Crane collapse downtown

zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Crane collapse downtown

Post by zookeeper »

My eyes keep being drawn to the upward angle of the second (from the ground) brace, the first one is horizontal.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I'd not be buying close to a crane, nor would I sleep easy if I was in such a building
Until the official report is in probably best we keep our opinions to ourselves and fam/friends
Where the heck are all the people evac. staying? Not a hotel room to get :(
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Mission Group's last social media post was 5 days ago.

So silent...

I wonder where Randy Shier, Jon Friesen, Luke Turri are hiding.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Terris wrote: Jul 18th, 2021, 12:09 pm :up: :up:

Ditto...

I was first informed about the potential for high rise foundation problems here over 10 years ago by a cousin who works as an inspector for Stantec and friend who owned a local HVAC company.

At that time my friend was installing GPS monitors onto some downtown buildings; and regularly mentioned how much the buildings then, could be seen seasonally moving out of alignment on temporal data gathered over a year. I'm sure the city engineers are aware of this, and will have a hard time coming up with excuses should something even more calamitous occurs here.

The firefighting issue itself is an indication of how local council has chosen to play a long game dice with the developer$.

:132:

Probably of greatest future concern, is the issue of building displacement, as more and more of these concrete mountains are being built side by side on swamp land...

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1007/BF02826755

In my opinion, it's just a matter of time before this crane collapse tragedy will pale in comparison to an entire building or 2 collapsing here, just as has recently happened in Florida.

It's already clear that, the surrounding soils around this site were already disturbed to the point of displacing and damaging surrounding buildings during construction. Can't wait to see what happens with the old, derelict Willow Inn site.

Keep rolling those bones city council...

https://www.bing.com/th/id/OGC.c8820b27 ... GXbtmZM%3d
excellent post and o so true, so certain people can cover their backs . what is going on in this town is building condo$ as fast as possible for big $$$$$$$ and who cares about safety .
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

Lol some of the posts on here are to much are you guys serious? So many highrise experts on here now we have entire buildings that might fall down and everythings being done unsafe just to funny, oh and my personal favorite we dont want these buildings or anymore people here :spitcoffee:
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

Terris wrote: Jul 18th, 2021, 12:09 pm[snip]
Probably of greatest future concern, is the issue of building displacement, as more and more of these concrete mountains are being built side by side on swamp land...

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1007/BF02826755

In my opinion, it's just a matter of time before this crane collapse tragedy will pale in comparison to an entire building or 2 collapsing here, just as has recently happened in Florida.
[/snip]
I don't mean to ridicule you; I guess you have a point and I presume you have a deep understanding of the contents of the paper in your link.

But I suspect that most of us will have trouble with sentences like this:
On the basis of Delaunay triangulation skeleton, this study presents the partitioning model, which is similar to the Voronoi diagram. The property of equally separating space makes it a powerful tool to analyze the distri-
bution within polygon cluster. A displacement field is constructed in which the displacement propagation (including decay) can be realized. How to apply the Gestalt principle to the pattern recognition of building cluster is our next research.

For the computation of offset distance, we define a decay function related to the adjacency degree:r as f(:r) = c -- kx. It implies the higher adjacency degree leads to the shorter offset distance. This function is the simplest one as of the linear type. The function can also be of another form according to the decay speed along the change of adjacency degree. This function corresponds to the grade concept in the field.
So to lighten up the discussion, I'll (hopefully not at your expense) inject a bit of humour if I may:

The fictional Retro Encabulator device, which uses six hydrocoptic marzel vanes and an ambifacient lunar wane shaft to prevent unwanted side fumbling.

normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I did not know other buildings had been damaged before the collapse
No power to 60 units? There will be a mess to clean when they can finally go back :(
I did not expect Mission Group to say anything further

Have noticed several houses in my neighbourhood set up Hi Vis tributes.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

Scrobins94 wrote: Jul 18th, 2021, 6:00 pm Mission Group's last social media post was 5 days ago.

So silent...

I don't know why you characterize this as 'silence' and "hiding". No one would expect MG to 'carry on business as usual', and they've already given their statement. It doesn't matter what they are or aren't doing for Joe Q Public, it's what they're doing for the families of those affected that counts. And we don't know what that is because they're still going through the process of sorting that out (read: working through the legalities - which is their right, and is to be expected). Plus, the idea that we need to be kept informed of the current inner-workings of this private company is absurd.

I know all the Negative Nellies on this board are thinking that the people at Mission Group and Stemmer Construction are horrible, but I'll reserve judgement until the dust clears. Let's put a pin in it and circle back in a year or two, m'kay? =P
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Rejigger wrote: Jul 19th, 2021, 10:08 am
Scrobins94 wrote: Jul 18th, 2021, 6:00 pm Mission Group's last social media post was 5 days ago.

So silent...

I don't know why you characterize this as 'silence' and "hiding". No one would expect MG to 'carry on business as usual', and they've already given their statement. It doesn't matter what they are or aren't doing for Joe Q Public, it's what they're doing for the families of those affected that counts. And we don't know what that is because they're still going through the process of sorting that out (read: working through the legalities - which is their right, and is to be expected). Plus, the idea that we need to be kept informed of the current inner-workings of this private company is absurd.

I know all the Negative Nellies on this board are thinking that the people at Mission Group and Stemmer Construction are horrible, but I'll reserve judgement until the dust clears. Let's put a pin in it and circle back in a year or two, m'kay? =P
:130: :up: :up: :hailjo:
Bring back the LIKE button.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Rejigger wrote: Jul 19th, 2021, 10:08 am

So silent...

Sounds good. =)

But Mission Group does have a reputation of passing the buck to everyone except for themselves. I expect them to show face and tell more what they're doing about the situation. They go on great PR ceremonies with the Mayor for ribbon cutting, concrete topping, etc but about this?!?!? Nada. Crickets.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

So silent...

I have no doubt that MG are reeling from this disaster.
MG is a victim of someone's monumentally poor decision making (at the end of the day a human is to blame) in that their project is delayed, marred and a bunch more work created. This is not take away from other victims or there families but to point out that MG is a victim here.

Whether you like development and developers or not, high rises or not you have to hand it to MG for continually creating homes that people want (as evidenced by all the sale, guess that signifies that some people Do ant to live in a Kelowna high rise).

MG is a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. They has most likely received legal advice to do and say very little at this point.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Return to “Central Okanagan”