Blame the Victim Excuse the Perp

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Blame the Victim Excuse the Perp

Post by GordonH »

JayByrd wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 4:38 pm
GordonH wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 2:35 pm

Not sure if those being dropped off would be able or willing to walk 160km... or know which direction to walk in (especially when whiteout condition come along).
If you want them dead, just say so. And if you'd be willing to pull the trigger each time, say that too.
Actually I want the justice system to do it job and stop giving out free passes to thieves.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

GordonH wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 7:55 pm
JayByrd wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 4:38 pm

If you want them dead, just say so. And if you'd be willing to pull the trigger each time, say that too.
Actually I want the justice system to do it job and stop giving out free passes to thieves.
I'm curious if the same sentiment of justice and accountability is applicable to Trump in the US for Canadian conservatives?
dgb

Post by dgb »

69cutlass wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 6:33 pm It's not the homeless that people are against. It's the criminal element that everyone has a problem with. If you break the law willingly the reason why doesn't matter. You need punished and a chance to be rehabilitated. Repeat offenders need lengthy sentences.
Well .. unfortunately, the criminal behaviour being discussed here is inextricably linked to homelessness, substance abuse, and mental illness. So, yeah, it has everything to do with homelessness.

Someone looking for a quick buck for their next fix isn't thinking about the long term consequences. Sure we can lock away the offender, maybe rehabilitate them, maybe not, but root of the problem remains: how do we bridge the gap between the have and the have-nots?

If you think crime in Kelowna is bad now, watch what happens as that gap continues to widen.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 7:59 pm
GordonH wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 7:55 pm

I'm curious if the same sentiment of justice and accountability is applicable to Trump in the US for Canadian conservatives?
Well since neither trump or jt are currently in jail for any illegal actions they were involved in, I suspect they to are getting a free pass.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

GordonH wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 8:09 pm

Well since neither trump or jt are currently in jail for any illegal actions they were involved in, I suspect they to are getting a free pass.

Good one. [icon_lol2.gif]
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

GordonH wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 8:09 pm

I'm not gonna lie. That was a response of a willey individual. Cheers.
jcdenton
Übergod

Post by jcdenton »

JLives wrote: Sep 25th, 2021, 8:37 am How bad will this have to get before it clicks into people that dealing with social issues and providing housing goes is far more effective than arresting people for stealing? Why are they stealing? Until we deal with that it will continue to get worse. Reducing income inequality, providing affordable housing, housing for the homeless and a rapid expansion of mental health and addiction services is how you solve this issue. Until then lock your doors.
Correct answer ^
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

JLives wrote: ↑Sep 25th, 2021, 8:37 am
How bad will this have to get before it clicks into people that dealing with social issues and providing housing goes is far more effective than arresting people for stealing? Why are they stealing
Talk to the creeps around the Enterprise rd. neighborhood and they'll tell you to eff of f..

in short , they don't want "rules" or structure.. That would take effort . They want things given to them without a string attached , otherwise they'll just take it .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

jcdenton wrote: Sep 28th, 2021, 5:34 pm
JLives wrote: Sep 25th, 2021, 8:37 am How bad will this have to get before it clicks into people that dealing with social issues and providing housing goes is far more effective than arresting people for stealing? Why are they stealing? Until we deal with that it will continue to get worse. Reducing income inequality, providing affordable housing, housing for the homeless and a rapid expansion of mental health and addiction services is how you solve this issue. Until then lock your doors.
Correct answer ^
So how exactly do you provide housing to people who sell all the furniture to buy drugs and turn the place into a heroin den and trash it. If you try and make them follow rules they will simply leave and steal stuff to survive, so i say give them what they want more drugs lots of them eventually the problem will sort its self out
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
jcdenton
Übergod

Post by jcdenton »

Boosted632 wrote: Sep 28th, 2021, 6:15 pm So how exactly do you provide housing to people who sell all the furniture to buy drugs and turn the place into a heroin den and trash it. If you try and make them follow rules they will simply leave and steal stuff to survive, so i say give them what they want more drugs lots of them eventually the problem will sort its self out
Giving out more drugs does not solve the problem, because it doesn't solve the reasons why people turn to drugs in the first place.
All you are proposing is placing a really poor bandaid over a gaping wound. It doesn't solve the root problem.
When you create social infrastructure, fix wealth inequality, create social safety nets, apply community policing, and decriminalize drugs, it slowly reduces drug use, crime and homelessness. Its not a quick fix though, its a solution for future generations. People who are currently already in the depths of despair will have far greater difficulty pulling themselves out than their future peers, but only if you start with a solution today.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

As the topic states "Blame the Victim Excuse the Perp" exactly what this topic has turned into.

Consider this, there isn't one problem here. Thus there isn't one solution. Some, with assistance, training, opportunities would flourish. Others, a complete waste of time.

Isn't there a saying : "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime" Well that is the case for some, but there's a segment that would sell the fishing tackle for drugs and continue to steal enough food to maintain life while stealing more for more drugs.
Last edited by my5cents on Sep 29th, 2021, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

As I've said. Incarcerate and provide addiction and mental health counseling for those that steal and break the law. Now we help those that truly need and deserve it
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

69cutlass wrote: Sep 29th, 2021, 4:13 pm As I've said. Incarcerate and provide addiction and mental health counseling for those that steal and break the law. Now we help those that truly need and deserve it
I think it starts with "instutionalization"

Give the people who want a chance at a normal life the shelter , support and skills needed .. If they succeed , they can go , with all they help they deserve ..

If they don't , they stay and make license plates instead of a mess of the neighbourhood
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

MAPearce wrote: Sep 29th, 2021, 5:23 pm
69cutlass wrote: Sep 29th, 2021, 4:13 pm As I've said. Incarcerate and provide addiction and mental health counseling for those that steal and break the law. Now we help those that truly need and deserve it

Give the people who want a chance at a normal life the shelter , support and skills needed .. If they succeed , they can go , with all they help they deserve ..

If they don't , they stay and make license plates instead of a mess of the neighbourhood
YES! This PC kid gloves experiment has gone on long enough. It is not working.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

gardengirl wrote: Sep 29th, 2021, 5:51 pm
MAPearce wrote: Sep 29th, 2021, 5:23 pm

YES! This PC kid gloves experiment has gone on long enough. It is not working.
Yeah . Not to admonish the poster I quoted but I think the word "incarcerate" is a bit too strong IMO .

Good people who need help are getting labelled instead of help . Bad people are getting "help" instead of labelled ..

My5 said the same thing and I get where he/she is going ..

Point is that there is a line but how do we draw them ?

Return to “Social Concerns”