Parking at KGH

dsldriver
Generalissimo Postalot

Parking at KGH

Post by dsldriver »

Parking at KGH is and always has been a problem. Not just for staff, but for people trying to get there.

Why can't the whiners ride a bus to and from work and save themselves the frustration. Obviously they can't all do it, but the ones that are on and off shift during the day really don't have an excuse. They create their own issue!!! If Interior Health was to work with BC Transit and the city to make sure the service is there when needed, there would be no excuse. Right now there are two routes that will get them anywhere in town relatively quickly and they wouldn't have to worry about parking their cars.

The plus side to this is that then all people that are rushing someone to the hospital would have access to that parking.

If everyone is so damned worried about the environment and what's happening around us, they need to start looking at more eco-friendly modes of transportation.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... l-Hospital
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Parking at KGH

Post by Fancy »

dsldriver wrote: Aug 24th, 2021, 7:31 am Parking at KGH is and always has been a problem. Not just for staff, but for people trying to get there.

Why can't the whiners ride a bus to and from work and save themselves the frustration. Obviously they can't all do it, but the ones that are on and off shift during the day really don't have an excuse. They create their own issue!!! If Interior Health was to work with BC Transit and the city to make sure the service is there when needed, there would be no excuse. Right now there are two routes that will get them anywhere in town relatively quickly and they wouldn't have to worry about parking their cars.

The plus side to this is that then all people that are rushing someone to the hospital would have access to that parking.

If everyone is so damned worried about the environment and what's happening around us, they need to start looking at more eco-friendly modes of transportation.
Have you looked at the bus schedules? I tried taking the bus to work and it certainly didn't work out for me and my work hours. People work long hours and I can understand not wanting to add more time for travel if it can be avoided.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dsldriver
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dsldriver »

I have looked at the bus schedule. There are two main routes that go by there all day.

And someone who works long hours really shouldn't be gettign in a car and driving home after work. That's fatigue. At least if they fall asleep on the bus, people don't die.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I live within 30 minute walk to kgh so anytime I have either appointment or visiting someone, I walk.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

From Calgary originally and recall parking being an issue at pretty much every hospital there. Hospitals all seem to expand year after year and some of the infrastructure doesn't keep up. That being said, I understand what the staff there are saying, no solution for them in the short term unfortunately.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

dsldriver wrote: Aug 24th, 2021, 7:54 am I have looked at the bus schedule. There are two main routes that go by there all day.

And someone who works long hours really shouldn't be gettign in a car and driving home after work. That's fatigue. At least if they fall asleep on the bus, people don't die.
Going by there isn't the same as getting there. And I had no problem driving home after work and never caused nor been in an accident.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Has parking ever NOT been an issue at KGH? The existing staff parkade was oversold the day it opened and you know it took at least a decade of complaints before they coughed up the money to build it.

I worked at KGH back in 2000. Even then, I had to park 6+ blocks away as it was only a 1-year job and the anticipated wait-list time for a parking pass was over a year. Seems nothing has changed. Starting to believe that it never will.
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

Take the bus, are you dreaming ? When someone has worked a 12 hour shift do you really think for a moment that they would use a bus that might take twice the time versus using their vehicle ?
What percentage of the hospital staff even live in Kelowna ?
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

one wheel wrote: Aug 24th, 2021, 9:03 am Take the bus, are you dreaming ? When someone has worked a 12 hour shift do you really think for a moment that they would use a bus that might take twice the time versus using their vehicle ?
I looked into it when I worked there. For me, taking the bus was a 1.75hr "journey" each way. Approx 1hr of riding time, 30min of waiting time (waiting for transfer, got to be at the stop a few min early) and 15 min of walking as the bus that went right past KGH ment another transfer and it was quicker to walk. Car was a 20min drive and a 15 min walk due to lack of parking. Saved me at least 2hrs of commute time every day.
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

Keep in mind that like cities, parking is a source of revenue for hospitals.
KGH just paid 9 million for the piece of property across the street, bordering Glenwood/Pandosy.
They announced a proposal for parking, once it is developed.
It also has to be rezoned.
Ace Storman

Post by Ace Storman »

Maybe a short term solution....KGH can lease a large portion of the Prospera parking lot (owned by the City of Kelowna) for staff parking. Provide their staff with parking passes as required. KGH can provide a transit shuttle directly - none stop to and from the hospital. Could be a win win...decreases parking pressure / demand around the hospital while providing ample secure parking for staff and a safe commute to and from the hospital.
This might be a solution that's a band aid fix until Interior Health gets it ducks in order and builds a proper parkade to house its staff and visitors alike.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

TylerM4 wrote: Aug 24th, 2021, 10:19 am
one wheel wrote: Aug 24th, 2021, 9:03 am Take the bus, are you dreaming ? When someone has worked a 12 hour shift do you really think for a moment that they would use a bus that might take twice the time versus using their vehicle ?
I looked into it when I worked there. For me, taking the bus was a 1.75hr "journey" each way. Approx 1hr of riding time, 30min of waiting time (waiting for transfer, got to be at the stop a few min early) and 15 min of walking as the bus that went right past KGH ment another transfer and it was quicker to walk. Car was a 20min drive and a 15 min walk due to lack of parking. Saved me at least 2hrs of commute time every day.
Plus if you needed to pick up groceries on the way home it wasn’t monster hassle.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

Leasing the Prospera parking lot might not be workable.
In the sweetherart deal the city made with Graham Lee, owner of Prospera, the city gave him the two chunks of land to do whatever.One is now a residential tower.
Lee announced he was getting ready to build on the parking lot,although that might be slowed to to the economy.
Unlikely he would agree to a parking proposal.
One of the key problems for KGH was the hairbrained idea to construct a tower downtown, a brain fart of then mayor Walter Gray and city manager Ron Matussi, so KGH managers could meet face to face, (the explanation at the time).People were also told KGH employees would sell their cars and live downtown [icon_lol2.gif]
More parking was added to the parkade, not enough, and at atrocious rates for staff.
The facilities on Kirschner Road were more than adequate, with plenty of parking.
It then sat empty while KGH sought a tenant, while they continued to pay.
We now have the 9 million dollar property that KGH says it will cost more millions to develop into parking :200:
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

"Bump"

We have has reason to pick up and drop of people at KGH recently and I must say whoever designed the front entrance area is an Idiot!

What a Clusterduck!

Only enough room for about 6 vehicles and that depends on how intelligent they are when parking. (mostly not very)

As an example while I was waiting for the person to be brought out today I saw 2 people walk up the the exit door which has a really big sigh saying "Exit Only". Both stood there expecting the door to open.

Had to point it out to 1 girl before she moved to the entry only door.
sign.jpg
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ it’s hard not to laugh incredibly loud, when people don’t know the difference between push and pull.

Return to “Central Okanagan”