Crane collapse downtown

Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Crane collapse downtown

Post by Scrobins94 »

I'm wondering if Mission Group has resumed construction.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Scrobins94 wrote: Jul 23rd, 2021, 11:57 pm I'm wondering if Mission Group has resumed construction.
Obviously they will, as soon as possible. If they haven’t, it would be for good reason.
You and 71 others Like this post
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Jul 23rd, 2021, 7:42 pm
GordonH wrote: Jul 23rd, 2021, 7:05 pm

I rather see slow with proper due diligence then fast and sloppy
I agree. The investigation will take as long as it takes. There wont be any measure of emotion or feeling sorry or the truth being "slander". The fact of the matter is that a crane collapsed because of the human error of the crew. Not wind - not act of god or anything else. IMO I hope that Worksafe hammers down on inexperienced crews operating a tear down. Especially when civilians and millions of dollars of commercial and residential property is close by. Opening a company so you can bill yourself after buying the equipment proved to be a disaster. Opening a shell company for heavy equipment is 1 thing - but cranes is totally another.
This crew has both literally and figuratively been "hammered down" and I don’t see how this company will survive since it appears that half of the employees no longer exist and 2/3 of the ownership or senior (family) participants are no longer alive. Financially, it is worse.
So, there is nothing to hammer down with regards to this business.

As for other businesses in this sector they actually have a very low WorkSafeBC assessment rate of 1.11%......much lower than one may think, but based on the actual stats of reported events of the 167 firms in this sector in BC.
You and 71 others Like this post
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

that is what happens when a chunk of your employees comes from temp agencies , :200:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Tankur wrote: Jul 23rd, 2021, 6:24 am Those that don’t know anything about crane dismantling commenting about not removing bolts replacing bolts etc. Couldn’t be me. I make sure my info is correct before typing away.
One of the best post on this topic.

Funny when people have zero knowledge start passing judgement.

I watched the video also and then spoke to someone in construction. I learn some from both. Still not qualified to judge the victims actions.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

the truth wrote: Jul 24th, 2021, 8:22 am that is what happens when a chunk of your employees comes from temp agencies , :200:
None of the crane employees were from temp agencies.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Hey , its the posting without thinking or knowing bunch... they will post that tripe anyway....... :smt045
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote: Jul 24th, 2021, 9:53 am Hey , its the posting without thinking or knowing bunch... they will post that tripe anyway....... :smt045
They do it in abundance too.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Jul 24th, 2021, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post in a civil manner
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Its too bad. Well established companies in this town that have been here a long time have essentially become glorified management and administration firms. Gone are the days of companies that actually have crews that served the industry with skilled tradesmen and apprentices. Now its top heavy management staff and constant adds for the employees needed. And they hire a slew of people that say they know what they are doing - but don't have the education or training. The company throws crap at the wall and sees what sticks. Or uses temp agencies.

The past 20 years there was an erosion of the trades simply to suit the needs of companies and industry. That's why there is a lack of skilled trades. Current companies should never have been able to tailor the trades and apprenticeship programs. Too many apprentices come out of the Carpentry program and know 1 thing. Concrete. And if someone knows something they sub contract just so they can make rate from 40 years ago. I just spoke to a friend of my sons who works on site c dam. He even admitted that they do the finishing etc in the course - but he doesn't have a clue about anything but concrete. This doesn't serve the industry at all.

I hope that the NDP looks at the trades programs and makes the training more focused on the workers skills and less on the myopic industries needs. And of course this is my opinion - which is valid - and is permitted.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

the truth wrote: Jul 24th, 2021, 8:22 am that is what happens when a chunk of your employees comes from temp agencies , :200:
temp agency "day labourers" are just cleaners, junk haulers, grunt workers. They don't have any responsibility other than to move heavy objects from A to B.
They do not have any expertise required and would never be allowed near any piece of equipment.
Bring back the LIKE button.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

[icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
Tankur
Board Meister

Post by Tankur »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Jul 24th, 2021, 1:57 pm Its too bad. Well established companies in this town that have been here a long time have essentially become glorified management and administration firms. Gone are the days of companies that actually have crews that served the industry with skilled tradesmen and apprentices. Now its top heavy management staff and constant adds for the employees needed. And they hire a slew of people that say they know what they are doing - but don't have the education or training. The company throws crap at the wall and sees what sticks. Or uses temp agencies.

The past 20 years there was an erosion of the trades simply to suit the needs of companies and industry. That's why there is a lack of skilled trades. Current companies should never have been able to tailor the trades and apprenticeship programs. Too many apprentices come out of the Carpentry program and know 1 thing. Concrete. And if someone knows something they sub contract just so they can make rate from 40 years ago. I just spoke to a friend of my sons who works on site c dam. He even admitted that they do the finishing etc in the course - but he doesn't have a clue about anything but concrete. This doesn't serve the industry at all.

I hope that the NDP looks at the trades programs and makes the training more focused on the workers skills and less on the myopic industries needs. And of course this is my opinion - which is valid - and is permitted.
I did the plumbing apprenticeship. Problem working for companies in town. None of the journeymen want to teach. None of the companies want to lose
Good workers to school. I was a 2nd year for almost 5 years. I watched a lot come through and only be allowed to do one task. Drill holes. No touching or running any pipe. Until a 3rd or competent 4th year. Ita is a joke.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Jul 24th, 2021, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
Bring back the LIKE button.
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

Sonny Taylor wrote: Jul 18th, 2021, 11:13 pm
So to lighten up the discussion, I'll (hopefully not at your expense) inject a bit of humour if I may:

The fictional Retro Encabulator device, which uses six hydrocoptic marzel vanes and an ambifacient lunar wane shaft to prevent unwanted side fumbling.

Ditto...

This will only be a factor if you neglect to rechrome the muffler bearings on a sunny Tuesday prior to installation...

Also I see no seismic data represented.

Surely some one in the Engineering Dept. here saw the need and wisdom in collecting geodata from all that free seismic activity, with the pounding of the piles, and hired a Geo Tech company to monitor the effects of loading swamp land with heavy foundations to get an understanding of what lies underneath the surface of Kelowna.

But I get your analogy...

When given a bag of lemons...

:popcorn:

Return to “Central Okanagan”