Crane collapse downtown

Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Crane collapse downtown

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Makes me wonder what caused that as the crane is anchored in concrete?

With most of it still standing, I have to speculate that perhaps it was overloaded, or the load was too far out, given that the whole top snapped off.

It appears that the building is at its final height so maybe attempting to lift a heavy AC unit or such.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
The_quiet_one
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by The_quiet_one »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 11:50 am I was in an office only a few hundred yards away near St. Paul and Doyle when it happened. It felt like a bomb went off, as the whole ground shook. I was sure it was an earthquake. My vehicle is still parked on St. Paul, and the cops have everything blocked off. I asked an RCMP if I could just get my truck out of the blast zone (looks like it's ok) and he basically told me to get lost and get off the street, so I complied.

Maybe it’s better to wait until they know it’s safe. Who knows what structural damage has been done.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Troy wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 11:26 am I grabbed some images from one of our webcams that shows that crane.

Kelowna crane collapse 20210712.jpg
Great job. Too bad there's no like button!

I hope everyone made it out of the way okay!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

The_quiet_one wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 12:09 pm
The Green Barbarian wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 11:50 am I was in an office only a few hundred yards away near St. Paul and Doyle when it happened. It felt like a bomb went off, as the whole ground shook. I was sure it was an earthquake. My vehicle is still parked on St. Paul, and the cops have everything blocked off. I asked an RCMP if I could just get my truck out of the blast zone (looks like it's ok) and he basically told me to get lost and get off the street, so I complied.

Maybe it’s better to wait until they know it’s safe. Who knows what structural damage has been done.
:up:

For certain the part that remains standing is compromised, given that it's all bent outward in the middle.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Watching that worker get off the crane was terrifying. I'm glad he made it!

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... ite#339739
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Septuagenarian wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 12:42 pm According to the Castanet report, a witness saw a person fall. Hoping . . ..
One of my friends on facebook said they had witnessed that too. :(

Edited to add:
UPDATE 12:42 p.m.

BC Emergency Health Services reports that two people have been transported to hospital, including one in critical condition. The other is in stable condition with minor injuries.

BCEHS sent 12 ground ambulances to the scene, including two critical care teams. It says there could be more patients, but it does not have the final number.

Meanwhile, WorkSafeBC confirmed its prevention and investigations teams are responding to the incident.

“The purpose of our investigation is to identify the cause of the incident, including any contributing factors, so that similar incidents can be prevented from happening in the future,” WorkSafeBC spokesperson Andy Watson said in an email. “We cannot provide any additional details at this time.”
― Albert Einstein
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pieinthei »

Kudos to Castanet for the updates.
:130:
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

― Albert Einstein
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

The_quiet_one wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 12:09 pm
I'd rather take my chances and get my truck the heck out of there!
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

UPDATE 1:35 p.m.

Power has now been restored to the downtown area.

Businesses and residences near the crane remain evacuated.

It is not clear at this time how long the evacuations will be required, but earlier this year when a crane was damaged in Glenmore by a fire, it took several days for the crane to be dismantled and nearby residents were out of their homes for multiple days.

UPDATE 12:42 p.m.

BC Emergency Health Services reports that two people have been transported to hospital, including one in critical condition. The other is in stable condition with minor injuries.

BCEHS sent 12 ground ambulances to the scene, including two critical care teams. It says there could be more patients, but it does not have the final number.

Meanwhile, WorkSafeBC confirmed its prevention and investigations teams are responding to the incident.

“The purpose of our investigation is to identify the cause of the incident, including any contributing factors, so that similar incidents can be prevented from happening in the future,” WorkSafeBC spokesperson Andy Watson said in an email. “We cannot provide any additional details at this time.”
― Albert Einstein
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 12th, 2021, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

UPDATE 2 p.m.

The Central Okanagan Regional District says residents near the downtown crane collapse who have been evacuated can to to the Salvation Army at 1480 Sutherland Avenue for Emergency Support Services

Separately, families of those injured or missing should go to the Parkinson Recreation Centre (McIntosh Room) at 1700 Parkinson Way, CORD said on Twitter.

Residents who live nearby say there were several people working on the crane this morning prior to its collapse. It is believed the crane was in the process of being dismantled.

BC Emergency Health Services now says three patients have been taken to hospital with one in critical condition, another seriously hurt and the third with minor injuries. The status of any fatalities remains unconfirmed.

RCMP have so far been unable to comment, beyond urging the public to avoid the entire downtown.
― Albert Einstein
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

I just talked to the RCMP manning the post at Bernard and St. Paul and they told me I can probably get my truck "later tonight". I said I was worried about it being broken into and she told me "there's a hundred cops surrounding it, I think it's safe".
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 2:17 pm I just talked to the RCMP manning the post at Bernard and St. Paul and they told me I can probably get my truck "later tonight". I said I was worried about it being broken into and she told me "there's a hundred cops surrounding it, I think it's safe".
[icon_lol2.gif]
eires37
Banned

Post by eires37 »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 2:17 pm I just talked to the RCMP manning the post at Bernard and St. Paul and they told me I can probably get my truck "later tonight". I said I was worried about it being broken into and she told me "there's a hundred cops surrounding it, I think it's safe".
100 cops? Surprising Kelowna has that many RCMP.

Return to “Central Okanagan”