I am not a trucker - so please help me out here

2manyfords
Übergod

Re: I am not a trucker - so please help me out here

Post by 2manyfords »

Yeah, definatly not a tractor/trailer. Clearly a 3-5 ton moving van. You can almost even make out the colors of a moving company...no name given :biggrin:
Trying to think of something profound, and full of wisdom to place here...any suggestions?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

That's why its a good idea to do a solid tug test.
Is that not a mandatory part of a pre trip inspection?
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I don't think it is reasonable to attribute this to cold weather.
Bring back the LIKE button.
2manyfords
Übergod

Post by 2manyfords »

daveandanne wrote: Aug 11th, 2021, 3:17 pm To me it looks like the trailer separated from the tractor for some unknown reason as the brakes were applied as the skid marks show two separate skids in the first picture. It could have been a unlocked hookup on the fifth wheel of the tractor pulling it?

Those two individual skids could have been from the trailer and pulled it off of the fifth wheel. or pulled the entire fifth wheel off of the semi tractor.
Am I the only one to notice the lack of exhaust stacks on the cab of that truck? Most commonly attributed to a tractor/trailer unit?

I've never seen a semi with below cab exhaust.
Trying to think of something profound, and full of wisdom to place here...any suggestions?
eires37
Banned

Post by eires37 »

2manyfords wrote: Aug 11th, 2021, 4:00 pm
daveandanne wrote: Aug 11th, 2021, 3:17 pm To me it looks like the trailer separated from the tractor for some unknown reason as the brakes were applied as the skid marks show two separate skids in the first picture. It could have been a unlocked hookup on the fifth wheel of the tractor pulling it?

Those two individual skids could have been from the trailer and pulled it off of the fifth wheel. or pulled the entire fifth wheel off of the semi tractor.
Am I the only one to notice the lack of exhaust stacks on the cab of that truck? Most commonly attributed to a tractor/trailer unit?

Many new semi trucks EG International Prostar have the option of a conventional under-frame exhaust... usually done to reduce aerodynamic drag and increase fuel efficiency. Newer model Petes & KW also have this same option.
2manyfords
Übergod

Post by 2manyfords »

eires37 wrote: Aug 11th, 2021, 4:14 pm
2manyfords wrote: Aug 11th, 2021, 4:00 pm

Many new semi trucks EG International Prostar have the option of a conventional under-frame exhaust... usually done to reduce aerodynamic drag and increase fuel efficiency. Newer model Petes & KW also have this same option.
Well...I guess i've learned something new today! I have never seen one though. Doesn't make sense to pump exhaust under a semi trailer. Not saying it doesn't exist... :130:

Either way, the cab shown in the picture is not a current model of anything.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

alanjh595 wrote: Aug 11th, 2021, 3:53 pm I don't think it is reasonable to attribute this to cold weather.
Weather means nothing ..

A tug test not only ensures the lock on the trailer plate has locked onto the king pin , it also tests if the trailer brakes are working..

Important in ANY weather
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
eires37
Banned

Post by eires37 »

2manyfords wrote: Aug 11th, 2021, 4:19 pm
eires37 wrote: Aug 11th, 2021, 4:14 pm

Well...I guess i've learned something new today! I have never seen one though. Doesn't make sense to pump exhaust under a semi trailer. Not saying it doesn't exist... :130:

Either way, the cab shown in the picture is not a current model of anything.
New as in the last 10 years, at least, most Semi truck manufacturers have offered this option. The exhaust is not pumped under the trailer... the outlet is ahead of the frame mounted fuel tanks.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

2manyfords wrote: Aug 11th, 2021, 3:45 pm Yeah, definatly not a tractor/trailer. Clearly a 3-5 ton moving van. You can almost even make out the colors of a moving company...no name given :biggrin:
Five ton van with only numbered company details on it, and it was partially loaded with mattresses.

Seems the passenger got the worst of it and has a seriously damaged arm.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
daveandanne
Übergod

Post by daveandanne »

If it walks like a duck and looks like a duck then it is a Semi.
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

Finally a thread for truck drivers. Even they need help sometimes too.
Strong and free
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Chances are the driver was trying to beat a light change and took the corner way to fast and boom flipped onto it side.
:cuss: happens
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

MAPearce wrote: Aug 11th, 2021, 3:52 pm
That's why its a good idea to do a solid tug test.
Does it have air brakes, or air over hydraulic? Can you do a tug test *giggity* on air over hydraulic?

Hmmm, have to ask the Missus about that, air brakes and tug tests are her thing *giggity* :biggrin:
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

OKkayak wrote: Aug 12th, 2021, 1:36 am
MAPearce wrote: Aug 11th, 2021, 3:52 pm

Does it have air brakes, or air over hydraulic? Can you do a tug test *giggity* on air over hydraulic?

Hmmm, have to ask the Missus about that, air brakes and tug tests are her thing *giggity* :biggrin:

Class 5 trucks can have air brakes but good luck with a tug test . They're used on articulated vehicles to test the operation of trailer brakes ...
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Here is what the truck is, compared to the photo from Castanet.

Compare the grills.
Capture 3.JPG

That would be a 3 ton with vacuum assisted hydraulic brakes and probably a 5 spd. trans, with a 2 speed axel or and automatic.
Attachments
Capture2.JPG
Capture.JPG
Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “Central Okanagan”