Crane collapse downtown

Even Steven
Guru

Re: Crane collapse downtown

Post by Even Steven »

Mazdatruck wrote: May 30th, 2023, 7:14 pm
The map is part of the industry standard that tracks crane usage it's just an example....
... of garbage data :biggrin:

Shows zero cranes in all of Texas, so the figure 10 in all of NYC is probably BS
Mazdatruck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Mazdatruck »

Even Steven wrote: May 30th, 2023, 9:09 pm
The map is part of the industry standard that tracks crane usage it's just an example....

Shows zero cranes in all of Texas, so the figure 10 in all of NYC is probably BS
https://www.rlb.com/americas/insight/rl ... ca-q1-2023

https://www.rlb.com/americas/about/

:130:
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

... somehow it doesn't make it less garbage data [icon_lol2.gif]
ash71
Board Meister

Post by ash71 »

Even Steven wrote: May 30th, 2023, 9:09 pm

The RLD Crane Index tracks data in 14 specific cities... obviously Texas is not on their list.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Even Steven wrote: May 30th, 2023, 6:19 pm
Urban Cowboy wrote: May 30th, 2023, 6:16 pm... which indicated that there are currently around twenty tower cranes with permits operating in Kelowna.
... and yet it's not showing on this map. Begs the question if all the other info on this map is correct lol.

And it was 19:
According to WorkSafeBC, there are 19 tower cranes currently in operation in Kelowna
19 yes but they only require permits after a certain height apparently, so there are a few smaller ones in the mix, hence why I said "around twenty".

Basically we are in the same territory as Calgary.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Mazdatruck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Mazdatruck »

Canada has crazy amount of cranes for our size and that's because we have the biggest real estate bubble in human history going on right now. We have twice the amount of cranes as Calgary - a city 10x our size.

Safety is a real concern.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

Mazdatruck wrote: May 30th, 2023, 4:58 pm
If an accident of this scale took place in New York, it would be a huge deal.

We've already had another crane accident in Kelowna and the report of the last accident hasn't been released yet. I know it was a powerline hit but it's just luck there wasn't any fatalities. Cranes + high voltage lines + live construction sites is a dice roll.
I disagree. Cranes and voltage lines and construction is a part of everyday building throughout the world and can be done safety with proper planning and training. It is far from a "dice roll".

And in New York each sky-scraper is essentially it's own tower crane now. Most buildings leave a crane system on top to be used for hoisting platforms for window washing/repairs etc. Its part of the build.
Mazdatruck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Mazdatruck »

soupy wrote: May 31st, 2023, 3:35 pm I disagree. Cranes and voltage lines and construction is a part of everyday building throughout the world and can be done safety with proper planning and training. It is far from a "dice roll".
It' s a dice roll that nobody got killed when the crane crossed the lines. You misunderstood me. I'm agreeing with you that power lines are a everyday hazzard that is everywhere and a crane operator should be acutely hyper aware of their location.

In the crane collapse accident the workers shown in the video are not every wearing basic safety PPE which perhaps leads to why an accident of this scale occurred. The fact a crane hit the wires is very concerning because those wires have been their the entire time. I'm not aware of the details of the accident. Maybe the operator was doing a very tricky and tight maneuver and it didnt go well which is explainable but if this was just a oopsy daisy normal operations accident it shows perhaps a lack of basic safety and protocols. You should not be coming into contact with wires, ever. On day one of that job site those wires were flagged, identified and cited in the basic safety plan I'm sure.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

ash71 wrote: May 31st, 2023, 12:26 pm The RLD Crane Index tracks data in 14 specific cities... obviously Texas is not on their list.
Well, if they omit entire states and cities, how can their data be NOT garbage lol?

And how do they count the cranes - is it the ones in total in the entire city, or only the ones financed through their clients? For their projects? Who the hell knows, they might be omitting data there too. If it's not reliable/not available in 80% of the country, who says it's reliable where they have an office?

All of a sudden we're comparing apples, to apples where there should be but we don't know how many, throwing oranges in there too for good measure and a kitchen sink.

Oh, based on all of this we say safety is a concern lol. Good argument [icon_lol2.gif]
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Mazdatruck wrote: May 31st, 2023, 3:22 pm Canada has crazy amount of cranes for our size and that's because we have the biggest real estate bubble in human history going on right now. We have twice the amount of cranes as Calgary - a city 10x our size.

Safety is a real concern.
:135:

Calgary is showing as having 20 which is basically the same as us, so where are you getting this "twice the amount of cranes" idea from?
Mazdatruck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Mazdatruck »

Urban Cowboy wrote: May 31st, 2023, 4:29 pm :135:

Calgary is showing as having 20 which is basically the same as us, so where are you getting this "twice the amount of cranes" idea from?
I didnt mean it like that.

Calgary is 10x our size and we have the same amount of cranes which is crazy.

Settle down everyone
jessebooker

Post by jessebooker »

While working for *removed* I had a 5 tonne gantry crane collapse ontop of me.
Last edited by ferri on May 31st, 2023, 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Business name removed.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Mazdatruck wrote: May 31st, 2023, 4:47 pm
Urban Cowboy wrote: May 31st, 2023, 4:29 pm :135:

I didnt mean it like that.

Calgary is 10x our size and we have the same amount of cranes which is crazy.

Settle down everyone
Yeah but no one wants to live in Calgary. [icon_lol2.gif]

Also you didn't say "the same amount of cranes" in the other post, you clearly said "twice the amount of cranes" which is what I called you out on. :biggrin:
Mazdatruck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Mazdatruck »

Urban Cowboy wrote: May 31st, 2023, 5:50 pm Also you didn't say "the same amount of cranes" in the other post, you clearly said "twice the amount of cranes" which is what I called you out on. :biggrin:
Called me out? Work with me! It was a disproportion of population to cranes you know what I meant we're not writing a legal document here. I also think in New York they count cranes that are part of the building as there is no space ususally to run a crane on a street or the site. Toronto has a crazy amount of cranes and nobody can find a place to live there. We're pretty nuts up here.

:130:
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

Mazdatruck wrote: May 31st, 2023, 3:46 pm
soupy wrote: May 31st, 2023, 3:35 pm I disagree. Cranes and voltage lines and construction is a part of everyday building throughout the world and can be done safety with proper planning and training. It is far from a "dice roll".
It' s a dice roll that nobody got killed when the crane crossed the lines. You misunderstood me. I'm agreeing with you that power lines are a everyday hazzard that is everywhere and a crane operator should be acutely hyper aware of their location.

In the crane collapse accident the workers shown in the video are not every wearing basic safety PPE which perhaps leads to why an accident of this scale occurred. The fact a crane hit the wires is very concerning because those wires have been their the entire time. I'm not aware of the details of the accident. Maybe the operator was doing a very tricky and tight maneuver and it didnt go well which is explainable but if this was just a oopsy daisy normal operations accident it shows perhaps a lack of basic safety and protocols. You should not be coming into contact with wires, ever. On day one of that job site those wires were flagged, identified and cited in the basic safety plan I'm sure.
Fair, misunderstood then. And yes, very well aware of the video of the workers prior to the collapse, along with some other factors as well that I am sure will come to light if/when the WorkSafeBC Investigation is released.

Cannot speculate on the recent incident contacting power lines, just that it is absolutely unacceptable.
I have worked around many cranes, and unfortunately have seen that any incident that occurred (only 2 in my time) were both purely fault of operator or ground workers not following known procedures. Fortunately, no one was hurt.
*one involved an unsecured item falling off the structure piece being lifted. That item was left there, and the structure piece was not doubled checked prior to being lifted. Had the item hit someone on the ground, they would have been dead.

Return to “Central Okanagan”