod

Post by dcipher »

OKkayak wrote: Apr 27th, 2021, 3:29 pm Just like any overpass, it'll take people too long to cross the road with it, so they'll just keep doin' what they always do and jaywalk.

On the plus side though, its a great new venue for protesters [icon_lol2.gif]
AHAHAHAHAHAA>.....that is insanely long, I've never seen a design add distance like that. Since it it doesn't even drop people off directly on the other side of the street, it may well add even more distance. It will be good for people living in the condo's...for others....just crossing at Richter is probably the same distance or less. Funny funny stuff.... Skateboarders might like it though!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

People j-walk across Harvey all the time, some will use the overpass walkway meanwhile others will continue to j-walk across Harvey. It happens daily at current overpass walkway.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

dcipher wrote: Feb 23rd, 2022, 5:26 pm AHAHAHAHAHAA>.....that is insanely long, I've never seen a design add distance like that. Since it it doesn't even drop people off directly on the other side of the street, it may well add even more distance. It will be good for people living in the condo's...for others....just crossing at Richter is probably the same distance or less. Funny funny stuff.... Skateboarders might like it though!
Crazy haw long a walk it's going to be just to cross the street.
I'd likely just skip the 5 minute hike and cross the street. [icon_lol2.gif]
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Mostly will benefit Central Green and the Safeway down town. Central Green (Mission Group) should have paid the whole shot as a penalty for not building the towers they were supposed to build.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

dcipher wrote: Feb 23rd, 2022, 5:26 pm Skateboarders might like it though!
Skateboarders and Safeway shopping cart thieves.
Anonymous123 wrote: Feb 23rd, 2022, 7:43 pm Mostly will benefit Central Green and the Safeway down town. Central Green (Mission Group) should have paid the whole shot as a penalty for not building the towers they were supposed to build.
Pay the full price not only for not building the towers but creating the eyesore the rest of us will have to drive under, which I doubt will benefit either their residents or the Safeway.
spooker

Post by spooker »

To reach the height needed to allow for the transports travelling underneath the ramps are required to be at a grade that is accessible by everyone, mobility-impaired and all ... yes, it does add distance to the approach ... the alternative is make it unusable by people who most need it ...

Why do people jaywalk across Harvey? because through traffic is prioritized and just like everyone else people are impatient ... this will be a nice option in that to use it one doesn't need to wait for "permission"

The overpass near Parkinson Rec has been a good addition, also because it promotes movement from the bus stops nearby ...

Since the overpass was part of the deal that the CoK made with MoTI it's not up to the developers on the south side to fund it ... it'll be used by everyone as the network continues to be built out and densification increases downtown ...

Seeing people who seem to be those who wouldn't want to use it deride it seems like a great use of time ... we don't have to be the target audience to be able to see how it might help someone, it's called empathy, try it sometime, it's leaves one with a pretty good feeling ... just sayin'
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

The overpass would be more sensible at that location if a couple of things changed with the intersection at Richter and Harvey:

1) Better left turn signals, since currently there is only one to go southbound onto Richter, making it a bit more impractical for Pedestrians to use the intersection.
2) Lengthen the time for the Green through light for Harvey is longer. It seem to be the place where traffic blocks the intersection once red, too and I don't know if a longer light will help that or not.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I've used the Landmark/Parkinson overpass many times.
Works well as it should.

I just question why the great lengths built into the ramps of the
presented one.

Seems a bit excessive for a relatively straight for ward structure.
Relative to how structures go, why complicate it ?
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
pommiepainter

Post by pommiepainter »

Honest question: Wouldn't it make more sense to build a pedestrian overpass at Abbott or Pandosy? I swear more people use those 2 crossing then Richter. Although I am totally prepared to proved wrong on that.
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

Spooker is correct in that pedestrian overpasses across truck routes do need longer ramps to permit the height clearance. This is how they are for the one across the Lougheed in Coquitlam and across the Trans Canada in Kamloops. Perhaps it's the drawing that makes this one seem odd. That said, I agree that it would have made more sense down at Pandosy, which would have brought some sense to the whole old Mc'D's fiasco.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

No room
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

At Pandosy? That piece of triangle and across to Water? I'm still struggling with how there is room at the current location, unless it is either going to be build on top of the Shell or close off Bertram all together. I think half the problem is that the drawing is really not to scale which is why it seems so preposterous.
spooker

Post by spooker »

dirtybiker wrote: Feb 24th, 2022, 9:39 am I've used the Landmark/Parkinson overpass many times.
Works well as it should.

I just question why the great lengths built into the ramps of the
presented one.

Seems a bit excessive for a relatively straight for ward structure.
Relative to how structures go, why complicate it ?
Each ramp at the Dayton Overpass is about 80m long ... to have the ramp stretch from the landing point on the north side of Harvey it would land past Leon ... or if it went east it would basically land in the middle of Richter ...
CrystalCity wrote: Feb 24th, 2022, 9:57 am Spooker is correct in that pedestrian overpasses across truck routes do need longer ramps to permit the height clearance. This is how they are for the one across the Lougheed in Coquitlam and across the Trans Canada in Kamloops. Perhaps it's the drawing that makes this one seem odd. That said, I agree that it would have made more sense down at Pandosy, which would have brought some sense to the whole old Mc'D's fiasco.
Part of the reason for the location is that closer to the lake you then have redundancy with the tunnel under Harvey from Lake Ave access to City Park ... at Ricther the distance from the tunnel is about a kilometer and the usual gauge for active transportation distances show that people are willing to walk/bike/scoot about 400m ... which is roughly the distance from Pandosy to either the tunnel or this overpass (also the same distance to Ethel ATC too)
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I have a feeling this new overpass, will be used mostly by the BCTF, and such, to display their endless discontent, and little else.

I guess time will tell.

Given it's location, I'm of the mind that crossing with the Richter light, would probably work out to fewer steps, for someone heading to Safeway for groceries as but one example.

Why zigzag twice the distance if you don't have to?
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien

Return to “Central Okanagan”