Rene Merrifields run at Liberal leadership

just popping in
Lord of the Board

Re: Rene Merrifields run at Liberal leadership

Post by just popping in »

twofingers wrote: Aug 3rd, 2021, 1:39 pm Oh my God!
All we need now is for Basran to jump ship to be her campaign manager!
Or she decides to run for Mayor when no other party wants her. [icon_lol2.gif]
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

She will probably fund her campaign with the help of her brother, Lane Merrifield,(Club Penguin) and builder of the near empty Innovation Centre.He was noted as being the biggest donater to Colin Basrans election campaign.
Rene who claims to be the CEO of Troika developments is really a figurehead.The company is run by others.
To quote Rene "The company doesen't need me' to operate't "
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

lensbaby wrote: Aug 3rd, 2021, 7:59 pm
Urban Cowboy wrote: Aug 3rd, 2021, 2:55 pm It's somewhat amusing, to see people who have complained incessantly, about the Liberal old guard, now go out of their way to trash someone who is new.

There is no winning with you people.
Ridiculous statement -

First of all we are not "You People" - that is just rude!
Second - just because a few have complained about the Liberal old guard, does not mean that they have to accept an (IMHO) unqualified and unsuitable candidate whose only recent foray into the news was to take a stance in opposition to the health measures being imposed due to the latest increase in Covid cases.
Why don't you just be honest and admit that what irks you about Renee is that she's a developer!

She actually has quite a decent resume beyond being a developer, and I'd venture better than yours. :biggrin:

Clark was a radio personality without a seat in the legislature, when she became leader of the Liberal Party, which she did pretty good at, while the haters were more obsessed with her neckline, a group you likely belonged to.

I doubt Renee would have some of the positions she holds, were she incompetent, not to mention that Steve Thompson's endorsement would have been unlikely were that to be true.

As for my "you people" remark it clearly found its target. [icon_lol2.gif]
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 4th, 2021, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attack
dorf007
Fledgling

Post by dorf007 »

Well, other than JT, Renee Merrifield is a good reason to NEVER vote Liberal....not that I ever would !
strongarm242
Fledgling

Post by strongarm242 »

It kind of bothers me that someone new to politics, who hasn't even served as an MLA for a year, now thinks they should run the party going into the next election. I would like to think there are more deserving, experienced, and competent MLAs who have paid their dues and deserve a shot at leadership before she does. Maybe she would be better off serving as an MLA for a few years and learning the way before making the jump to leader of the party. What she probably perceives as confidence comes off as impatience and arrogance in this case. Besides, I thought she was a Conservative?
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

She tried getting into federal politics with the Conservative Party but lost to Tracy Gray.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Merrifield being a BC Liberal MLA, and the world's worst health critic, has left me with no provincial "political home".

Horgan has proven himself to be a self serving ideologue. Merrifield has proven herself to be the same.

I can't vote for the Horgan gang. I won't vote for a party that harbors and promotes the likes of Merrifield under any circumstances. Sonia Furstenau is out there in la-la land. I can't even get the satisfaction of voting against Merrifield as she isn't in my riding.

We need a real rational center party in BC!
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

I wonder if changing her name back to her maiden to capitalize on her brother’s success has worked out? Might as well go a for a golden ring when you have nothing else to contribute and you’re banking on popularity. In the end, it seems politics is all about being popular and a puppet, and having a famous last name never hurts, right Justin.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Now Liberal health critic she also ran federally for the Conservatives, and was edged out by Tracy Gray, who unfortunately replaced the best M.P. Kelowna had: Stephen Fuhr.
You're kidding , right ?????
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
spooker

Post by spooker »

dorf007 wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 1:45 pm Well, other than JT, Renee Merrifield is a good reason to NEVER vote Liberal....not that I ever would !
Though, to be clear, the Federal Liberal party has nothing to do with the BC Liberal party ... they do not align at all ... many people who would vote BC Liberal will vote Federal Conservative ... it's a strange name game they play (the BC Liberals that is) ...
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Though, to be clear, the Federal Liberal party has nothing to do with the BC Liberal party ... they do not align at all ... many people who would vote BC Liberal will vote Federal Conservative ... it's a strange name game they play (the BC Liberals that is) ...
Well .. They had to something after the Socreds imploded ..

I'd to see a viable 3rd option in BC . Too bad the BC Conservatives didn't cut it .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

dorf007 wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 1:45 pm Well, other than JT, Renee Merrifield is a good reason to NEVER vote Liberal....not that I ever would !
spooker wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 4:19 pm Though, to be clear, the Federal Liberal party has nothing to do with the BC Liberal party ... they do not align at all ... many people who would vote BC Liberal will vote Federal Conservative ... it's a strange name game they play (the BC Liberals that is) ...
Us old-timers know BC Liberals are just the former BC Social Credit Party... maybe it’s time to use the correct name for the party.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
DarbyD
Übergod

Post by DarbyD »

spooker wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 4:19 pm
Totally agree the BC Liberals should come clean in their name and who they really are. Really they are a combination of social credit and reform party. Many a reform rally was held by the Ben Stewart family.
I'm not your enemy. We have a difference of opinion, and I can live with that. Can you?
spooker

Post by spooker »

GordonH wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 4:23 pm
spooker wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 4:19 pm Though, to be clear, the Federal Liberal party has nothing to do with the BC Liberal party ... they do not align at all ... many people who would vote BC Liberal will vote Federal Conservative ... it's a strange name game they play (the BC Liberals that is) ...
Us old-timers know BC Liberals are just the former BC Social Credit Party... maybe it’s time to use the correct name for the party.
Still wouldn't make any sense with their politics ... if defined literally, but that's a topic for another thread ...

Return to “Central Okanagan”