Ski hills face labour shortage

Necro
Übergod

Re: Ski hills face labour shortage

Post by Necro »

Stonebridge. lmbo. Didn't ~C go bankrupt over that?

Anywho. The seasonal workers go to Big White to party.
Did you know 1 of 3 Biden voters are as dumb as the other 2? #LetsGoBrandon!
firsttimecaller
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by firsttimecaller »

Vacancyrate wrote: Oct 29th, 2021, 12:02 pm Now Big White is complaining about snow plowing!

They cant bring in Mexican workers on roads with snow on them so the Government needs to spend more tax-dollars so a LUXURY SKI RESORT that uses foreign labour can sell french fries faster to tourists.

Micheal J and Big White sucks more from the Government than the welfare office.
People live there year round, others own property there, there are also many businesses there. All of these people pay a significant amount property tax each year. As such, it is not unreasonable to expect basic road maintenance. Talking to locals the road was particularly bad that day. Snow and ice, even cows on the road just to make things interesting. I'm a confident and well seasoned winter driver, however others including the professional driver that wound up in the ditch obviously found things to be more dodgy than your average winter day thanks to the lack of road maintenance.

it is just a community that values fun, outdoors, and generally being active. Whether you live there year round, drive from Kelowna for a hike or a snowshoe, or fly in from across the globe for a winter of skiing or snowboarding there is something of value to offer for everyone. From an inexpensive hike or snow shoe to a stay in luxury accommodation and everything in between the community is a great place with something for anyone who just wants to be active and enjoy some outdoor fun.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Oct 30th, 2021, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I've removed your personal attacks. Tone it down.
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

firsttimecaller wrote: Oct 30th, 2021, 1:26 pm People live there year round, others own property there, there are also many businesses there. All of these people pay a significant amount property tax each year. As such, it is not unreasonable to expect basic road maintenance. Talking to locals the road was particularly bad that day.
Taxpayers subsidize Big Whites business model.

If you chose to live on a mountain top 2200m above sea level in British Columbia you should expect to deal with bad roads and are occasionally "particularity bad days". Seriously guys. YOU LIVE ON A MOUNTAIN TOP.

Big White can hire their own snowplow if they want.

The people who live in Joe Rich have given their LIVES through years and years of "gotta rush home after the pow day" traffic accidents so Big White can sell french fries to hungry skiers. Coked up Big White crowd all rushing back to Kelowna at the start of the day and end of the day so it's funny to read them complaining about bad roads when their business literally increases the volume on that highway to dangerous levels and their customers drive like banshees to get to and from the POW.

So who's applying to be a dishwasher for $16/hr at the new Taco place up there?

Any takers?
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Ski hills face labor shortage is the thread topic. :topic:
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

It's not just the ski hills facing labour shortages, as I was out the other day running some errands, and I've never seen so many help wanted signs in windows all over the place.

These were all within Kelowna and quite a cross section of business types.

I guess the employer attacks will have to be expanded beyond Big White and eateries around town. :smt045
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Again Kelowna employers pay lousy wages in a region with exorbitant living expenses.

When mom and dad can't afford a home there and have to move away, their children can't continue living there and working for these minimum wage companies.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

stuphoto wrote: Oct 30th, 2021, 8:31 pm Again Kelowna employers pay lousy wages in a region with exorbitant living expenses.

When mom and dad can't afford a home there and have to move away, their children can't continue living there and working for these minimum wage companies.
You make it sound like young people moving away to get ahead in life is something new. :135:

It's been happening since at least the 70's when I got here, and quite likely even before that, yet back then houses were far cheaper, but there simply wasn't much in the way of work, if you didn't want to work in orchards.

Mind you young people in many other places did the same thing. I know peers from Toronto left, many from the east coast left, many left farms on the prairies, and so on. Heck I have kids all over the place who left for the same reason, Ontario, Alberta, BC, and the USA.

When you are young and healthy you do what you have to do to get ahead, at least that's what many did, as opposed to spending their time on a public forum acting like the world owes them a living as some do here.

I had someone like that in my life for about twenty years and it was exhausting.

Where does anyone get the notion that mom and dad have to be able to buy a house here, and be able to provide their offspring with little or no rent, so that they can work low paying jobs?

Everyone complains about prices here, but they are far worse in Vancouver, yet my kid owns a nice house that's just a few years old. He did what he had to do, and worked very remote and isolated for five years, even worked the rigs for a time with his brother to earn his down payment.

Don't gripe about the wages here, do something about it, whatever it takes to get ahead. No one promised it would be easy as some clearly expect. Find a job elsewhere that pays well, or if you possess skills that there's a market for, go it on your own and keep all the profits for yourself.

I'm honestly not trying to ruffle feathers here, but rather just telling it like it is.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

^^^^ Spot on :up: :up:
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

http://bigwhite.applicantstack.com/x/openings

66 postings.

Dishwasher job in Vancouver for 50k a year.

...or you can make minimum wage at Big White and sleep on the floor of a condo.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Vacancyrate wrote: Oct 31st, 2021, 11:54 am http://bigwhite.applicantstack.com/x/openings

66 postings.

Dishwasher job in Vancouver for 50k a year.

...or you can make minimum wage at Big White and sleep on the floor of a condo.

i wonder why the fire dept does not stop the over housing per room at big white, its illegal and againts fire bylaw rules,
but hey, they are all in bed with each other in this town even if laws are broken and they know it
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

Wow Truth, I think you may have hit a nail on the head with this one.
Occupancy limits.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Urban Cowboy wrote: Oct 30th, 2021, 10:32 pm

You make it sound like young people moving away to get ahead in life is something new. :135:

It's been happening since at least the 70's when I got here, and quite likely even before that, yet back then houses were far cheaper, but there simply wasn't much in the way of work, if you didn't want to work in orchards.

Mind you young people in many other places did the same thing. I know peers from Toronto left, many from the east coast left, many left farms on the prairies, and so on. Heck I have kids all over the place who left for the same reason, Ontario, Alberta, BC, and the USA.

When you are young and healthy you do what you have to do to get ahead, at least that's what many did, as opposed to spending their time on a public forum acting like the world owes them a living as some do here.

I had someone like that in my life for about twenty years and it was exhausting.

Where does anyone get the notion that mom and dad have to be able to buy a house here, and be able to provide their offspring with little or no rent, so that they can work low paying jobs?

Everyone complains about prices here, but they are far worse in Vancouver, yet my kid owns a nice house that's just a few years old. He did what he had to do, and worked very remote and isolated for five years, even worked the rigs for a time with his brother to earn his down payment.

Don't gripe about the wages here, do something about it, whatever it takes to get ahead. No one promised it would be easy as some clearly expect. Find a job elsewhere that pays well, or if you possess skills that there's a market for, go it on your own and keep all the profits for yourself.

I'm honestly not trying to ruffle feathers here, but rather just telling it like it is.
This is probably one of the best posts in recent times. That being said there are some people who choose not to own a home or have 2.5 children, a station wagon and a dog.
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

65 jobs still posted.
JosefT

Post by JosefT »

Places that rely on international workers, can kiss their staff goodbye.

I just finished travelling abroad, the world is avoiding Canada.

If it needs to be explained to you why mandatory medical segregation is evil, you are a psychopath. Canada just voted for MORE psychopathy.

And the WORLD knows it.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

JosefT wrote: Nov 23rd, 2021, 9:40 amIf it needs to be explained to you why mandatory medical segregation is evil, you are a psychopath. Canada just voted for MORE psychopathy.

And the WORLD knows it.
You sound like another one of those death-worshipping plague rats who would gleefully see everyone around them die horrible deaths just so they could avoid a trivial inconvenience.

You have a simple choice: get the vaccine and have lots of freedom to do activities, or choose to not get the vaccine and be restricted. No-one is forcing you to become vaccinated, you always have a choice to not vaccinate. But with any choice comes consequences, and with every right comes responsibilities.

If you choose not to vaccinate, you must suffer the consequences of that choice - to be highly restricted as to where you can go. This is a well-established medical technique, and has been used for millennia. To expect otherwise is to be no different than a child throwing a puerile temper tantrum for not being able to eat their cake, and to have it as well.

If you are refusing vaccination, then squall like a little baby over losing your job or not being able to shop, then you are shooting yourself in the foot. You made that choice, you must suffer the consequences. It’s no different than demanding to drive a vehicle without ever taking any training or passing a driver’s test for a license. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

And it is those who refuse to mask up or vaccinate who are exhibiting sociopathic and narcissistic behaviour, who feel that their right to avoid trivial inconveniences are more important than other people’s lives. That is, after all, the definition of narcissism - putting yourself ahead of others in a selfish manner, to put your own much more trivial needs above much more serious needs of others (like life itself).

Inconvenience is not oppression.

Anyone who wants to be a part of a society needs to understand that this participation also comes with responsibilities to that society. If you cannot execute your responsibilities to that society - by keeping others safe by contributing to herd immunity through your own vaccinated state - then you have no right to be in that society. Get the hell out and find somewhere else to be.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.

Return to “Central Okanagan”