Rental Scooters

dcipher
Übergod

Re: Rental Scooters

Post by dcipher »

ranger49 wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 8:40 am I watched a couple teens doubling up zip along lakeshore last night while vehicle traffic was at a standstill. The bitter faces from the vehicles were priceless. Imagine spending 50K for your SUV, filling it with $150 in gas only to be passed by a teenager on a toy.
How many bitter faces did you observe and what were the total number you observed? What was your vantage point?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

dcipher wrote: Jan 21st, 2022, 1:16 am
ranger49 wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 8:40 am I watched a couple teens doubling up zip along lakeshore last night while vehicle traffic was at a standstill. The bitter faces from the vehicles were priceless. Imagine spending 50K for your SUV, filling it with $150 in gas only to be passed by a teenager on a toy.
How many bitter faces did you observe and what were the total number you observed? What was your vantage point?
Good point, unless he was one of the teens looking backwards at their faces.
Bring back the LIKE button.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

And the revolving door keeps spinning.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... his-summer

Commence the scooter crashes.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

soupy wrote: Jul 21st, 2022, 11:21 am And the revolving door keeps spinning.

Commence the scooter crashes.
yup. The millennial age group, says it all [icon_lol2.gif] do what you do best stay behind your work desks and make poop up to feel better about yourselves
Last edited by the truth on Jul 21st, 2022, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

This looks safe ... sitting down while on a scooter... :D

https://www.iheartradio.ca/virginradio/ ... 1.18248459

~
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

What amazes me is the number of scooters driving where ever they please.

These same people appear to be of age to have drivers licenses, no one seems to care!
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Ken7 wrote: Jul 23rd, 2022, 10:10 am What amazes me is the number of [b]scooters driving where ever they please[/b].

These same people appear to be of age to have drivers licenses, no one seems to care!
But according our resident cycling zealot because almost all riders of bicycles and scooters have a drivers license they know and understand the rules, laws and safe operation of a vehicle.
Helmets are the law and the most basic of personal safety equipment yet....
wrote:More than 90 per cent of individuals injured did not wear a helmet at the time of injury.

Not riding on the sidewalk, riding with the flow of traffic and not doubling on a scooter are also laws. I don't know about others but based on the above statement, presented data and from what I've witnessed I can't see where rental scooter riders abide by any laws whatsoever so why is the CoK allowing and even supporting rental scooters in our community?
spooker

Post by spooker »

cv23 wrote: Jul 23rd, 2022, 11:14 am
Ken7 wrote: Jul 23rd, 2022, 10:10 am What amazes me is the number of [b]scooters driving where ever they please[/b].

But according our resident cycling zealot because almost all riders of bicycles and scooters have a drivers license they know and understand the rules, laws and safe operation of a vehicle.
Helmets are the law and the most basic of personal safety equipment yet....
wrote:More than 90 per cent of individuals injured did not wear a helmet at the time of injury.

Not riding on the sidewalk, riding with the flow of traffic and not doubling on a scooter are also laws. I don't know about others but based on the above statement, presented data and from what I've witnessed I can't see where rental scooter riders abide by any laws whatsoever so why is the CoK allowing and even supporting rental scooters in our community?
And speeding, running red lights, using an electronic device is against the law, but where is the ire against those scofflaws?
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

spooker wrote: Jul 23rd, 2022, 2:40 pm
And speeding, running red lights, using an electronic device is against the law, but where is the ire against those scofflaws?
The difference is that if a cop sees you speeding, running red lights or using an electronic device while behind the wheel of a car, you ARE likely going to get a ticket. Why the police are not enforcing even the most basic laws of the road for cyclists, scooters (such as not wearing a helmet, riding on the sidewalk, etc) should be the question!
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

spooker wrote:
And here we go again with the childish school yard attempt at deflection of "Nan ah nan ah, you're worse than I am" and zero acknowledgement of the facts and stats presented.
Fact is rental scooter riders are a hazard to their own health by breaking the law and the CoK is not only allowing such actions but actually endorsing them.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

cv23 wrote: Jul 23rd, 2022, 3:13 pm
spooker wrote:
And here we go again with the childish school yard attempt at deflection of "Nan ah nan ah, you're worse than I am" and zero acknowledgement of the facts and stats presented.
Fact is rental scooter riders are a hazard to their own health by breaking the law and the CoK is not only allowing such actions but actually endorsing them.
It appears that these E-scooters are MORE dangerous than riding a bicycle, so the cops should be cracking down on them, hard, if not wearing a helmet or breaking any other rules of the road. There are a lot of car/truck drivers that break the rules; no question but we see even more cyclists and scooter riders being even more reckless.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

XT225 wrote: Jul 23rd, 2022, 3:45 pm It appears that these E-scooters are MORE dangerous than riding a bicycle, so the cops should be cracking down on them, hard, if not wearing a helmet or breaking any other rules of the road. There are a lot of car/truck drivers that break the rules; no question but we see even more cyclists and scooter riders being even more reckless.
Our resident cycling zealot assures us the fines for no helmets are simply a form of discrimination against the poor not a personal safety measure so not really all that important. Interesting that each rental scooter in Kelowna is required to be equipped with a helmet and use of a helmet is mandatory under law. Why is it that the police ignore all these helmets being used as baskets rather than being worn? Why is the CoK not demanding the police enforce compliance with the laws of these scooters they are so freely endorsing the use of.
There will always be those who don't obey the law in both drivers and riders but we all have eyes and can easily see that on a percentage basis the numbers of riders ignoring the laws far far out number the percentage of drivers guilty of legal infractions.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

cv23 wrote: Jul 23rd, 2022, 4:07 pm
XT225 wrote: Jul 23rd, 2022, 3:45 pm It appears that these E-scooters are MORE dangerous than riding a bicycle, so the cops should be cracking down on them, hard, if not wearing a helmet or breaking any other rules of the road. There are a lot of car/truck drivers that break the rules; no question but we see even more cyclists and scooter riders being even more reckless.
Our resident cycling zealot assures us the fines for no helmets are simply a form of discrimination against the poor not a personal safety measure so not really all that important. Interesting that each rental scooter in Kelowna is required to be equipped with a helmet and use of a helmet is mandatory under law. Why is it that the police ignore all these helmets being used as baskets rather than being worn? Why is the CoK not demanding the police enforce compliance with the laws of these scooters they are so freely endorsing the use of.
There will always be those who don't obey the law in both drivers and riders but we all have eyes and can easily see that on a percentage basis the numbers of riders ignoring the laws far far out number the percentage of drivers guilty of legal infractions.
If the police would enforce the helmet law, to begin with, it might even reduce the number of low-lifes that ride around on BMX bikes, no helmets, obeying no rules and then stealing from us. Wouldn't elmininate them from riding but most would not want to obey the law, so might decide to walk. I can't understand how the COK can promote scooter rentals, yet does not insist that each and every one of them that is rented out, utilize a brain bucket as required by law. One of these days, some kid is going to receive a serious brain injury from a fall off one these things and the parents will sue the company, the police, city for not enforcing their own rules. You would think that the COK would understand the word "Liability".

I can see this occurring: A cop drives by a cyclist/skooter rider; the person isn't wearing a helmet. The cop is not currently on a call, and decides to ignore the infraction (its a $29 fine under B.C. Law) and soon after a serious crash occurs and the rider suffers major head injuries or worse. How do you think that officer is going to feel; knowing that he could have done something to prevent such an injury. Sure a helmet may not ALWAYS save you life but it certainly can help and thats why its the law in B.C. :smt045

Note: if some people don't agree with the helmet law in B.C., then lobby the Government to eliminate it. But as most anyone with half a brain would tell you, it was put in place for a reason; a good one; they save lives (same as mandatory seat belts in vehicles). Good story on Global Okanagan Television today re E-Scooter use in Kelowna.
OhMyDarlin
Fledgling

Post by OhMyDarlin »

cv23 wrote: Jul 23rd, 2022, 3:13 pm Fact is rental scooter riders are a hazard to their own health by breaking the law and the CoK is not only allowing such actions but actually endorsing them.
When I started this thread last year, I wasn't overly concerned about the riders. They can take their chances. It's the pedestrians that I worried about, especially along the lake walkway downtown. One of these days some senior or young child is going to get plowed over... and who is going to be liable for that? I hope it doesn't happen.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

OhMyDarlin wrote: Jul 23rd, 2022, 5:56 pm
cv23 wrote: Jul 23rd, 2022, 3:13 pm Fact is rental scooter riders are a hazard to their own health by breaking the law and the CoK is not only allowing such actions but actually endorsing them.
When I started this thread last year, I wasn't overly concerned about the riders. They can take their chances. It's the pedestrians that I worried about, especially along the lake walkway downtown. One of these days some senior or young child is going to get plowed over... and who is going to be liable for that? I hope it doesn't happen.
sadly 100% just a matter of time .
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Central Okanagan”