Bernard... Normal....

CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Bernard... Normal....

Post by CrystalCity »

Mrmarvingardens wrote: Sep 8th, 2021, 11:00 am It appears that some have missed the point of my earlier post.
The population dynamics of Kelowna, Calgary, Italy, and Paris differ greatly.
Kelowna population (visitors) shrinks greatly outside of summer months, with residents emptying out for warmer climates.
Calgary is cosmopolitan with a much larger population; Italians rejoice when tourists leave, and have now have introduced fees for tourists possibly to control tourist numbers.
France in general, Paris in particular marches to its own drummer.(Case in point it allows buildings no higher than 12 storeys.Kelowna certainly doesent want that [icon_lol2.gif]
Kelowna residents are a different mix.
The population dynamics of Italy differ greatly. Sicily (namely Palermo) is not like Milan, Venice, Rome, or Naples. Each of those cities has their own unique identity (historically they were each their own kingdoms until the unification of Italy). Grouping all of France is not a fair comparison either. Paris is not Nantes (The Eiffel Tower is 81 stories, by the way, and there's a business district across the Seine with skyscrapers about 50 Stories high). The attitudes are different, yet all the cities mentioned here accommodate a street life. Kelowna also has a population of diverse European and Asian cultures, and can do more incorporate Indigenous community traditions. Heck, even Victoria Street in the Loops has more street life in the off season. MOOSE JAW Saskatchewan has more street life. Why? Because these places bring together their local population to foster a sense of united community, DURING the off season.
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

What's with these comparisons of Kelowna to Paris or Italian cities..........downtown Kelowna does not and will NEVER even come close to the "inner harbor" of Victoria.

.........what's that phrase........"lipstick on a pig". The wrong people running the show here who have no clue.......top to bottom.
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

Sad, but true. Victoria's inner harbour is something within Kelowna's capability but vision seems to be lacking, if not blurred. Just keep the Boardwalk quietly "peaceful" in the off season because that's how to attract "world class conventions". There's too much elitist NYMBYism without the fostering of a community pride. When ever someone what to make some noise about the opportunities here, they are quite literally told to quiet down and stop being too loud.
T-T-L

Post by T-T-L »

They should try closing down pandosy and doing this between KLO/Raymer in Kelowna's lower mission next time.
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

:smt045 Also? Yes. Both areas, however downtown has enough parkades to handle the lost parking spots.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

They should only close the first 2 blocks from Bernard/Abbot to Bernard/Pandosy. Beyond Pandosy (where Starbucks used to be), it dies down a lot even with the street closures. Those parking stalls allow for people to zip in/out quickly into stores to pick up something.

I'm not against the closure but think it shouldn't go out as far as it does.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Scrobins94 wrote: Sep 11th, 2021, 9:32 pm They should only close the first 2 blocks from Bernard/Abbot to Bernard/Pandosy. Beyond Pandosy (where Starbucks used to be), it dies down a lot even with the street closures. Those parking stalls allow for people to zip in/out quickly into stores to pick up something.

I'm not against the closure but think it shouldn't go out as far as it does.
Thinking of shopping this way won't help downtown ... when we can slow people down, give them time to check out the window displays, enjoy some music, entertain the kids while the parents wander inside then businesses downtown will see more sales ...

Zipping in and out, might as well hit Amazon ...
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

I slightly disagree. Zipping in/out is still faster than Amazon next day. Making it more difficult to go downtown by having to go to parkade and walk a few blocks, that might encourage people to go to Amazon. Of course this is just my opinion.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Scrobins94 wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 11:44 am I slightly disagree. Zipping in/out is still faster than Amazon next day. Making it more difficult to go downtown by having to go to parkade and walk a few blocks, that might encourage people to go to Amazon. Of course this is just my opinion.
The mall doesn't encourage someone to "zip in/out" ... otherwise putting all those businesses together wouldn't be of benefit to anyone ... and if everyone is just a one-stop shopper you'd be creating more vehicle traffic which I know we all love and adore ...
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

The Mall also has a few anchor stores. The Bay, Marks, Old Navy, Sport Chek, and Best Buy. There's no anchor store(s) downtown. People likely spend as much time driving around the parking lot of T-Orchard Park, as they would parking at a Parkade and walking downtown. Having major name retail anchors at One Water Street (Banana Republic), Water Street by the Park (H&M), and the Bernard Block (Club Monaco) would be a major pull in addition to extending the road closure (even if it means spreading out the walking distance). The transit exchange is near by too, and who wants to wait around there with nothing to do?
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

Discussing a car free downtown brings back memories from City of Kelowna thinking.
A number of years ago, the city had dreams of making the downtown a financial centre, whatever that means.
They encouraged banks to locate in the city centre, which they did.
Problem: banks don't encourage shoppers.People do their business, then leave.They also have set and often restricted hours.
The banks, on major real estate are still there.
Council used the same thinking about the Innovation Centre and Interior Health.Block off the library and eliminate a small park.The building now sits mostly empty.
I.H., mainly a 9 to 5 building.Employees come and go, and didn't move downtown as anticipated.
Imagine if the city had got involved in purchasing the old paramount theatre! A performing arts centre or similar venue to draw the public.Now a brewery and donut and coffee shop.
On the scenic waterfront, a tourist booth selling hats and trinkets made offshore, and a private yacht club blotting the foreshore with boats, tents and barbed wire and,subsidized by the taxpayer :135:
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

The Cactus Club management was thinking when they purchased space at the Yacht Club. It's convenient being right across from the Kelowna Community Theatre.

The Banks being located Downtown at least create pedestrian traffic during the day when staff go out to grab lunch or coffee during their breaks. Had they not gone down there, the element during the day might be even murkier than it currently is. I'm not sure which building is the one that currently lies mostly empty. The old Interior Health or the Innovation Centre?

I'm glad to see the Fringe Festival is still plugging away this year.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Mrmarvingardens wrote: Sep 14th, 2021, 11:39 am Discussing a car free downtown brings back memories from City of Kelowna thinking.
A number of years ago, the city had dreams of making the downtown a financial centre, whatever that means.
They encouraged banks to locate in the city centre, which they did.
Problem: banks don't encourage shoppers.People do their business, then leave.They also have set and often restricted hours.
The banks, on major real estate are still there.
Council used the same thinking about the Innovation Centre and Interior Health.Block off the library and eliminate a small park.The building now sits mostly empty.
I.H., mainly a 9 to 5 building.Employees come and go, and didn't move downtown as anticipated.
Imagine if the city had got involved in purchasing the old paramount theatre! A performing arts centre or similar venue to draw the public.Now a brewery and donut and coffee shop.
On the scenic waterfront, a tourist booth selling hats and trinkets made offshore, and a private yacht club blotting the foreshore with boats, tents and barbed wire and,subsidized by the taxpayer :135:
Agree with you on so many levels. When I look at the Kelowna of today compared to that of 10 years ago.... I'd say we're more busy downtown. Not sure if necessarily better.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Bernard is back to normal. Yesterday I drove down it at 7:10 am. There was a homeless camp right in front of Timmy's no less then 5 campers and they even had a four speaker stero set up on the sidewalk. Must have been a dance the night before.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

T-T-L wrote: Sep 9th, 2021, 12:52 pm They should try closing down pandosy and doing this between KLO/Raymer in Kelowna's lower mission next time.
I like the idea!! Although want one of the Mayors making Bernard a destination?? :admin:

Return to “Central Okanagan”