Kelowna RCMP "retirements"

my5cents
Guru

Re: Kelowna RCMP "retirements"

Post by my5cents »

featfan wrote: Nov 24th, 2021, 1:12 pm No I do not think it works like that.
It says she retired from Kelowna RCMP in both stories on Castanet.
NOT retired from the RCMP.
I know in the USA they just get hired in the next place they apply to.
They work for the RCMP and are assigned to a certain division and a certain department or detachment within that division. When they retire, they retire from the RCMP.

If she left Kelowna to go to another RCMP detachment, she would be transferred, not retired. Seemed a bit young to be retiring (with a pension that is).

When hired they are hire by the force, they aren't hired by a local detachment.

She could apply to another police force. With today's scrutiny, her checkered past in Kelowna/the RCMP could reduce the possibility of further employment in policing, however.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

Thanks all for the information.
Quicker then the media reps from RCMP.
Still no call back.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

featfan wrote: Nov 26th, 2021, 11:50 am Thanks all for the information.
Quicker then the media reps from RCMP.
Still no call back.
You might need to pay $50 for an FOI request [icon_lol2.gif]
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
kefer

Post by kefer »

With 20 years on the job, an RCMP can "retire" with a reduced pension. To encourage some with medical or "discipline" issues who are close to the 20-year gate ( 18 years or so) deals can be made to "top them up" and open that gate.

The City of Surrey is about to fledge their own police department, and drop the RCMP. They need experienced applicants real fast, and will be offering signing bonuses no doubt. You see where I'm going with this..... 18 years a mountie; 20 year pension in the pocket, change sleeve patches, and back to work at full salary.
Balance cynicism with logic
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

kefer wrote: Nov 28th, 2021, 10:54 am With 20 years on the job, an RCMP can "retire" with a reduced pension. To encourage some with medical or "discipline" issues who are close to the 20-year gate ( 18 years or so) deals can be made to "top them up" and open that gate.

The City of Surrey is about to fledge their own police department, and drop the RCMP. They need experienced applicants real fast, and will be offering signing bonuses no doubt. You see where I'm going with this..... 18 years a mountie; 20 year pension in the pocket, change sleeve patches, and back to work at full salary.
I sort of figured they do this.
There are many ways around dicipline and " retiring"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

It certainly isn't a given that because she was a former RCMP that she'd be accepted into a municipal force. They do background checks.

I'd be surprised if this was the only indiscretion in her RCMP work history.

Doesn't sound like she's suited for the job, perhaps she's realized that as well.
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

my5cents wrote: Nov 28th, 2021, 12:46 pm It certainly isn't a given that because she was a former RCMP that she'd be accepted into a municipal force. They do background checks.

I'd be surprised if this was the only indiscretion in her RCMP work history.

Doesn't sound like she's suited for the job, perhaps she's realized that as well.
SMITH's work history is pretty good.
SMITH's handling of this one file can also be chalked up to how overworked the members are. Id she had the chance to do things differently, I'm sure she would.

No one here knows exactly what as going on that day for SMITH and where her focus was. How many ongoing files? How many new files in queue? Was she distracted?
Until you have spent a shift, a full shift rotation or a month with a member, you (not you my5cents, you as in collectively) have zero clue as what is happening, why certain decisions were made.

SMITH is an experienced member (pensionable) who's heart was always in the right place.

I can assure you that EVERY member with the benefit of hind sight would do some things differently.
Can't we all say the same thing?
Last edited by dreamon on Nov 28th, 2021, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

kefer wrote: Nov 28th, 2021, 10:54 am With 20 years on the job, an RCMP can "retire" with a reduced pension. To encourage some with medical or "discipline" issues who are close to the 20-year gate ( 18 years or so) deals can be made to "top them up" and open that gate.

I recall about 15 years ago Calgary PD opened a recruiting office directly across from the Surrey detachment, and did well.
SPD are pillaging the RCMP right now.
Pensionable Mounties will flock to SPD for the double dip.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

dreamon wrote: Nov 28th, 2021, 4:29 pm SMITH's work history is pretty good.
SMITH's handling of this one file can also be chalked up to how overworked the members are. Id she had the chance to do things differently, I'm sure she would.

No one here knows exactly what as going on that day for SMITH and where her focus was. How many ongoing files? How many new files in queue? Was she distracted?
Until you have spent a shift, a full shift rotation or a month with a member, you (not you my5cents, you as in collectively) have zero clue as what is happening, why certain decisions were made.

SMITH is an experienced member (pensionable) who's heart was always in the right place.

I can assure you that EVERY member with the benefit of hind sight would do some things differently.
Most of what you said is quite compelling, however we must address lying in the police file. That's pretty hard to ignore.
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

my5cents wrote: Nov 28th, 2021, 5:13 pm
dreamon wrote: Nov 28th, 2021, 4:29 pm SMITH's work history is pretty good.

Most of what you said is quite compelling, however we must address lying in the police file. That's pretty hard to ignore.
Or how many times she has done it. Also, if they are overworked then you don't just lie or select what you do for your job. That would get a person fired in any other company.

Return to “Central Okanagan”