Crane collapse downtown

alanjh595
Banned

Re: Crane collapse downtown

Post by alanjh595 »

AS of Sept 2021, WorksafeBC will not require Sihks to wear hardhats.

There are also exemptions for those that work at heights and have little risk of being hit from above or in the event that their hardhat may fall off and become a hazard to those below (roofers).

It's all in the WorksafeBC guidelines.
Bring back the LIKE button.
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

That's exactly why. Sounds like they're going to try tomorrow afternoon if the engineers approve it's safe enough.
I sure hope so JL ...

Imagine what his family is going through ?

For me , being in a "related" industry who works side by side with crane operators , I couldn't go home leaving anyone behind ...

Again , I get the safety protocols ... I just can't stop thinking about "him" ..........
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

django wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 6:40 pm ***Language warning***

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlXOYan3jmM&t=14s
Thank you for posting that.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

django wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 6:40 pm ***Language warning***

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlXOYan3jmM&t=14s
Well ...... Someone had to say it in "plain English" .

Good vid .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

alanjh595 wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 6:38 pm AS of Sept 2021, WorksafeBC will not require Sihks to wear hardhats.

There are also exemptions for those that work at heights and have little risk of being hit from above or in the event that their hardhat may fall off and become a hazard to those below (roofers).

It's all in the WorksafeBC guidelines.
Good point plus even a hard hat isn't going to protect much should a worker fall 25 floors.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

JagXKR wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 6:07 pm
Snman wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 4:57 pm The sheer ignorance of some of the comments in this thread are staggering. Safety on construction sites is dictated by Worksafe BC. Union or non union, the same rules apply. Armchair critics who have never worked in construction should stop embarrassing themselves. It was a tragic accident that cost several lives. My condolences to the friends and family of those lost.
What about the video from the people on the crane dismantling it? Showed at least 2 of the workers with no hard hat. I have been on a construction site and would not have been allowed to have entered without one on. Not even enter the site let alone work high up on a crane. And safety isn't an issue?
Sheer ignorance indeed.
You've been on a construction site? Doing what? Removed

I've been on construction sites for over 42 years. Do guys forget or cheat on hard hat rules? Occasionally. That doesn't make me ignorant? Further, I didn't say safety wasn't an issue. Please, don't put words in my mouth.
Last edited by Catsumi on Jul 13th, 2021, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Ya know what ?

Let's just get the guy home and save the pontificating for later , M'kay ?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

At this point everything is just speculation, allow the 2 investigations to take place.
1) WorkBC
2) the other RCMP

Then allow there findings to be released.

In the time being... try to be respectful to the Family/s who have lost loved ones.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

"Normalization of Deviance" is the right term alright.

I was shocked by the lack of head gear, proper footwear and harnesses. Unfortunately there are people reading this right now who have normalized lack of procedures and protocol in their own situations.

Heads up.

People are on to you.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I'm horrified this happened and know a lot of people down in that area. I can only hope families can move on eventually but the process will be horrific. My condolences to all those affected and hope they don't read the forums.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Fancy wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 9:56 pm I'm horrified this happened and know a lot of people down in that area. I can only hope families can move on eventually but the process will be horrific. My condolences to all those affected and hope they don't read the forums.
Well said, Fancy.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thank you. Drove by the area today and have worked down there. Saw the crane and my heart broke. Too many people (families, friends and neighbours) affected. Help those families - please.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Urban Cowboy wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 4:56 pm
TylerM4 wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 4:52 pm

Why would you expect MG's safety inspector to be onsite?
- They are inspectors not "constant supervisors".
- They're not qualified to provide input on this process/work, nor are they expected to as a result. They are responsible for ensuring railings are used, fall protection is in place, hard hats are worn, etc. They're in no way responsible for ensuring equipment is disassembled in a safe way - they have no clue how to do it safely themselves.
Just armchair experts sharing their ignorance TylerM4, nothing new here. :biggrin:

“LIKE, LIKE”
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 14th, 2021, 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal

Return to “Central Okanagan”