Radio Host Sues The Lizard

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Re: Radio Host Sues The Lizard

Post by Anonymous123 »

AlienSoldier wrote: Nov 25th, 2021, 5:42 am I love how people are saying her character meant it was ok to treat her this way. Does this mean if you wear a mini-skirt you are asking for it? The answer is "NO" to those who are confused. It's a workplace, your an adult, you have responsibility for what you say and what you do. Take responsibility for your actions and behaviours.
👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

The probable outcome? Settling out of a court for an undisclosed amount without either party admitting anything.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

I'm still trying to figure out why it's okay for grown men to excuse bad behaviour. Are they too stupid, too arrogent, or allowed to act this way cause using their brains is just too hard. As usual it's nice and easy to blame the victim and don't go giving me examples of it happeining in the reversal. If one can't research the labour laws then the only one to blame is themselves.
Again, the allegations are just that allegations. To date NOTHING has been proven to be fact.
How will all of those defending the accuser here act if her allegations are proven to be false and maybe even actually lies? Should she be the one to then be sued for making false allegations if there isn't enough actual evidence to prove her case? What are the labour laws to protect employers from defamation from false allegations?
How about we let the justice system hear ALL the evidence and render a decision in this case before the court of unpopular opinion here lynch a possibly innocent employer.
Innocent until PROVEN guilty is still a cornerstone of law.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

cv23 wrote: Nov 25th, 2021, 8:46 am
I'm still trying to figure out why it's okay for grown men to excuse bad behaviour. Are they too stupid, too arrogent, or allowed to act this way cause using their brains is just too hard. As usual it's nice and easy to blame the victim and don't go giving me examples of it happeining in the reversal. If one can't research the labour laws then the only one to blame is themselves.
Again, the allegations are just that allegations. To date NOTHING has been proven to be fact.
How will all of those defending the accuser here act if her allegations are proven to be false and maybe even actually lies? Should she be the one to then be sued for making false allegations if there isn't enough actual evidence to prove her case? What are the labour laws to protect employers from defamation from false allegations?
How about we let the justice system hear ALL the evidence and render a decision in this case before the court of unpopular opinion here lynch a possibly innocent employer.
Innocent until PROVEN guilty is still a cornerstone of law.
Why is your first reaction that women are lying about their abuse? What does she have to gain from her character being assassinated in the court of public opinion? Who would want to go through that? She has stated she went to management to try to stop it, and they did nothing. Well not nothing, her manager publicly said she had an STD when she was dealing with a case of shingles. This was after she tried to stop it through proper channels. When we talk about rape culture, this is what we're talking about and it needs to stop.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

JLives wrote: Nov 25th, 2021, 9:17 amWhat does she have to gain from her character being assassinated in the court of public opinion?
Money
Who would want to go through that?
A person who likes money.

PS: I'm not saying this is what's happening, just one of theories since you asked what she can gain from it.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Even Steven wrote: Nov 25th, 2021, 9:21 am
JLives wrote: Nov 25th, 2021, 9:17 amWhat does she have to gain from her character being assassinated in the court of public opinion?
Money
Who would want to go through that?
A person who likes money.

PS: I'm not saying this is what's happening, just one of theories since you asked what she can gain from it.
Well I hope she gets it. They could have stopped harassing her when she asked them to and not have had to go to court at all.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

JLives wrote: Nov 25th, 2021, 9:29 amWell I hope she gets it.
Well, I hope she gets it too - provided that she didn't make it up or made a big deal out of nothing. Time will tell.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

They could have stopped harassing her when she asked them to and not have had to go to court at all.
How do you or any of us positively know her allegations are in any way true? Did you personally witness any of it?
What if nothing happened at all, she made no complaint to management and she is fabricating it all just for the money? Is that grounds for retaliatory court action by the employer? Will you be just as happy to see her sued for false allegations if that was proven to be the case? Remember she filed a civil suit not a criminal one so money is the goal not imprisonment or other form of punishment for any possible wrong doings.

I asked before but got no answers about how long a victim should endure harassment or how many occurrences of it they should endure before reporting to the authorities or takes legal action?

How about we let the courts sort out what is real and what isn't and remember that everyone is INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt?
Last edited by cv23 on Nov 25th, 2021, 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
bidwell2
Fledgling

Post by bidwell2 »

Gotta love it, somebody levels an accusation and it's automatically true.

Have we really come any further than the great witch hunts hundreds of years ago in Britain? Just jazzed up with modern twists.

A toxic workplace? Maybe. I wouldn't believe it until one or more one persons comes forward in a court of law and proves it to the satisfaction of a judge and jury. It's the best thing we have to determine culpability at this time, and for all the problems in the legal system, it's a far sight better than the social nightmare called the internet.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

bidwell2 wrote: Nov 25th, 2021, 10:40 am Gotta love it, somebody levels an accusation and it's automatically true.

Have we really come any further than the great witch hunts hundreds of years ago in Britain? Just jazzed up with modern twists.

A toxic workplace? Maybe. I wouldn't believe it until one or more one persons comes forward in a court of law and proves it to the satisfaction of a judge and jury. It's the best thing we have to determine culpability at this time, and for all the problems in the legal system, it's a far sight better than the social nightmare called the internet.
:hailjo:
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

This is a much better article on what occurred. https://globalnews.ca/news/8386962/miso ... GWlZjAq9X0
The Notice of Claim states that Milne left a longtime radio career in Ontario for the Kelowna station in 2014 when it was called Power 104.7 with the expectation she was to bring the sexually empowered character she honed to the valley.

Immediately, she noticed a difference in workplace culture.

“At work alcohol consumption and intoxication was commonplace, acceptable, and promoted,” the Notice of Claim reads. “Sexualized comments and innuendos from male employees toward female employees, including the plaintiff, were acceptable and encouraged both on-air and off-air.”

The Notice of Claim also states that while derogatory and demeaning comments about women employees were accepted, when women made the same comments about men, they were chastised.

If women complained about these comments or inappropriate behaviour, Milne alleges that power and intimidation were used to quell the commentary.

All of this, Milne alleges, got worse during the period of COVID-19 related layoffs when men who worked at the station “inexplicably directed animosity and issues relating to job insecurity toward their female counterparts in the form of repeated disdainful and undermining comments.”

These comments, she alleges, because less jovial and resulted in nuanced microaggressions toward her and other women who worked at the lizard.

When Milne brought her complaints to the general manager of the station, she claims they fell on deaf ears.

She alleges he responded by sending her a video of a noticeably drunk colleague at another radio station speaking at a public event and making fun of her with misogynistic overtones. The video was later circulated.

All the other plaintiffs, she claims, were involved in similar moments of bullying. One example she lists is that when she had shingles, one of the defendants conflated her on-air personality with the condition she was facing and said it was actually gonorrhea.

When she tried to correct him, he laughed and walked away.

According to the Notice of Claim, when Milne brought all of these examples to the president of Pattison Media, the company acknowledged there were “significant cultural issues” at the Lizard and other Kelowna Pattison stations and sensitivity training was brought in.

She alleges it made little difference. In fact, according to the document, she was asked to tone down her sexualized image and offer up “a nice mom” instead.

In turn, according to the claim, the men she worked with continued to broadcast ads that were sexualized and misogynistic, highlighting an ongoing double standard.

In the end, she sent the promotional ads to the company president with the subject headline, “misogyny alive and well in Kelowna.” She says she didn’t get a reply.

On Jan. 4, the company offered her an optional termination which she rejected. She worked from home for two weeks due to COVID-19 isolation and then returned to work for one day before leaving for a medical leave of absence “that was triggered by returning to the toxic workplace.”

She is now on long-term medical leave.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

JLives wrote: Nov 25th, 2021, 10:52 am This is a much better article on what occurred. https://globalnews.ca/news/8386962/miso ... GWlZjAq9X0
The Notice of Claim states that Milne left a longtime radio career in Ontario for the Kelowna station in 2014 when it was called Power 104.7 with the expectation she was to bring the sexually empowered character she honed to the valley.

Immediately, she noticed a difference in workplace culture.

“At work alcohol consumption and intoxication was commonplace, acceptable, and promoted,” the Notice of Claim reads. “Sexualized comments and innuendos from male employees toward female employees, including the plaintiff, were acceptable and encouraged both on-air and off-air.”

The Notice of Claim also states that while derogatory and demeaning comments about women employees were accepted, when women made the same comments about men, they were chastised.

If women complained about these comments or inappropriate behaviour, Milne alleges that power and intimidation were used to quell the commentary.

All of this, Milne alleges, got worse during the period of COVID-19 related layoffs when men who worked at the station “inexplicably directed animosity and issues relating to job insecurity toward their female counterparts in the form of repeated disdainful and undermining comments.”

These comments, she alleges, because less jovial and resulted in nuanced microaggressions toward her and other women who worked at the lizard.

When Milne brought her complaints to the general manager of the station, she claims they fell on deaf ears.

She alleges he responded by sending her a video of a noticeably drunk colleague at another radio station speaking at a public event and making fun of her with misogynistic overtones. The video was later circulated.

All the other plaintiffs, she claims, were involved in similar moments of bullying. One example she lists is that when she had shingles, one of the defendants conflated her on-air personality with the condition she was facing and said it was actually gonorrhea.

When she tried to correct him, he laughed and walked away.

According to the Notice of Claim, when Milne brought all of these examples to the president of Pattison Media, the company acknowledged there were “significant cultural issues” at the Lizard and other Kelowna Pattison stations and sensitivity training was brought in.

She alleges it made little difference. In fact, according to the document, she was asked to tone down her sexualized image and offer up “a nice mom” instead.

In turn, according to the claim, the men she worked with continued to broadcast ads that were sexualized and misogynistic, highlighting an ongoing double standard.

In the end, she sent the promotional ads to the company president with the subject headline, “misogyny alive and well in Kelowna.” She says she didn’t get a reply.

On Jan. 4, the company offered her an optional termination which she rejected. She worked from home for two weeks due to COVID-19 isolation and then returned to work for one day before leaving for a medical leave of absence “that was triggered by returning to the toxic workplace.”

She is now on long-term medical leave.
Lots of ALLEGATIONS. Any true? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Legal matters should be left up to person like a judge who is trained and qualified to make such decisions about guilt or innocence not anonymous keyboard vigilantes on the internet .
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

AlienSoldier wrote: Nov 25th, 2021, 5:42 am Take responsibility for your actions and behaviours.
Ahh... when life imitates art.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

oldtrucker wrote: Nov 25th, 2021, 11:05 am
AlienSoldier wrote: Nov 25th, 2021, 5:42 am I love how people are saying her character meant it was ok to treat her this way. Does this mean if you wear a mini-skirt you are asking for it? The answer is "NO" to those who are confused. It's a workplace, your an adult, you have responsibility for what you say and what you do. Take responsibility for your actions and behaviours.
Totally agree. I would like to leave a comment on the miniskirt part though... A womans sexuality, her ability to make every man look at her while she is wearing that miniskirt is her superpower. ( has a expiry date after 35 ish but we wont get into that here). If the the alpha/strongest/richest/best looking man used his superpower and went all alpha on his co workers all day, that would be frowned upon...Just sayin'. Apples and oranges? Yes and no. Women know exactly what that miniskirt does....how powerful it is....maybe they shouldn't freak too much doing the high road thing when they got the exact result they actually sought.
Anyway ...carry on.
Glad you agree with my oldtrucker, I think we agree on a lot of things :). But I have seen women wear burqas and even sweats and guys will oogle them and make them feel uncomfortable. Some men, not all have a perception that their wants and needs come first, above and beyond whoever the other person is, especially if they are a women.
bernie428
Board Meister

Post by bernie428 »

I always find employee turnover a telling sign. They seem to have a lot.
As was pointed out, you can be geriatric and successful, so I don't get the old bag cashing in angle.
Brother Jake played 'The Champ' for years.
I guess it's okay to go slug the guy? I mean, he's a boxer, so anyone who works with him should be able to pound him, right?
Even if she played the vamp off air, I don't see how that gives every fat old creep the right to treat her like dirt.
And lastly, launching the suit is the death of her broadcasting career, so I doubt she took the move lightly.
Maybe she's not strong enough to be in the biz any more, but that doesn't give a boss a license to keep harassing her.
IF it's true, drum the scumbag out of the business, not her.

Some of you should never be put in charge of anyone ever again.

Return to “Central Okanagan”